Fordy13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been told over the phone I'm diabetic
Told not to eat potatoes / pasta / rice or any type of bread
I'm a big eater and this has totally gazumpped me to what I can eat. Started eating wholemeal pasta and tortilla wraps and not sure if this is ok
Never been told what my blood sugar levels are and what they should be or how to check. Basically doctor said to eat broccoli / seeds / oats which does not appeal to me
I have been eating more fruit and no bread or rice
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Fordy13 and welcome to the forums.

Firstly, can I check what kind of diabetes you have? Your profile says T1 but your post sounds as though you have been diagnosed T2?

There is a big difference between the two. T1s don't produce enough insulin (eventually stop producing it all together) and need insulin to survive. T2s have almost the opposite problem. Their bodies are insulin resistant, which means they need more and more insulin to process the carbs in their diet, and eventually their blood sugars go high because of that high resistance. Typically, at least at the start of the disease, they overproduce insulin.

Many of the T2s on these forums control their sugar levels by reducing the carbs in their diets to a level which their body can cope with. So they swap out many of the carbs in their diet with protein and fats eg cheese, eggs, meat....

There's a lot more I can say about that but I'll wait till you've confirmed your diabetes type, as T1s are less limited in food choices than T2s but have to inject for their food. (If you are T2, I suggest you go into your profile and change the label).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fordy13

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Been told over the phone I'm diabetic
Told not to eat potatoes / pasta / rice or any type of bread
I'm a big eater and this has totally gazumpped me to what I can eat. Started eating wholemeal pasta and tortilla wraps and not sure if this is ok
Never been told what my blood sugar levels are and what they should be or how to check. Basically doctor said to eat broccoli / seeds / oats which does not appeal to me
I have been eating more fruit and no bread or rice
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi
as @EllieM says type of diabetes is important to know.. the cause is different.. you've not mentioned insulin and only mentioned diet so going to assume T2.. but this is something for you to clarify with you GP

if they have said avoid food types its because of the CARBS in the food.. high carbs increases blood glucose... so there is no point removing a food type full of carbs with another as this will have no effect.

you don't need to remove carbs totally but you need to start looking at food labels and making sensible food choices..

fruit and fruit juices can contain high level s of carbs, not as bad as bread or pasta but it will all have an effect..

read the diet forums and ask questions there for suggestions of good v bad.

keeping a food diary and tracking carbs may help you understand better

ask you gp for your levels.. so that when yo get retested you know if you've made improvements or not

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @Fordy13 and welcome to the forums. I'm from the US, so I can't really help you with medicines and such. But, what I can do is listen to you if you need to vent and/or celebrate with you when you have achieved something you have tried hard to do. Hope you read up in the different forums here - you'll learn a lot and it will help you so much in the long run.