Worrying all the time

Elaine karen

I've put a couple of posts up recently .
I'm on novarapid and tresiba. My hbc1 was 104 to 106 last October. Was treated since March last year to the October for type 2 which clearly was not rightly diagnosed. I was so ill the Dr at hosp put me on novamix. Was on that until January this year, but when I ate meals was taking a long time to come back down. So in January my hbc1 was 65. Since being on novamix and tresiba I've got it down to 60. Only been on tresiba and novamix 2 months. Is this OK as someone said to me I hav to try and get it in the 40 range, but DN said they be happy if I get it to 58. I'm so anxious all the time with it all I jus sit and get upset. My Dr says I've dun well considering what I went through last year, but I'm an anxious person and just feel I'm never gona get to grips with this. I've even got myself worrying about even drinking a cup of coffee it's getting ridiculous how I'm.thinking with it. My nurse said she refer me to a education course for carbs. Jus seems never ending, try to get my head round one thing then someone says oh you can't eat this and then another person will say yes you can in moderation. Feels like you don't know right from wrong. Sorry for long post but my head spinning. Any advice be great...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I've been T1 since 1970 and my consultant complains if my hba1c goes below 50, because they worry that I'm having too many hypos.:) I've always been very happy when my hba1c has been in the 50s, and so has my team. Now that I've been lucky enough to be able to afford a cgm I sometimes go lower, but honestly that's a work in progress and something for me to aim for rather than necessarily achieve.

The NHS ideal for T1s is an hba1c of 48, but not many T1s get there, and I'd be very surprised/impressed/envious if you got there so soon after diagnosis. T1 is something that you spend a lifetime learning, because everyone's body reacts a bit differently to carbs, exercise, illness, the weather.... I still learn new things about it after 50 years, and that's OK, because you don't have to get it right all the time and you learn from your mistakes. I personally have found these forums enormously helpful, for moral support as well as information.

So my advice would be: try to be a bit kinder to yourself. You don't have to get on top of it all at once.

Lots of virtual hugs.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on novarapid and tresiba. My hbc1 was 104 to 106 last October. Was treated since March last year to the October for type 2 which clearly was not rightly diagnosed. I was so ill the Dr at hosp put me on novamix. Was on that until January this year, but when I ate meals was taking a long time to come back down. So in January my hbc1 was 65. Since being on novamix and tresiba I've got it down to 60. Only been on tresiba and novamix 2 months. Is this OK as someone said to me I hav to try and get it in the 40 range, but DN said they be happy if I get it to 58. I'm so anxious all the time with it all I jus sit and get upset. My Dr says I've dun well considering what I went through last year, but I'm an anxious person and just feel I'm never gona get to grips with this. I've even got myself worrying about even drinking a cup of coffee it's getting ridiculous how I'm.thinking with it. My nurse said she refer me to a education course for carbs. Jus seems never ending, try to get my head round one thing then someone says oh you can't eat this and then another person will say yes you can in moderation. Feels like you don't know right from wrong. Sorry for long post but my head spinning. Any advice be great...

Hi,

The long & short of it is. Everybody has an idea on how it should work. There is a "text book" way.
There is "I'm not going to let this stop me doing what ever way."
Then there is, "my way." (That's litterally my own exprerience over the last 45 years.)

... You need to do what works for you. :)

Yep, you will read tips & tricks from others. Don't ever feel dissaponted in yourself if "my way" or the text book advice from the clinic just don't seem to stack up or correlate.
You are not a fail. It's just what you read don't always walk the "mile" in your shoes..

Reactions: Elaine karen

Elaine karen

Well, I've been T1 since 1970 and my consultant complains if my hba1c goes below 50, because they worry that I'm having too many hypos.:) I've always been very happy when my hba1c has been in the 50s, and so has my team. Now that I've been lucky enough to be able to afford a cgm I sometimes go lower, but honestly that's a work in progress and something for me to aim for rather than necessarily achieve.

The NHS ideal for T1s is an hba1c of 48, but not many T1s get there, and I'd be very surprised/impressed/envious if you got there so soon after diagnosis. T1 is something that you spend a lifetime learning, because everyone's body reacts a bit differently to carbs, exercise, illness, the weather.... I still learn new things about it after 50 years, and that's OK, because you don't have to get it right all the time and you learn from your mistakes. I personally have found these forums enormously helpful, for moral support as well as information.

