COVID vaccination

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning, I received my first vaccine yesterday, Pfizer.
Very nice friendly and helpful staff too. It all went like clockwork, we are given a card with the date of vaccine, the batch number and the date of the second one, same time same place.
A taxi company in my town was giving free taxi rides to the cantre, free of charge, which was great as it was too far for me to walk and some buses have changed their route and times too.
Side affects : I have a sore arm and nausea late last night, but still here alive and kicking.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’, I had the first dose of the Astra Zeneca on Friday and plenty of side effects even though they’re supposedly inversely proportional to age. Fatigue, nausea, headache, aching limbs. The frightening one, though, was severe hypotension. I don’t think this is a common one and I’ve filled a yellow card. I crashed straight down onto my back, ouch, and then collapsed a second time on the bathroom floor. Medical rescuers found my bp extremely low, and pulse disappearing etc. Not nice. Maybe coincidental? Very small sample of people over 65 in the AZ trials.
Husband, also ‘elderly’, has had the AZ first dose too and he’s had a headache and fatigue but no crashing to the floor. He’s now charging around and enjoying walks in the snow.
Ironically, since the Baffy B said he’s got ‘faith’ in the AZ, I seem to have lost some confidence in it. I was hoping to get the Pfizer but the AZ’s a great deal better than nothing. At least the AZ labs are already working on a booster for the SA variant.
51 years of T1 now and classed as ‘elderly’ (urgh) so maybe there’s some silent damage to autonomic and arterial systems? I’ve sent an email to the Consultant asking his advice about the second one. If I do have it then my bedroom will be prepared beforehand as a superb resting centre, a 21st century food, drink and entertainment boudoir.
Thinking of the ways a virus evolves, I think in future we may be giving babies little masks that match their babygrows. On the bright side, it’s early days still and the vaccine labs have done a superb job in getting the jabs out there already!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My "shielded" 54 year old son had his vaccination last Friday. The only reaction was a pink, and aching arm. I had mine on Sunday (as one of the over 70 group) and had not even a mark where the vaccine went in. Nada. We had the Pfizer vaccine. My brother and sister in law had the Astra Zenika one 2 weeks ago. He had no ill effects but she had all the published side effects and they lasted, gradually fading, for over a week! None of us regrets our decision to accept the vaccine but I have to say that I was surprised that my son, who suffers from lots of intolerances and allergies, decided to go ahead with it.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Max68

Was quite surprised to hear that all SEN staff from my old school have been invited by the NHS to take the vaccine last week and have been booking slots. All ages as well which was interesting to hear considering there doesn't seem to have been anything public about school staff receiving them. Delighted for them though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Was quite surprised to hear that all SEN staff from my old school have been invited by the NHS to take the vaccine last week and have been booking slots. All ages as well which was interesting to hear considering there doesn't seem to have been anything public about school staff receiving them. Delighted for them though.

My friend, who is a part-time teacher at our local secondary, and is 64 was offered the vaccine about a month ago - before even the nursing homes had been completed. She was confused and refused. Neither of us can figure out why she was offered it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend, who is a part-time teacher at our local secondary, and is 64 was offered the vaccine about a month ago - before even the nursing homes had been completed. She was confused and refused. Neither of us can figure out why she was offered it.
I think it's all very random, depending on what area you are in and how much vaccine the surgeries have been allocated.

Bevhs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a delightful conversation with my friends this evening about the COVID vaccination. It was interesting to see everyone’s perspective. We were split in the middle between taking it immediately and not taking it at all.
Wow I was surprised that so many people are sceptical about the vaccines. I can not wait to have mine and I really think they should be made compulsory unless a person has a very good reason for not having one! This for many of us is a death sentence if we catch Covid.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread is absolutely staggering. I feel that I have suddenly arrived at a Trump rally, sharing conspiracy theories and a breeding ground for anti-vax garbage. Exhaustive, huge-sample testing, disaggregated results and peer review will do for me. I rely on insulin and I will similarly rely on either of the two vaccines that are coming on stream and hope that all but a tiny minority do so too.

Absolutely, mines booked this Saturday, wonder if this went on when injectable insulin was discovered

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I hope she can contact her surgery and ask to be kept on the offer list.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a delightful conversation with my friends this evening about the COVID vaccination. It was interesting to see everyone’s perspective. We were split in the middle between taking it immediately and not taking it at all.
I am recovering from having experienced Covid first hand and have been offered the vaccination but on advise of NHS 111 have been told to leave it at least a month since being diagnosed.
My husband is currently in ICU fighting for his life, I am all for the vaccination because I never ever want to go through this experience everbagain.
I have been married 31 years and fingers crossed hope to have more

Bevhs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am recovering from having experienced Covid first hand and have been offered the vaccination but on advise of NHS 111 have been told to leave it at least a month since being diagnosed.
My husband is currently in ICU fighting for his life, I am all for the vaccination because I never ever want to go through this experience everbagain.

Hi I do hope your husband recovers well. Your experience sounds dreadful. I’ve got my vaccine next Thursday and I’m so hopeful it will eventually give us all a better future.
Take care xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zand

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Fingers crossed for you and your husband @Lowcarb 2. At least, having only just recovered from the virus, you should have some antibodies to help to protect you for a short time. Hope all goes well for your husband.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope all goes well for your husband - do take care - sending a virtual hug your way

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
having had Covid and giving it to my husband who was so poorly with 5days in ICU and I got a phone call to say he might not make the night , he survived but suffered mini stroke, blood clots and has long and short term memory loss i am all for it, been 6 months and getting there, been told could take up to a year before he is himself again, but will always suffer some long term effects

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had both my AZ covid vaccinations, plus getting 2021 / 22 flue shot in the last three or four months.

No side effects from them whatsoever.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Not had covid shots as I'm convinced it's a very big gamble for me with my health problems.
Did have a pneumonia shot last Wednesday.
The covid rate of infection is rising rapidly in the most vaccinated countries but not in the least vaccinated countries.
I wonder what that's all about.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I was vaccinated in April, just had an antibody test, a requirement to prove to Singapore that I was vaccinated. It was positive, so that’s cool. The vaccine actually did something lol