Cashew and chilli coated chicken

Cashew and chilli coated chicken

This coating is very nice and crispy.
Serves 4

4 Chicken breasts

2dl cashews

2x Red chillies

2x Eggs

Start by cutting the chicken fillets lengthways, but dont cut them right through, then open them up like you would open a book, place them between two pieces of cling film and bash them with a rolling pin to give you an even thicknes
Finely chop the nuts, do the same with the chillies. Mix them on a plate. Beat the eggs. Dip the chicken fillets in egg and then in the cashew chilli mixture. Fry in a mix of butter and oil over medium heat, a couple of minutes on each side until fillets are nicely browned and cooked through.

Serve with a dip of your choice,
We had this with a creamy coleslaw and bacon wrapped roasties (= cut swede into biggish chunks, wrap a rasher of bacon around each piece, place in roasting dish, drizzle with melted ghee or oil).

I made Scotch eggs last night to take to a party, made half of them with the usual low carb coating of a mixture of parmesan and ground almonds, the other half I made with this cashew chilli coating, both very popular 'they make ordinary Scotch eggs boring' is what people said.
http://metrobloggen.se/millasmat/cashew ... _kyckling/

WhitbyJet

wiflib said:
By request for those with a sweet tooth (but check out the grilled cheese sandwich)

http://www.ticklemysweettooth.com/blog/

wiflib

This site is truly worth checking out, I made the chilli on Thursday, YUMMY is all I can say, served it with the corn bread (see recipe above) and topped with a dollop of soured cream.

Yesterday my daughters and I were in a playful mood, we made brownies, then made them into Santa's hats, see here http://daisyt13.wordpress.com/2011/12/0 ... -brownies/

PLEASE NOTE: the link was provided to show the photo of the Santa's hats, dont use the brownie recipe as it is not low carb. There are low carb brownie recipes in Chocolate Paradise thread.
You can use the mascarpone cream recipe in the link, just make sure that you replace the powdered sugar with Splenda or other sweetener of your choice.

alliebee

Re: Low Carb Recipes.

fergus said:
Pate on celery is the cat's nuts, without a doubt.
Incidentally, not only is it brussels pate season, it's also the time of the eponymous sprout.
Try this:
Fry some pancetta cubes for 5 mins while you finely shred 15-20 sprouts. Add to the pancetta with a chopped stick of celery and a crushed clove of garlic. Add a good splash of dry white wine. Now we play the waiting game. Allow it to simmer under a lid for 10-15 mins and you will have the most magical sprouts of all time.

fergus

FERGUS. You deserve a Christmas Nobel prize for that recipe, :D :D

Made this last night, and 6 friends keep emailing me today asking for this recipe!!!

was super delish, amazing ... what a recipe yum. Think people must try, as ists much more than the recipe suggests, the flavour really rocks the dish....

WhitbyJet

Almond Biscuits, esp good with cheese

Almond Biscuits
These go really well with cheese

2 cups ground almonds

1 cup sesame seeds

2 egg whites

1 / 2 teaspoon salt

sweetener equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar

2 teaspoons of fibre husks (use either psyllum fibre husks or ground flaxseeds)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

Mix together all ingredients, if the dough seems a little too dry, add a little bit of water to make it nice and pliable.
Line and grease a baking sheet, shape dough into small balls, place onto prepared baking sheet and flatten them into circles, or you could use fancy pastry cutters to get all different shapes.

Sprinkle the biscuits with any of the following flavourings, gently patting them on to the surface,
- sea salt
- poppy seeds
- Thyme & garlic powder
- Basil & parmesan
- Minced chili flakes
- flaxseed
- Paprika
- Celery salt
- onion powder
- oregano

Bake biscuits at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes. Cooking time depends on thickness of biscuits and your oven.
Cool biscuits on a wire rack.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... kjeks.html

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Just a comment from someone who isn't a commited low carber but is open to new tastes and ideas..

I love celeriac. :D I didn't before because I did something horrible to it last time but this time I tried it mashed with a teensy bit of cream (ok, hubby made it for me), plenty of black pepper with garlic and a touch of salt. Had it with a small thin steak and some mushrooms..drool.

Today I decided that as the poor celeriac was still lurking at the back of the fridge looking sorry for itself (it's been in there for ages!) I was going to use it to make WhitbyJets' celeriac rosti, I added a small fresh chili to mine.

Judith, you're a star..they were gorgeous. Many thanks for the time you spend adding recipes here that are so damned tasty, they can be enjoyed by us non-low carbers as well.

A very Happy New Year to all x

Helenababe

Hi 'Whitbyjet',

Just to tell you that with my son just been diagnosed T2 I made the 'Stracciatella' cake so he would have something special to eat and he really enjoyed it. :)
I heated it up and gave it to him as his Christmas pudding with a little whipped cream. He had some as cake the next day. I enjoyed it too.

