Diabetic since 1999, kidneys now fluctuate between 60 and 73% worried

josh010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am posting for some advice, I have since 2019, and since I started Empagliflozin, 5mg x twice daily, and also I am on Ozempic 1mg weekly and Gliclazide 1/2 Tab before main meal, my blood sugars have stabilised now to a rate of 7.2% from 10.5% with these medications, I have also lost over 27Lbs in weight (but in recent months put back on 8lbs due to being put on Gliclazide as my body was not making enough insulin).

I am generally very happy now, I am 55 and since starting the above medicine, my Kidney function has gone from 86% to today a reading of 62%, the doctor did seemed worried but said it was satisfactory - my creatine is in the 116 rate, and Urea is 11.6, but he said it could be due to dehydration, I had been hospitalised before when I was on 12.5mg Empagliflozin and they reduced the rated to 5mg, so since that time I have seen my Kidney function range from September 2020 (78%) March 2021 (65%) then May 2021 (68%) and today at 62 %.

I am deeply worried that I am either dehydrated or my kidneys are getting worse, the GP can not confirm either but I do stay very thirsty all the time, I am just hoping if I can get advice from other forum members as to their experience in dealing with deteriorating Kidney Function and if there is any way in improving this at all.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I understand your worry , I too have a reduced kidney function , I got sepsis after I had my leg amputated which put my kidney function down to 1% and enough for the hospital to tell my partner I wouldn’t make the night , I did and after 10 days of dialysis my kidney function recovered to 28-32 %, it hasn’t affected me anyways except a bit of a fatigue now and then recent tests have shown that my function is down to about 23% , I’m not worried , I was told by the renal department that blood pressure is important to kidney function and high blood pressure is , bad , kidney function has to be below 8 % before dialysis is required apparently , I am doing everything I can, eating healthily , exercising etc etc , so will deal with what ever whenever

josh010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I understand your worry , I too have a reduced kidney function , I got sepsis after I had my leg amputated which put my kidney function down to 1% and enough for the hospital to tell my partner I wouldn’t make the night , I did and after 10 days of dialysis my kidney function recovered to 28-32 %, it hasn’t affected me anyways except a bit of a fatigue now and then recent tests have shown that my function is down to about 23% , I’m not worried , I was told by the renal department that blood pressure is important to kidney function and high blood pressure is , bad , kidney function has to be below 8 % before dialysis is required apparently , I am doing everything I can, eating healthily , exercising etc etc , so will deal with what ever whenever

God bless, you I am so proud of you in dealing with this I am probably being too concerned, I have looked at Bicarbonate of Soda and provide a link, if this would be helpful to you too, I am going to take 1/4 teaspoon in a litre of water and will let you know how I did in my next test which is in 1 month as I have medication I am on for Mental ill health, I truly try to do everything I can and once I get one thing in order, the next thing comes along - I suppose its just life in general and worry with Covid and everything else just seems to exasperate matters for me.

My BP is 118/80 always below 125/90 - but after the tests today I just was so worried thank you so much for your kind words, I shall relax and not try and think about it too much, I am so glad you are coping well and your a great inspiration to the likes of me, who dont understand (especially as the NHS has no time to explain) what is going on when they just tell you "your Kidney Function is on 2 nd stage, and you need to come to the surgery ! but then you go to GP and he says its probably dehydration, I was thinking all sorts...

https://www.kireports.org/article/S2468-0249(20)31852-0/fulltext

josh010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just found this video I will check this out too, please check it out as its important to learn all we can about how everyone deals with this :