VERY high hbac1

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Because you are young to have T2 diabetes, then unless you are either obese or overweight there is quite a high chance that you are really a Type1. So if your BMI is 24 or below I suggest you get your GP to get you both T1 diagnostic tests done. Both the Antibodies and the C-Pep, because mi8s-diagnosis of later onset T1D is scarily common.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In my first week I went from glucose readings of 20 to 16, which resulted in worsening headaches and feelings of impending doom.

Whichever variant of diabetes you have, you can go down a similar pathway of either standard of care, optimum management, or so somewhere in between.

My advice would be to go for optimum, with the least amount of input as possible, via advice on here.

Reactions: Brettskee

Je21

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
So I’ve had the nurse from my practice phone me and she was quite surprised with what they did(or didn’t) do at the hospital and so I will be getting a C-Pep.

My levels have been coming down a bit with lower carbs but I “fell off the wagon” yesterday at a family bbq. (Rice and ***** worms- I know, I’m an idiot)

So yesterday I woke up and they were 13.9 before breakfast, I went for a run( which was about 30 minutes, not really distance but I was running up and down big stone steps in my local park) and when I got back they had gone up to 16.6 (still before breakfast). I then had my breakfast but didn’t check my levels until about 3 hours later and they were 15. I later went to the bbq and made some bad choices and my levels later last night were very high (almost 20) I definitely won’t be doing this again,I feel very stupid! This morning they were back to 16 before breakfast.

I have had some scrambled eggs for breakfast. I had a takeaway latte with full fat milk and at my work desk a piece of dark chocolate, I took my bloods and they’re high again(almost 20) Do you think this could have been the latte? Or the fact I ****** up yesterday? Will check again soon before lunch

Last edited:

ShortStuff

One of the things that pushed me into getting tested, was a headache anytime I ate. Plus drinking the planet dry every day -I had to take 3 bottles of water to bed each night! That was on top of drinking loads through the day.

did you buy the chocolate or was it given to you? I'd say it's a goid chance that could be the culprit (on top of the ***** worms!). Not all dark chocolate us low carb, some is as Carby as milk chocolate.

What did you have in/with your scrambled egg? Did you have toast?

I can drink takeaway lattes without it having a huge impact immediately, but I have a hunch (and that's all it is) that they make my levels a bit higher for a little while (not enough to stop me having them, but enough to not have one unless I really, really want one) plus I watch them making it, as a lot of places automatically use skim milk,
I prefer the coffee I make at home and I have cream in it-much nicer & doesn't affect my BG at all.

You're not an idiot, you're someone coming to terms with a big life change that takes some getting used to. You'll soon realise leaping off the wagon isn't worth it. (Though stupidly it doesn't stop me at times!! Getting back on the wagon is easy to put off & just think I'll start again Monday but it's so much better if you can stsy on the wagon or enjoy your off piste item/meal and get straight back on that wagon! What stops me day to day is being in keto and wanting to stay that way!! It's nice enjoying your food, but not being hungry/wanting junk all the time!!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really have any answers for you, but glad it is all being investigated, as it should. You'll find the most unexpected things spike sugars, so am glad you're testing and discovering too. Hang in there! It's confusing at first but then you get to know what you can and can't eat or drink. I'm continually disappointed that my numbers go up a lot after my three times a week exercise class. We're 40+ year olds, so it's not exactly cardio or anything massively strenuous (!).

For me, I was diagnosed T2 when I was 'young' - 36 - and had no symptoms and a normal BMI (around 22), but HBA1C of 46. My doctor was good and did all the testing for T1, which I wouldn't have had the foggiest to query otherwise. In the 8 years since, I've had high HBA1Cs - topping at 88 twice - and lower ones of 48-55, which are still high but are accepted as okay by my GP. The really highs corresponded exactly to eating bread, biscuits, chocolate, fruit on a regular but not binging basis and bad symptoms. The lower numbers were a low carb but not keto diet, which had hardly any symptoms. I'm trying strict keto at the moment, and it's brought my finger prick numbers down a lot. And also I have more energy and am sleeping less and waking up earlier, which has surprised my entire family!

