Eaten next to nothing still high bg

Brettskee

Hi can anyone explain in last posts I’ve put very high bgs for over a year and half between 20 to 30 everyday had this gall bladder prob for past 9 weeks I lost about 1stone in 7 weeks due to not eating much bgs still were at 18to 24 the odd 33+now had gall bladder removed last Tuesday didn’t eat anything a week prior to op and all I have had since op is a banana and some bean sprouts bloods waking up 14.6 then still increasing through the day to 20 without food and lost another stone in 2 weeks was 14.2 stone 9 weeks ago now just under 12 stone going for a c peptide test in 2 hours last h1abc test was 2 weeks 3 weeks ago and was 10.9

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome. I'm glad you are having a c peptide test. Let us know the result. The type of diabetes really matters when giving suggestions.

It must be very frustrating to try hard and not get results. A banana would spike me but I really don't know how as it isn't part of my diet anymore.

Good luck and let us know the results of the tests.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Brettskee, you state that you ate nothing for a whole week! That is a starvation diet, and could cause serious health problems!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
going for a c peptide test in 2 hours last h1abc test was 2 weeks 3 weeks ago and was 10.9

It's really good that you are getting the cpeptide test. If your bgs are high because of lack of insulin then you should feel a lot better once that issue is addressed.

Are you still in hospital? I am not a doctor but I am very concerned that you basically haven't eaten anything for a week and a half. Have you had a glucose drip or anything like that? Or the medical team addressing your food (lack of) issues?

Brettskee

Hi elliem just out of hospital surgery didn’t go to plan had a bile leak on to my left side which caused massive inflammation been on antibiotic drips then sent me home with same they didn’t seem to concerned with lack of food but got to have another operation on the 2august because of the problem in surgery never rains but pours seems to be just in hospital now for anti -gad abs and also pancreas islet cell antibodies

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Brettskee, nothing much to add really but I don't think we can blame the 'killer' banana for 18 months of high glucose and your current health issues and hospital procedures. It's very hard to focus purely on your preferred diet choices whether low carb or not, when you are in & out of hospital, in pain and discomfort and probably weak as well. No doubt they will be wanting you strong for any future operations as well so if I were you I would carry on doing my best to eat a little something that you can cope with (gall bladder wise) even if it is higher carb than you'd normally eat, such as a banana and then when you are a little better you can hopefully get back to some sort of normality and approach and get some answers as to why you have been so high for so long. Don't be made to feel bad about a banana as it seems that's all you can get down, the alternative may be to starve! x

Reactions: lucylocket61

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Ask your consultant about medication options including insulin to help bring your blood sugars down. If you end up being type 2, after your c-peptide test, you may not need to be on medication such as insulin long term.

Reactions: KK123

Brettskee

Thx kk just thought that bgs would of come down a lot more and not rose so high with not eating but just had that c peptide test today and new consultant on Tuesday should have some answers then will keep posted of outcome on Tuesday thx again

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
While carbs in food is the 'usual suspect', high BG can be caused by many things:
infection
injury
stress
lack of sleep
medication including statins and steroids

perhaps its a case of your liver being 'helpful'. Yes, many have a bad Dawn Phenomenon where liver puts glucose (from its stores) into blood stream in order for you to hunt/gather your cave dweller's breakfast! In some (including myself) BG can keep rising even though no food is consumed (just water). In my case any zero-carb meal will stop the process (liver realises it's effort is no longer needed).

Brettskee

Can say yes to 5 of the 6 things u listed I had some food this evening checked bgs before they was 13.4 2hours after 13.4 think that is the first time in 6 years that’s happened at least I’ve eaten hopefully can tomorrow didn’t think a sausage could taste that good lol thx