Setting target range (Libre)

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having successfully gotten my local Pharmacist to set up a Libre account, was chatting to the pharmacist who advised me to maybe not stick with the default target range but perhaps change it to what is expected for a T2 (suggested 4.0-7.8 or maybe consider 8.5 to see if my post-prandial scans stay within an acceptable range,

Curious to see what others have done. At the moment I have mine at 4-7.8 from the default which was 3.9-6...so not surprisingly now I am far better at staying in target.... then will hopefully bring it back to what ‘normal’ levels are if/when I get my A1C down.

Reactions: MAJJU

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine’s set to 4.0-7.5, those are the targets I was set when I did DAFNE. Maybe it’s different for T1 and T2?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ranges are interesting ones. In any kind of clinical trial the target range is 3.9-10mmol/l, (70-180 mg/dl) but in everyday life it pays to be more like 3.9-7.7, as 7.7 is the point above which glucose levels start to introduce oxidation and therefore tissue damage.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have mine set to 4 - 10mmol

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4-7.8 is what Ive set it at
Annoyingly my libre keeps putting me out of range with random hypos (currently nightly) and occasional hypers that dont tally with the tests I then do with my meter ( up to 3mmol out)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I set mine at 4 to 7, as that is exactly what I aim for.

First of all decide what your aim is, then set it at that.

Reactions: RFSMarch

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Personally (and this is just me), I think setting too high an upper limit is doing yourself a disservice. You think you’re in range, but you’re just not. I’ve done it myself, to get the graphs looking nice, but it’s just lying to myself.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally (and this is just me), I think setting too high an upper limit is doing yourself a disservice. You think you’re in range, but you’re just not. I’ve done it myself, to get the graphs looking nice, but it’s just lying to myself.

Yeah I thought 8.5 would be too high as an overall limit, but using the (very broad) guidelines of 4-7.8 for T2 from this very site seemed to be a good rule of thumb. And when (not if... think POSITIVE, Rozzington-Bear) I get my levels more towards pre-diabetic, that might be the time to set it back to the defaults.

I suppose this is the downside of never being home long enough to go on any of the courses the GP was originally invited to send me on. Then again - he took one look at my folder with my BP, Libre charts and food/exercise diaries and just laughed at the thought of my 'discussions' with them about writing all that down in a notebook!

Cheers all... v helpful!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5-7.0 is what I've my Libre set to; my actual Contour meter is slightly different in that I can set various different targets for fasting, pre and post meals, and these are 5.0-6.5, 5.0-6.5 and 5.0-7.0. But my sensor always reads lower than my finger priclk tests. With the Contour I've changed my targets as I've gained better control as I found it was most helpful to have them easily achievable when I was learning how to managel my levels.

But I think to a certain extent that it's a personal decision as different circumstances can dictate what is actually possible to achieve.

Robbity

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @RFSMarch You may want to set a wide target initially, so you don’t get too stressed for your first sensor or two, if you go above 7.0. So 4 to 9, or 4 - 10 will only highlight the occasions you want to focus on.

With the additional information you learn from the Libre (about the impact of foods, exercise and insulin) you should find it easier to achieve your ideal target. You can then reset the target range.

Ps. I don’t think you should set the range below 3.9 or 4 - you always want hypos to be highlighted.

My range is set to 4.0 - 7.0.

Reactions: mgimenes

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @RFSMarch You may want to set a wide target initially, so you don’t get too stressed for your first sensor or two, if you go above 7.0. So 4 to 9, or 4 - 10 will only highlight the occasions you want to focus on.

With the additional information you learn from the Libre (about the impact of foods, exercise and insulin) you should find it easier to achieve your ideal target. You can then reset the target range.

Ps. I don’t think you should set the range below 3.9 or 4 - you always want hypos to be highlighted.

My range is set to 4.0 - 7.0.

I opted for 4-7.8 and if my post prandial scans are above that, like you say that shows what needs to be focused on. I never know when I go super low if it is the sensor playing up or any other issue... my diagnosing GP hates that I use it, but a doctor I saw for help with continuing reactions to the sensor seemed more interested in it and apologetic that they couldn’t prescribe it so I might get an appointment with him and ask about the various lows I seem to have... I am only on Metformin so “shouldn’t“ have hypos... but I certainly know when my sugars are dropping ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

PY

Hi everyone, I have been using the Freestyle Libra for a short while now, how do i change the targets? I have been reading the interesting chats above and all very helpful. My setting is between 5.6 - 7.8 -factory settings but wanted to bring it down to 4.5 - 7.8 which is a better range i think. And more attainable.
Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 dots top right screen. Change your targets there.

Wardy29

Hi

How does one change time in target? For libre 2, I've done it before and can't change it now? I use the sensor and not my phone

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

How does one change time in target? For libre 2, I've done it before and can't change it now? I use the sensor and not my phone
I don’t think you can change that? It’s an indication of past tense I think, if you can, I prolly will because it’s what medical people look at when on the phone and deciding how badly I need telling off lol

Reactions: Wardy29

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
5-9 for me and my Hb1ac has been in low 50s so that’s good enough for me seeing as I was in high 90s before I had a Libre which in my humble opinion is why everyone should have a Libre would save NHS money in the long run.

Wardy29

I don’t think you can change that? It’s an indication of past tense I think, if you can, I prolly will because it’s what medical people look at when on the phone and deciding how badly I need telling off lol
Thanks, I'm sure I've done it before but might be making that up