starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi bluehills i concur with your comments
I just did a 14 day average on my bg meter and it reads at 5.5 which is encouraging to say the least.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
bluehils said:
Good luck with the diet it gets easier as you progress but can be a little boring so be inventive with the veg!!

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Fortunately for me, my wife is on a zero fat diet regime as she awaits gall bladder surgery; so she has been making soups, salads and stir fry for us both. :D

Not found the diet boring as yet, but is is still only week one for me. I guess the biggest challenge will be social occasions, weekends away and meals out. We have a few planned over the next 2 months so I will need to be a good boy. 8)

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
aye but you cant live like a monk lol
a blowout occasionally does no hrm its when its all the time is the problem

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
geordie90 said:
aye but you cant live like a monk lol
a blowout occasionally does no hrm its when its all the time is the problem

I hear you.

In my case however, I started drinking red wine every night because I read it was good for the BG. Trouble was, I found it difficult to open a bottle of red and only drink one glass; so most nights I drank the full bottle myself. :oops:

So, apart from all the other benefits of the Newcastle Diet I'm sure my liver will be glad of the rest too. :wink:

Thinking about it, I drink more wine than whisky now, so I should really change my forum name from Ardbeg to Rioja. :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ardbeg said:
I only take two 500mg Metformin per day; one in the morning and another at bedtime.

Thanks, but I'm sure I'll be okay. If my BG shoots up and stays up I'll go back on Metformin.

Ardbeg, as the max dose of Metformin (4 X 500mg) will only reduce bg levels by around 2 mmol/L your 2 X 500mg will only be helping by around 1 mmol/L so you shouldnt need to worry over much when you stop, you know which way your levels will be going :thumbup:

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheers, Sid - i didn't know that about metformin. Feel much better about reducing my meds now -i was going to stop altogether, but chickened out lol :) I have just decided to half them as my BG has dropped to around 4.5 - 5.2.

blacksmarty1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI All
everyone seems to well motivated and upbeat at the moment so that's a good sign. I have done a day monitoring the bg to day and here is the results. I have not done one after breakfast but others before and after meals.
11.15am 4.5 1st reading today ( had a lay in)
2.10pm 5.0 before lunch
4.30pm 5.0 2hours after lunch
6.00pm 5.4 before dinner
8.30pm 5.4 2hours after dinner
Just for Sid really these figures are quite good after the Newcastle diet and i have had a glass of wine at dinner.
At what point would you think it works Sid I would be interested in your thoughts on this. Do you think it needs a lot longer monitoring than a few months/weeks.
regards Diane

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all
Blacksmarty excellent bg's
Third week weigh day today, another two pounds off, so weight down to 15st12lbs, bit dissappointed with that but havent been as strict as i should have been, this week that will change
My FBG was 5.7 this morning again prob due to lack of willpower again that will change.
Mind my average for previous two weeks is 5.5. so not too bad.

bluehils

Hi. Geordie. Looks like everything is going in the right direction for you.
My weigh in this morning showed I lost 4.5lbs last week (14lbs total) which I am very pleased with but I have been very vertuous and havnt had any lapses so far!! This is probably due to avoiding any situations where I might be tempted and there is only me and my wife in the house so no tempting foods readily to hand.
FBG 5.6 - this has been fairly steady all week -occasionally lower - but this is exactly what the study results produced.
A little disapointed with the visceral fat which is still at 15% according to my analyser scales - still im not sure how accurate they can be and expect them to show an improvement soon.

daintytweety

I have been reading the posts of this thread very carefully.
I have 2 questions to ask :1)does it cause to have bad breath?
2)how is the sleep pattern?
Those 2 issues are important to me,as I have done a shake diet in the past and lost first week 11lb and the week after 9 lb,and I continued loosing beautifully.
But it was causing me such bad breath,that i couldnt take away with no teeth brushing or any chewing gum.However the diet was just shakes and not like you vegetables in the evening am I right?
tomorrow they starting me on Viktoza,and i thought maybe i do the slimfast shake as well.This morning my sugar was 7.4 fasting.
Thanks Geordie and everyone else this thread is brilliant

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Dainty strangely my wife bought me some mouthwash last week cos she said my breath stank lol
Also sleeping well tbh, although waking early for some reason.
Try it itdef works

daintytweety

I have boiled leek with water ,i wonder whether the drinking that water ,can take away the mettalic taste.I did the shake diet in the past.But i am reconsidering now,as you get the diabetes.uk support which is amazing :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
blacksmarty1 said:
Just for Sid really these figures are quite good after the Newcastle diet and i have had a glass of wine at dinner.

Sorry, only just seen your question. No need to do anything 'just' for me Diane, do it for yourself :thumbup:
blacksmarty1 said:
At what point would you think it works Sid I would be interested in your thoughts on this. Do you think it needs a lot longer monitoring than a few months/weeks.

I would consider that it has worked for someone if they can keep the weight off for more than a year, I lost 4 stones just by eating less and cutting back on the carbs and have kept it off for 3 years by changing my eating habits and all that despite not being able to exercise due to arthritis, so I can confidently say it works - for me - and probably would for others if they cared to try, no need for extreme dieting whatsoever IMHO, if you can stick to a restrictive diet for 8 weeks why cant you stick to eating a normal diet with a smaller plate?

If you have read my other comments on the Slimfast/Optifast/Whatnotfast diets you will know that I tried one in the 1980's and lost over a stone in a couple of weeks, unfortunately as soon as I started eating normally gain I just put the weight back on plus a few lb's, as do most people, the Newcastle Study has had no long term follow up as far as I am aware, but please correct me if I am wrong. Three times now I have asked those who started this diet 7 months ago to tell us how they have fared and so far - no takers - from which I can only assume it has not worked long term for any of them, otherwise I'm pretty sure they would be singing its praises.

And as I have said many times diabetes is for life, diets are for weeks or months but none of them work for life, one needs to change ones eating habits and a quick fix diet does not address this.

Hope this answers your questions, I am not just being negative I have tried this diet and found that it does not work, or rather it did not work for me and I dont know of anyone who it has worked for long term :D

blacksmarty1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sid
thanks for the reply I do not think you are 'just being negative' I am truly interested as to what your thoughts are. I have read your other posts on quite a few subjects and find a lot of what you say make a lot of sense.
I think it is inevitable that anyone who wants to take care of themselves will change their eating habits even people with out diabetes, as information comes out from the 'experts'.
I did lose weight and kept it off and that did not stop me getting T2, for the last 7 years I have had the smaller plate (had the gastric band fitted).
But having done this program rather strictly it does seem to have sorted me out.
I will still keep an eye on everything and come back and keep everyone posted, even if it is good or bad.
We benefit so much from sharing information on here, I have learnt a lot since August when I joined, I think we all must continue to share.
Bye for now Diane
Blacksmarty1

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Three weeks down, five weeks to go!!

Still on have my usual meds, still around 5 or 6 :)

I have lost 12 pounds in all, and have lost three inches from my waist!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
well done beancounter excellent figures there, yup i have 5 weeks five days left not that im counting, whats awkward is clothes are starting to look too big for me, lost under a stone but changed shape a lot which is good still a ways to go yet though want to lose another two stone.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
had a craving day today, just needed something, had two biscuits!!!!!!!!!
Checked bloods at 4pm 4.4 so no harm there but im going to beast myself at gym tonight then a strict day tomorrow at work.
Out of my system hopefully, noone said it would be easy