What is a good hb1ac figure

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Yesterday I got my hb1ac results and it was 49 , last year it was 44 and I was told it was to low for a type 1 diabetic of my age 62 and type 1 for 46 , so it's gone up a bit this year but I have been reading on the forum that 42 -47 is classed as pre diabetic so i'me thinking 49 is too high a figure , The last serious hypo I had was about 16 years ago so I don't think going low is a problem so was just wondering what is a good hb1ac figure and what is the average result of others ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A good level is as low as you can without having problems with hypos (for many this can be a lot higher than mid 40's), do you use a CGM at all, if so and that showed you were having no problems when your HbA1c was 44 then it was not too low, my hospital have no issues with mine being about 45 at the mo, they have not complained at all cos they can see on my CGM results that I'm not having hypo issues, in fact they said it was very good (and proved that my requests for tech were a good thing - no more nighttime hypos:) )

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on the person.
For some, 53 is too low, because they can only reach that number through many hypos, for others below 40 is fine because they can reach that hba1c without many hypos.

Things have changed now so many people are using CGM. With a T1 who takes a fingerprick 4 times a day it makes sense to assume lots of hypos are happening.
But if they use a CGM you get an overview of what's happening all day, no more hidden nighttime hypos and such.
The last serious hypo I had was about 16 years ago
It's not only about the serious hypos with symptoms, it's also about going below 4 without noticing. Someone who only feels symptoms at 2.5 can be having hypos all the time without even knowing, if they rely on fingerpricks.
Not safe or healthy.
But if you notice your hypos at around 4, it's fine to have a low hba1c.

Mine is below 40, and my endo is happy with that, but if I didn't have the Libre I'd definitely be higher, for safety reasons! With the Libre I'm happy to be hovering in the higher 4's and lower 5's, because I know I'll notice if it starts dropping and I can prevent going below 4.
But if i saw a 4.8 on a fingerprick being out and about, and I'd have to wait hours before testing again, I wouldn't feel safe, and I'd likely nudge it up a little as a precaution.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
When I asked at my surgery a couple of years ago about a cgm I was told that I controlled my diabetes well enough that I didn't need it . I had to go to my surgery tuesday for my annual review when I would normally attend the Elsie Bertram clinic at our hospital , They didn't seem to want to give me the time of day I was in and out in 10 -15 minutes , not that I have any problems at the moment but it would have been nice to have a chat , is this the sort of service others are getting ?