So my advice would be: try to be a bit kinder to yourself. You don't have to get on top of it all at once.

Lots of virtual hugs.
Thank you it's terrible the anxiety and the depression at the moment. Had messy divorce 4 years ago, and I'm not allowed to see my grandchildren and it's heartbreaking. So dr said that's probably not helping my diabetes. It's so hard Thank you again..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi

the first thing to remember is you have done very well in a short period of time.. so be happy about that.. work at making sure you don't revert to higher numbers

whilst 40 might be a good hba1c my care to would go crazy if i had that level.. the lower it is the more risk there is of hypo's and in fact they will assume if that low you are probably having hypo's

my care team are happy for a hba1c between 50 and 60 so your target of 58 is quite reasonable.. so as your doctor says you've done well.. so don't stress about it too much, try and think of what you have done as positive.. to much else in life to worry about

take care

Reactions: Struma

Elaine karen

Hi

the first thing to remember is you have done very well in a short period of time.. so be happy about that.. work at making sure you don't revert to higher numbers

whilst 40 might be a good hba1c my care to would go crazy if i had that level.. the lower it is the more risk there is of hypo's and in fact they will assume if that low you are probably having hypo's

my care team are happy for a hba1c between 50 and 60 so your target of 58 is quite reasonable.. so as your doctor says you've done well.. so don't stress about it too much, try and think of what you have done as positive.. to much else in life to worry about

take care
Thank you very much. It's very tough. I will ask more on this forum jus don't like bothering people.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much. It's very tough. I will ask more on this forum jus don't like bothering people.
What you do when you “bother” people here is be brave enough to ask for help and advice, as well as getting some support for yourself, you help unknown amounts of people that don’t have the confidence to ask the question, I guarantee there are people going through the exact same as you that will firstly read your post and feel better just because they know they are not alone and secondly benefit from the great advice.

just saying

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any sort of stress can increase your glucose levels. For different people it may be exams, a driving test, an appointment with a consultant, going to the dentist, going to see the bank manager etc. It's not your fault, it happens to all of us. Stress can increase your blood pressure as well. You've faced a lot of change over a short time and are doing pretty well. You deserve contratulating.

username3

It's a work in progress and means that you have to think a lot more about what you're doing and the effects of what your eating than most people. There's inevitably a lot on your mind and it's clear why that could create a lot of worries. You'll eventually work out naturally with time what's right and wrong for you. If you can, try to think positively and productively about what you're doing and note the little improvements along the way. Your hba1c isn't the be all and end all. Any progress is good.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Oh my dear Elaine. I see myself so much in what you write, and until a week ago I was as confused, scared and stressed as you are now. It is SO difficult for some of us, whilst others seem to understand the road forward as if second nature. I cannot help you regarding your meds as I'm only on Metformin, but I hopefully can assure you that everything will fall into place but little by little as it has for myself. Try to 'learn' one thing at a time rather than look too far ahead and be put off. It's very scary looking into the unknown and I couldn't even understand the carbs, let alone anything else! I was afraid to ask questions as I felt silly for not knowing things that everyone else appeared to know. I think if I were you I'd begin with the foodstuffs and drinks first, so that you feel safer in what you are consuming. I know there are many many folk on here who will listen, who will guide you onwards. I wish you well

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's slightly unusual to be on both a mixed insulin and a Basal (or Bolus). I would ask the GP/Consultant why you aren't on the normal Basal/Bolus regime? Having Basal/Bolus would give you the most flexibility and could include Tresiba with NovoRapid or whatever.

Elaine karen

Hi and welcome. It's slightly unusual to be on both a mixed insulin and a Basal (or Bolus). I would ask the GP/Consultant why you aren't on the normal Basal/Bolus regime? Having Basal/Bolus would give you the most flexibility and could include Tresiba with NovoRapid or whatever.
I am on novarapid and tresiba. Sorry probably didn't explain it very well

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, that is exactly why there is a forum such as this, otherwise what would be the point of it? If none of us 'bothered' each other there would be no forum. So glad you found us! Bother away! x