It's taken 8 years but I've finally been diagnosed with a genetic disease that's responsible for my diabetes. Because of it I can't take metformin, so am personally trying to stay off the other meds for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Je21

Je21

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
One of the things that pushed me into getting tested, was a headache anytime I ate. Plus drinking the planet dry every day -I had to take 3 bottles of water to bed each night! That was on top of drinking loads through the day.

did you buy the chocolate or was it given to you? I'd say it's a goid chance that could be the culprit (on top of the ***** worms!). Not all dark chocolate us low carb, some is as Carby as milk chocolate.

What did you have in/with your scrambled egg? Did you have toast?

I can drink takeaway lattes without it having a huge impact immediately, but I have a hunch (and that's all it is) that they make my levels a bit higher for a little while (not enough to stop me having them, but enough to not have one unless I really, really want one) plus I watch them making it, as a lot of places automatically use skim milk,
I prefer the coffee I make at home and I have cream in it-much nicer & doesn't affect my BG at all.

You're not an idiot, you're someone coming to terms with a big life change that takes some getting used to. You'll soon realise leaping off the wagon isn't worth it. (Though stupidly it doesn't stop me at times!! Getting back on the wagon is easy to put off & just think I'll start again Monday but it's so much better if you can stsy on the wagon or enjoy your off piste item/meal and get straight back on that wagon! What stops me day to day is being in keto and wanting to stay that way!! It's nice enjoying your food, but not being hungry/wanting junk all the time!!

The chocolate wasn’t given to me, I bought it. It was 85% and less than 2g carb in the piece I had ☹️ Yes I don’t want them to keep going up I won’t be making that choice again

Je21

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not sure if anyone is still following this but I had bloods taken (c-pep and Gad) and I have been diagnosed as late-onset type 1.
I’ve got some upcoming appointments with diabetic team (I am hoping to be taken off the metformin as it has been giving me a horrible tummy!) Thank-you for everybody’s advice on here Xx

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if anyone is still following this but I had bloods taken (c-pep and Gad) and I have been diagnosed as late-onset type 1.
I’ve got some upcoming appointments with diabetic team (I am hoping to be taken off the metformin as it has been giving me a horrible tummy!) Thank-you for everybody’s advice on here Xx

It's good to hear that you've got a proper diagnosis now! Good luck with the appointments, here's to sane and sensible medics to work with.

I know pretty much nothing about Type1, but I do know there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who will offer plenty of help, support and advice.

Best wishes.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Good luck going forward. At least you now have a correct diagnosis!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, welcome to the club.
I'm very happy to hear you chased this up and got your proper diagnosis without struggling for months or years being misdiagnosed.
How do you feel about your new diagnosis?

You'll develop a whole new skill set in the upcoming months, please start new threads whenever you have questions!
And definitely mention to your new diabetes team you want to come off the metformin, they might well agree, but they might overlook it if you don't let them know the metformin doesn't sit well with you.

When is your first appointment?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Well, excellent that you've now got a correct diagnosis. (I must admit I was boggled by your doctor telling you you had to be T2 because your hba1c was so high.) Though obviously T1s have the disadvantage that they are stuck with insulin, there are compensations, in particular they tend to have more dietary freedom than T2s because they can match there insulin to their food and activity. Plus, they tend to be eligible for more NHS goodies than T2s (eg insulin pumps, libre monitors and hospital diabetes care) though I should point out that much of the technology seems to be a bit of postcode lottery. Lots of LADA/T1 folk on these forums to advise/commiserate with you on the early stages (I'm an old school childhood T1 so I don't really remember the early days.)

You might want to change the diabetes type on your profile?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good that you've got the correct diagnosis- I just found this thread and I've been reading to the end hoping you'd get checked for T1. I think following what Antje said earlier will keep you on the right path. I am sorry, of course, that you have T1, but with those numbers, something had to be done: now your condition is known, your path is much clearer. There are a bunch of really knowledgeable, friendly T1's on here, and I'm sure you can get good advice. The diabetes sub on Reddit leans heavily towards T1, and while it's more chat based than advice based, there are some good people sharing experiences there. Mostly people about your age too.

Reactions: Antje77