PIP Entitlement?

Hi Guys,

So today a friend of mine who has been diabetic for around 11 years now mentioned I should look into PIP? Or any form of benefits. I have had diabetes Type 1 for 3 years now it’s still new to me I have never looked into ANY of this. Does anyone know more on this situation? I live alone so any form of benefit I will happily take to support my living situation

Thanks

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @InsulinAddict1310, type 1 by itself doesn't entitle you to PIP. If you have complications then you may be entitled. Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @InsulinAddict1310, unfortunately type 1 by itself doesn't entitle you to PIP. If you have complications then you may be entitled. Hope that helps :)
Funny, I think of it as "Fortunately, diabetes alone does not cause the kind of disabilities that would limit your Personal Independence and require Personal Independence Payment as our insulin is funded through taxes." :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny, I think of it as "Fortunately, diabetes alone does not cause the kind of disabilities that would limit your Personal Independence and require Personal Independence Payment as our insulin is funded through taxes." :)
agree and slightly disagree, but it’s semantics…

Complications that come from uncontrolled diabetes can be severe enough to get PIP. However, having seen first hand what that means, it’s not worth it. You need that extra money to support the challenges those issues cause

in my experience it is not a nice benefit to apply for, it is demeaning and they put you under incredible scrutiny and actively go out there way to make you feel bad for it

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok. I was just trying to be helpful. I apologise for my word choice.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So basically….don’t even apply ahahaha

You could apply and see? As others have said, you won't get it simply because you have type 1 diabetes (or any other type) or indeed any other medical condition. What they assess is how the condition affects you on a day to day basis. For example, (and these are some of the questions), Can you get up the stairs by yourself/can you cook food for yourself/How long can you stand up for/Do you need help leaving the house, and on and on. I acted as a friend for a person applying (non diabetic) and I have to agree it was a horrible, degrading process. We are all different albeit we may share a condition, are you finding it is disabling you to a large extent where you have great difficulty doing basic tasks?, if so get your GP/Diabetes team on board, their evidence will be crucial.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve written this in another post I think! I’ve had diabetes for 40 years now and I got PIP 7 years ago ,but I had to lose my leg to get it , (wish I could remember where I put it lol) . Diabetes on its own doesn’t really qualify you for PIP but serious complications of diabetes may and I say may entitle you to it , anyone thinking of applying get the CAB to help fill in the forms (which are numerous )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjraak