Fellow men! Optimal range to initiate sex?

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Last time I had intimacy it was before my diagnosis. A long time ago now. I'm curious what range to aim for at the start of sex? Should I keep orange juice and glucose tabs on the cupboard? And if I need to test my sugar in the midst of it, then at what time frame should I consider?

Thank you in advance. :bag:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Last time I had intimacy it was before my diagnosis. A long time ago now. I'm curious what range to aim for at the start of sex? Should I keep orange juice and glucose tabs on the cupboard? And if I need to test my sugar in the midst of it, then at what time frame should I consider?

Hi,

To be fair, I normally will know if I am going going low.. ;)
High BGs? The Body's tellin me yes, but the mind says "not tonight dear."
I see muffin wrong, keepin a little hypo treatment near...

Having a beeping alarm CGM set up says, "it isn't you, it's me.."

Personally, I never thought about an "optimal range" with two consenting adults.
If I was to treat it like doing a gig.? Around the 6.5mmol mark? Then see where the music takes it..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious what range to aim for at the start of sex? Should I keep orange juice and glucose tabs on the cupboard?
Sex is no different from other exercises, blood sugar wise, it can make you drop or it can make you rise. I'd prepare about the same as you would for a bike ride or a swim or such.
The optimal range will differ from person to person so you'll have to find out what works for you through practice :)

And yes, keep orange juice or glucotabs next to the bed. Or take it to the next level and put honey next to the bed so you can incorporate treating the hypo with your other activities!

As for the time frame for testing, again, it's highly personal, but for starters I'd again go for using your experiences with other activities as a template.

Enjoy!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends if its tantric or high intensity of course.
To answer your original question -maybe 8-12 depending on whether you've got active insulin on board (within 4 hours of a bolus dose) to avoid unpleasant interruptions with the juice.

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe people making fun of this?!? I'm brittle, diagnosed in adulthood and BS sensitive to exercise and no day is the same. The last thing I want is to cause the partner a headache with all the diabetic hassle. Thanks to those who were kind enough to answer, but now I regret asking.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe people making fun of this?!? I'm brittle, diagnosed in adulthood and BS sensitive to exercise and no day is the same. The last thing I want is to cause the partner a headache with all the diabetic hassle. Thanks to those who were kind enough to answer, but now I regret asking.
As I am not type 1 I can’t answer but it is good that you are seeking advice. Hopefully your partner in understanding and you are able to have these conversations with them. Mutual understanding and support is important

sometimes people feel embarrassed but these conversations are needed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Several posts in this thread have been deleted for making light of a sensitive subject. Please don’t jest about a genuine issue.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is your partner someone you talk to your diabetes about? I assume if your partner is someone you love then this should be fun and relaxing occasion even if you need to stop -start. The approach should be similar to exercise i.e. you start a little higher so that you end up in the right bg zone.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi again,

To be quite frank. The "adult entertainment industry" depictions are not the "benchmark" anyone should feel as an aim for.
I can appreciate getting caught out with the odd low. If your partner realy cares? They will understand.
It can be a physical activity, the same consideration should apply if some one pulled a muscle or antagonised an old injury?

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Hi there, as with anything else it's different for everyone but this was a universal question from the men on a diabetes course I was on. The consensus was that actually you are likely to go higher during sex rather than lower, ie your body is getting ready for a flight or fight response and starts to release cortisol & adrenaline, etc, the you get a whoosh of glucose from the liver. Like exercise generally, a longer, slower run may lower your levels whilst a shorter, more intense burst will raise them. Trial and error in a way. When I was going low after a run (steady pace, around 40 minutes) they told me for the last 2 minutes to run faster, I did and my levels shot up immediately. Hope this helps as I am sure the principles are very similar.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is a good question and tricky to get right / lots to consider. For me the following is true (and for reference my normal range is 4-8 that I achieve around 85-90% of the time).

Less than 4: we don't have lift off
4 - 4.5: not ideal but ok
4.5 - 6.5: all systems go, in the 5s is perfect. If can stay here then hours of fun possible.
6.5 - 7: not ideal but ok
7-9: would psychologically really rather not have erections as damage being caused to blood vessels and nerves.
Above 9: we don't have lift off (might still be psycholigical, but also physical as lower levels of nitric oxide being released that are needed for erection), but the thought of erect penis being damaged by high sugars is not appealing. Plus at these levels i'm feeling lethargic and brain fog, not what you want for sex.

So 4.5 - 6.5 is a very tight range.

For me one of the biggest frustrations of T1 in that this makes spontaneity very difficult. Achieving that stable range takes planning. A nice evening meal, then romatic evening... ok, but lets low carb the meal and wait 3 hours for the main action.

The advice to not have much short acting insulin on board is good (so at least c3+ hours) as that should stop any rapid drops.

Starting higher within the 4.5-6.5 range makes sense to allow for lowering of BS. So if i was at eg 4.8 before things began, i might take some short acting carbs while freshing up, enough to get into the 6s. But while I might start sports exercise higher eg up to 10, that is just not possible and certainly not desirable in terms of erections and long term erectile health.

In terms of when to test again, well I have a CGM, but maybe go on feeling? But if you unexpectedly lose / can't get erection then test then, might be you're low or high, both of which kill erections.

Communication with partner is very good idea, some won't be supportive but others will. Another good chance to weed out the bad ones.

Reactions: Rhys. and Struma