Need help managing blood sugar

LoriF

Hi Folks I am new here looking for help as I am struggling managing my blood sugar. I was diagnosed in 2017-2018 and told to lose weight with no medication for at least a year....given Metformin in 2019 and am on 2 a day bit still cannot get on top of massive high blood sugar. Have had several high ACR readings but advice from doc is the same....you mustn't be managing your diet lose weight. I have only lost a stone and a half so far and am no longer monitored by doc until I lose more weight. Each morning my BS is between 11and 15 and doesnt cone down to below 10 until lunchtime. Even with no food by 6.00 pm its still 8-9.....what should I be eating? What do I need to cut out? I no longer have wine, bread, pasta or anything with sugar....I will occasionally have a drink with friends and have a couple of vodka and diet cokes but I honestly am feeling so frustrated that I can't get this under control. This morning was 11.3 because I had a few chips off my partners dinner....can it really be so sensitive and any carbs are going to cause this? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks I am new here looking for help as I am struggling managing my blood sugar. I was diagnosed in 2017-2018 and told to lose weight with no medication for at least a year....given Metformin in 2019 and am on 2 a day bit still cannot get on top of massive high blood sugar. Have had several high ACR readings but advice from doc is the same....you mustn't be managing your diet lose weight. I have only lost a stone and a half so far and am no longer monitored by doc until I lose more weight. Each morning my BS is between 11and 15 and doesnt cone down to below 10 until lunchtime. Even with no food by 6.00 pm its still 8-9.....what should I be eating? What do I need to cut out? I no longer have wine, bread, pasta or anything with sugar....I will occasionally have a drink with friends and have a couple of vodka and diet cokes but I honestly am feeling so frustrated that I can't get this under control. This morning was 11.3 because I had a few chips off my partners dinner....can it really be so sensitive and any carbs are going to cause this? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance
Sorry to hear you aren’t getting a lot of support it sounds like
Carbs can be a major issue for T2s with sone being a lot more intolerant than others. Can you talk about your usual diet and maybe we can advise on that and see if there are hidden carbs or not so hidden

Also, depending how few a few is, potatoes and especially chips can have significant impact on bloods. The fried, so fatty and carbs nature can make the levels rise and stay high much longer than the usual spike I find

LoriF

Yes of course......yesterday was a typical day. I dont eat breakfast as sugar always too high to risk it. Usually have coffee with s skimmed milk x2 and take tablets. Lunch yesterday was mushroom omelette and sugar free Vimto (made weak because of fruit issues) had a few lentil bites around 4.30 and then sausages and peas for dinner (plus handful of chips from OH) coffees and teas throughout day and diet cokes take second dose of Metformin with dinner.

Thursday no breakfast as normal (sugar was 15.1 in morning) lunch was tuna salad with peppers and sweetcorn, tomatoes, leaves and eggs. Served with small wholemeal pitta as really hungry. Dinner went out so seafood starter (calamari mussels and prawns) main was sea bass fillets in Burre blanc sauce and vegetables (left the chips alone and gave to OH) diet cokes, coffees and dilute sugar free Vimto through day.

Day before no breakfast 2x coffee and a diet coke, lunch was crab salad shop bought which had a little pasta in it .....dinner was grilled prawns followed by Steak and veg (no sauces) as was travelling for work. It doesn't look that bad to me but perhaps I need to have fewer veg?

I am at a loss with this to be honest and doc just says its not the medication that's the problem it has to be my diet otherwise I wouldnt still be overweight

These are typical days really when I am working ...I am staying away from fruit as it spikes sugar.

Reactions: Duncan Lord

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes of course......yesterday was a typical day. I dont eat breakfast as sugar always too high to risk it. Usually have coffee with s skimmed milk x2 and take tablets. Lunch yesterday was mushroom omelette and sugar free Vimto (made weak because of fruit issues) had a few lentil bites around 4.30 and then sausages and peas for dinner (plus handful of chips from OH) coffees and teas throughout day and diet cokes take second dose of Metformin with dinner.

Thursday no breakfast as normal (sugar was 15.1 in morning) lunch was tuna salad with peppers and sweetcorn, tomatoes, leaves and eggs. Served with small wholemeal pitta as really hungry. Dinner went out so seafood starter (calamari mussels and prawns) main was sea bass fillets in Burre blanc sauce and vegetables (left the chips alone and gave to OH) diet cokes, coffees and dilute sugar free Vimto through day.

Day before no breakfast 2x coffee and a diet coke, lunch was crab salad shop bought which had a little pasta in it .....dinner was grilled prawns followed by Steak and veg (no sauces) as was travelling for work. It doesn't look that bad to me but perhaps I need to have fewer veg?