Thanks
Helena

WhitbyJet

Helenababe and ladybird64 - thats so good to hear, thank you for the feedback.

I still have some family staying, but will be back soon with more interesting recipes.

All the best x x

Fallenstar

Low Carb KFC :D

I winged this tonight and it turned out nice....

This coating did 14 chicken thighs and drumsticks...and we ate em all!

14 chicken drum sticks or thighs
150 grams of Ground Almonds
1 tbl sp Garlic powder...or to taste
1/2 table spoon mixed herbs
1 tbl sp Paprika
T spoon salt
T spoon pepper
2 eggs

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk eggs.
Take the skin off the chicken portions, dip into egg, roll in dry mix...I rolled twice for thick coating.
Place on oiled baking tray.
Cook in fan oven at 190 degrees for 25/30 mins till cooked.
Cooking times will vary depending on size of portions.

Well crispy and tasty.
I had mine with big mixed salad , rest had theirs with jkt potatoes and a salad.
I also added a slice of Gluten free bread ,breadcrumbed to the dry mix...but could use a slice of normal...or it would be just as nice without!

AnjaH

thanks for the nice chicken recipe :) Hm i just wonder myself, if the food in the uks supermarket is more expansive than in german. really dont know :(

Fallenstar

I did this to go as a side dish last night, to go with a chicken breast LC KFC :D

If you like them Sprouts it's a winner..if not, look away now.

1 red onion
1 pkt sprouts..I buy ready prepared ones, lazy!
6 rashes streaky bacon, unsmoked.
dollop of English mustard
good glugged of maple syrup
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Worcester sauce Tbl spn
Soy sauce Tbl spn

Dice red onion, slice/ shred the spouts ,fry in olive oil in a wok. Add Worcester sauce/ soy sauce,salt and pepper .
In a griddle pan dry fry the bacon until the rashers are almost cooked and crisp. Mix the mustard and maple syrup in a bowl . Using a brush ,brush the mustard mixture over one side of the bacon, then flip the bacon over so the mustard side is facing down and pop it back onto the heat and cook for a minute or so until it is nice and crisp. Repeat with other side.

snip the bacon up into small pieces and when the stir fryed sprouts are just soft toss in the bacon bits and stir fry for a minute.Until some on the mustard mix has also coated the sprouts...you could also mix a bit in with it all if you like it a bit sweeter.

Tasty :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My recipe for ratatouille: (recipe is a bit of a formal word for this)

Heat a good glug of olive oil in a large casserole. Add the following, chopped as necessary:

an onion, about 4 cloves garlic (I like garlic!), one or two leeks, one or two courgettes, an aubergine, a packet of frozen mixed peppers or a couple of large fresh ones, 2 tins plum tomatoes chopped as they go in (or you can buy ready chopped), a good squeeze of tomato paste, mixed herbs, basil, oregano and a bay leaf, a glug of mushroom ketchup and as many mushrooms as I can fit in to the pan. Green beans when in season.

I start it on top of the stove but always do the main cooking in a slow-ish oven because I prefer the outcome. Gas Mark 3 for me - don't know the equivalents, sorry. I can just leave it to get on with it - a couple of hours at least. It gets better if reheated. Cook it long enough and it might turn into soup :lol:

When I have it as an Atkins meal I put cheese on top, or have sausages with it, or put a serving in a small casserole and cook pork or salmon in it. It's very versatile, though it can be a bit acid-y.

All the right veg and very low-carb!

Viv 8)

PS If I'm cooking a chicken I peel about 6 cloves of garlic and shove them inside it. They cook nicely and can be eaten whole with any other veg. No stuffing - too carby!

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Brilliant thread. Im a type 1 diabetic and im looking at a low carb diet for better control / weight loss

libbyM

I found this recipe this morning for a pizza and cooked it for my lunch. Really nice.

Makes One 10-Inch Crust

Ingredients
1 1/2 c. Almond Flour
1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder (it's gluten free)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Large Pastured Egg
Cooking Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Set aside large baking sheet.
2. Cut 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of baking sheet.
3. Combine dry ingredients first then add egg and olive oil. Mix with a fork until it comes together into a ball.
4. Place dough between parchment paper and with a rolling pin, roll to about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Remove top piece of parchment and set crust along with the bottom piece of parchment onto baking sheet.
6. Bake 15 minutes.
7. Crust should be lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven, add toppings and return to oven to warm

I topped it with sliced tomatoes, quarter of avocado (as it was leftover) and crumbled feta cheese on top with a slug of oliver oil.
Very tasty.
Apologies if it's been posted before :roll:

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High to WhitbyJet- just found your Bacon Gratin recipe. Please could you tell me what your 2dl of cream is in ml or g measurements. I've decided it's 200ml but I may be disastrously wrong.....

Thanks Chris