Sores on skin

Irish monkey

Hi , I have had type 2 for 14 years. Recently my skin has started breaking out into tiny itchy sores on my upper body . I literally have dozens of them on my arm ,face and upper chest .
The medics haven’t got a clue how to deal with it and have referred me to the dermatology department at the local hospital .
I also have slow growing leukaemia so I am not sure if it is the diabetes , leukaemia or something else .
Can anyone advise please.

Attachments

• C821909B-BAEC-4EC4-BE0B-22BB2532F6B7.jpeg
    C821909B-BAEC-4EC4-BE0B-22BB2532F6B7.jpeg
    924.8 KB · Views: 128

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I wish you well in finding a cure/cause.
I've had a few bouts of itchy sores like that (but worse). No lotions helped for more than a few minutes and at worst I couldn't sit for more than 30 minutes at a time due to pressure on sores on thighs.
I don't know for sure what causes them. My last serious bout was years before my T2D diagnosis , so probably not linked. One r one Dermatologist said they were due to medication - statins amongst others. But the problem with that diagnosis is that, for example, I hadn't taken a statin for over 6 months before my first but of itchy sores began.
The trouble is that there are so many medications which have skin problems as possible side effects.

Irish monkey

Thank you for your reply , I have been on most of my medicines for over a decade but this is a fairly recent occurrence over about 4 years starting with the odd blister then lots of them . The blisters seem to have gone away now but replaced by itchy spots that turn into sores and sores just erupting overnight .
I will check my medicines and look at side effects .

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think the correct way forward is to see dermatologist. I think it is fairly unusual to have these lesions on the upper body. Please let us know how you get on.

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So... I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, and I have zero idea if this is what your problem is. BUT. I do know that as we age, our livers slowly become less efficient at cleaning up our blood, and over time, some medications can build up in the body to levels where they now cause side effects they didn't before. So sometimes older folks might need to reduce their dosage of some medicines a little, to stay within a therapeutic level but not cause the unwanted side effects. Don't do this on your own - ask your doctor about it.