I am at a loss with this to be honest and doc just says its not the medication that's the problem it has to be my diet otherwise I wouldnt still be overweight

These are typical days really when I am working ...I am staying away from fruit as it spikes sugar.
That doesn’t sound significantly bad, would be good to get an idea of carbs as you mention bought in and they may have snuck carbs in there
Pitta, pasta and chips are carb heavy but not sounding like a huge amount generally speaking

Peas can be a bit higher carb, as can some veg but again, not like you are eating potatoes and starchy veg so seems a bit high

have you shared a food diary with your doctor? They don’t sound exactly supportive though but those meals shouldn’t be something g the doctor would say is a problem

Any idea roughly calorie intake? Or carbs/other macros

I know for carb counting many don’t count calories but for doctor discussion, may help

In my experience, blood levels that high the doctor would be prescribing more to get them down. The fact he isn’t monitoring until you lose weight would be a concern to me, can you see another doctor as maintaining high levels whilst your food looks like it does is not good

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Double cream in your coffee. Chips, peas, sweetcorn, pitta bad.

Keep a food diary, record your numbers before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. You should pick up on the foods you can't tolerate.

Reactions: LoriF

LoriF

Definitely not double cream in my coffee lol. Just semi skimmed milk. So sweetcorn,peas and any carbs really are completely out of the question for me I think. Maybe switch to black coffee. I have shared typical food day with doctor on a day when I had grilled fish two boiled potatoes and salad and he scoffed at me and said I must have eaten a lot more than two to have blood sugar that high. Suggested I go on Cambridge diet and lose weight quick as they can't help me at 12.5 stone when I should be no more than 9 ‍♀️

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The skinnier the milk the higher the carbs. I think you need another gp.

AlexD14

Definitely not double cream in my coffee lol. Just semi skimmed milk. So sweetcorn,peas and any carbs really are completely out of the question for me I think. Maybe switch to black coffee. I have shared typical food day with doctor on a day when I had grilled fish two boiled potatoes and salad and he scoffed at me and said I must have eaten a lot more than two to have blood sugar that high. Suggested I go on Cambridge diet and lose weight quick as they can't help me at 12.5 stone when I should be no more than 9 ‍♀️

I think he's recommending you take double cream in your coffee. Far less carbs than regular milk.

How are you when it comes to physical activity? I find I'm less insulin resistant when I've done some exercise during the day - doesn't have to be any too strenuous but a good walk can help regulate BGL.

Have you thought about intermittent fasting? That might be a way to help bring down your base level.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating out can be a minefield. If you are having a sauce it can contain sugar, flour or cornflour for example. If you buy packet food, you need to know how to read the labels and ingredients.

Have a look at dietdoctor.com. ask lots of questions.

Download the mysugr app. Record your numbers and food in that and it will help you keep track. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c.

Are you on any other medication?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I’d be looking for a new doctor

I was 110kg when I should, according to BMI have been under, I think, 81kg. The doctors and nurses may have, for good reason, put me on the naughty step for what I ate, but they did prescribe and did support regardless

The doctor is leading you to a path of too high sugars and all that that leads to. Your bloods don’t seem to be reducing, your food could be slightly refined it seems but even if that is the case there are other options and your dr should be engaging

has your dr ran various other tests do you know that might be resulting in your challenge to lose weight? I’m far from an expert but thinking Thyroid is one

Last edited:

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Your doctor has a duty of care toward you as his patient, and seems not to care?
Does your surgery have a diabetic nurse/team, that you can ask to be referred to?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Personally, I’d be looking for a new doctor

I was 110kg when I should, according to BMI have been under, I think, 81kg. The doctors and nurses may have, for good reason, put me on the naughty step for what I ate, but they did prescribe and did support regardless

The doctor is leading you to a path of too high sugars and all that that leads to. Your bloods don’t seem to be reducing, your food could be slightly refined it seems but even if that is the case there are other options and your dr should be engaging
I agree.. to not support you because they *think* you are not doing your best is in my opinion out of order.

I would keep a food diary keeping track or carbs... many mention sugar and avoiding it.. its not really the sugar that's the issue. Sugar is 100% carb and carbs are the issue..

When you have a diary and you keep track or everything counting the carbs by how many grams in each meal you can get your daily average... the worst that will happen is that you have a good record for your gp. But you may surprise yourself and find somethings have more carbs than you think like cheap sausage can often be packed with breadcrumb some sausages I was looking at were 20g carbs per sausage

Once you know exactly what's sneaking in.. you can start looking at sensible alternatives .. somethings like the sausage for example you may find a different brand is more meat so less carbs..

