Help.

Dajwid

I’ve been feeling tired, out of breath for a few months. In December doctor did ECG blood pressure and a blood clot test, booked a chest X-ray. I called after a week and was told everything is OK. I put it down to getting older (57).
2 weeks ago I called again as feeling rough. I had a phone consultation and she arranged a full bloods test. 3 days later I received a text,

Your test results are available please telephone the surgery to book a telephone consultation with the diabetic nurse to discuss these. Thank you.

she is away on Holiday and I need to wait a week so know anything …. I know nothing about Diabetes at all only horror stories as I worked in care, blindness, losing limbs …

I’m trying to eat what I think I should until I speak to her, fruit, veg, whole meal bread ? Fish? I’ve order a couple of books ..
I’m panicking

Last edited by a moderator:

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome, please don't panic. Your results are not available yet although if you have online access with your surgery you can get them. I have lived and managed T2 for some 20yrs+ and have no side effects at all. As far as your diet is concerned I would suggest that you stop eating bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and go easy on fruits limiting fruit to berries. All the foods I have listed above contain high levels of carbohydrate which turns to Glucose in your body. Most above ground veg is good as are meats and fish. Have a look at the Diet Doctor web site and this site for tasty low carbohydrate foods.

Finally relax, when you have your diagnosis, if it is T2 or prediabeties, get a meter and test your reaction to what you eat that will allow you to take out foods your system reacts badly to.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your test results are available please telephone the surgery to book a telephone consultation with Sharon diabetic nurse to discuss these. Thank you.

Apart from anything else, what a horrendous way in which to inform you. I understand lack of staff, no GPs available to actually phone you and all the rest but I don't care, a text following a blood test that tells you to call the Diabetes Nurse (who's not even there) is disgraceful. I do not know of any other life altering disease that is told to you by text! You have come to the right place though so try not to panic too much, if I were you I would still phone the GP, tell them Sharon is out and YOU want to know now what is going on. x

Reactions: EllieM

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If your numbers were bad enough to require panicking, they would have told you to go to the emergency department. Diabetes is a long game, so just start reading some basic material like in the Newly Diagnosed section on this website, and start thinking about easy sources of excess sugar you can eliminate now. Make sure to get exercise if you don't currently. If you have a public library where you live, go see what they have that you can be reading.

Reactions: EllieM

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been feeling tired, out of breath for a few months. In December doctor did ECG blood pressure and a blood clot test, booked a chest X-ray. I called after a week and was told everything is OK. I put it down to getting older (57).
2 weeks ago I called again as feeling rough. I had a phone consultation and she arranged a full bloods test. 3 days later I received a text,

Your test results are available please telephone the surgery to book a telephone consultation with the diabetic nurse to discuss these. Thank you.

she is away on Holiday and I need to wait a week so know anything …. I know nothing about Diabetes at all only horror stories as I worked in care, blindness, losing limbs …

I’m trying to eat what I think I should until I speak to her, fruit, veg, whole meal bread ? Fish? I’ve order a couple of books ..
I’m panicking
This is an appalling way to treat anyone. I'm assuming you're T2....First thing, don't panic, the scare stories relate to people who don't manage their diabetes and allow the disease to get worse and worse. It is actually relatively simple to make quick changes to start to improve your health. First thing: forget all the "healthy eating" advice the NHS and the media keep pushing at us. This so-called "eatwell" diet is a high carbohydrate diet and while it might suit some people it is definitely not good for T2s like me. I would say it's what gave me T2 in the first place.

I guess you don't know what your blood glucose reading is - it will be higher than 48 as that's the level where they automatically diagnose diabetes. I would advise getting a blood test meter (@Rachox has a list of what's generally available) that will give you a snapshot of what your BG is at the point you test, so you can evaluate the impact various foods have on your blood glucose. It will show you how you progress. We do not all react to carbs in the same way - some of us can tolerate more than others, or react differently to different carb sources. I'm particularly sensitive to flour, for example, and it will spike my readings very quickly.

This is what happened with me - when I was diagnosed in December 2019 (HbA1c 50) I stopped eating bread (all bread), rice (all rice), pasta, potatoes and sugar. Root vegetables are generally high in carb and I avoid them. I don't eat fruit apart from strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, and even then not so much. I eat lots of above ground green veg and as much meat and dairy as I want. I also usually only eat one meal a day and go 18 hours or so without eating. I have never felt hungry, so this isn't an ordeal. Lost about 20kg and six inches off my waist.

I have been on a ~20g carb/day routine since then, with the odd meal off (I mean every couple of months or so) but I've found I don't really want to eat carbs the way I did. My BG was back to normal levels in four months. Officially in remission by April 2021. Others on this forum have had much worse starting levels and have reduced them more quickly.

It is not all that difficult, but it depends on how well you can reduce your carb intake. You do have to want to do it.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Dajwid and welcome to the forum, I’m sorry to hear your story. Thanks for the tag @KennyA

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm afraid you have experienced the NHS in way many of us have. It has extremes both ways and as you will find managing diabetes is about taking control along the way. Yes, don't panic. Get hold of a meter and find out where you are. Test 2 hours after typical meals. Keep the carbs in your meals down. Wholemeal bread is more healthy but still has similar carb content as white bread. Be careful with diabetes books as I've read some where the author has absolutely no clue and thinks you need to reduce Sugar/Salt/Fat. Fat is fine for us but Carbs aren't. This website is superb and has most of the information you will ever need - just ask.

Dajwid

Today the Diabetic nurse called. Oh I do lots of jobs, she said. No you are not diabetic, you have slightly raised Cholesterol, that’s what I wanted to discuss.
I Pearl lots on this site and will certainly be changing what I eat.
I’m pleased but disgusted at my doctors sending out such misinformation

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pleased to hear it's not what you feared and you are not diabetic. Good luck.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today the Diabetic nurse called. Oh I do lots of jobs, she said. No you are not diabetic, you have slightly raised Cholesterol, that’s what I wanted to discuss.
I Pearl lots on this site and will certainly be changing what I eat.
I’m pleased but disgusted at my doctors sending out such misinformation
That's really good news. You must be relieved!

I repeat: what an appalling way to treat anyone.