Good luck and hope you get the help you need... take a look in the diet forums and ask for suggestions and ideas for foods that may help you

Reactions: LoriF and EllieM

LoriF

I saw a gynaecologist who said I likely had mild PCOS which is contributing (saw gynae for another reason) again GP did not agree with her findings as "you would be anaemic if it were that bad" I wasn't because I take supplements every day so stopped and became anaemic....which again was blamed on my diet and prescribed iron tablets....which I stopped taking. I was given coil which by body rejected and it got stuck and had to be removed. Only advice was change your diet. I walked my 10000 steps yesterday and this morning was 10.3 had almond milk in coffees to cut carbs but did treat myself to a gin and slimline tonic (not flavoured) whilst on our day trip. Maybe three day fast to use up glycogen in liver to get this down? Hba1c has not been measured for almost two years.....I did speak to diabetes nurse and asked for change of medication as this isn't working and she called me back blethering on about diet again and losing weight. I didnt answer her next call and when did speak to her told her I was sick of getting told to lose weight as the only answer when things aren't working. She has never been in touch again.....I think this is viewed as "refusal of treatment" I am not refusing treatment but telling them it isn't working. I refuse to go on Cambridge diet as I think its a very unhealthy way to lose weight bit I seem at stalemate with doctors as its very much viewed as me making no effort to lose weight which isn't the case. I tried keto for a couple months but this left me constipated and dizzy, I am trying tobget this under control but its just not coming down enough. This is so frustrating!!

LoriF

Eating out can be a minefield. If you are having a sauce it can contain sugar, flour or cornflour for example. If you buy packet food, you need to know how to read the labels and ingredients.

Have a look at dietdoctor.com. ask lots of questions.

Download the mysugr app. Record your numbers and food in that and it will help you keep track. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c.

Are you on any other medication?
Thank you will try this...am also on ramipril for high BP and take daily supplements for nutrients and iron. (Abc plus from H and B)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check your med leaflets for raising bg. I am on ramipril, also high dosage of steroids which sends my levels sky high.

Have a look at the keto diet. Once you get over carb addiction it's a breeze, no hunger. I have read that it also improves PCOS.

Reactions: DJC3 and LoriF

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Is changing your surgery an option? It is one thing to be told lose weight; it is another thing to be given appropriate support and encouragement. Metformin can help with appetite control and may also be prescribed to help with PCOS symptoms.

Reactions: DJC3 and LoriF

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor sounds awful — I don’t know why they’re not supporting you, but the good news is there are things you can do to help yourself.

I’d really recommend getting a meter and testing before eating and two hours after so you can see what meals affect you and in what quantities.

Also, it might not necessarily be helping to not eat breakfast — we’re all different but my sugars often come down a little after eating protein in the morning.

When I lowered carbs my morning blood sugar went a LOT higher than I was happy with so now I find a small amount of cheese an hour or two before bed stops sugars shooting up on waking. (Your mileage may vary!)

Also for what it’s worth, I’m by no means thin but my HBA1C is in the non-diabetic range thanks mostly to ‘eating to my meter’. Your doctor is just plain wrong to suggest only weight loss will control sugars.

Reactions: LoriF and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LoriF lots of good advice above, I’d agree with @xfieldok to look at the diet doctor website.
When shopping read labels and look at ‘carbs per 100g’ not just the sugars. Personally I wouldn’t pick anything with more than 5g carbs per 100g (unless it’s a condiment where I’m only going to use a teaspoon ). Shopping takes for ever at the beginning as you are getting used to it but you’ll soon get the hang of it and realise there are whole sections ( like the bread and cereals aisle )you can just avoid.
Beware of sugar alternatives too. Honey, agarve syrup, ‘natural sugars’ etc - they are all simple sugars which will raise your BG

LoriF

My blood sugar last night 2 hours after eating was 8.8.....this morning 12.3 it really doesn't make any sense....its as if my body just goes "right you are awake now have a big pile of glucose you haul your butt out of bed" I exercised both Saturday and Sunday too. Dinner last night was beef curry (home made) with lots of peppers and onions served with half a portion of wg rice. Its the morning numbers that scare me most.it has come down to 9.5 now at 12.30 and I am about to have lunch (ham and mushroom omelette and salad) lets see what happens ....I expect it will come down more even though I have eaten ‍♀️ good advice on the less than 5g carbs....I went shopping yesterday and was choosing anything less than 3 to really try to get it within range......fasting may be the way forward though....just don't eat until its around 5 as my liver can't have any glycogen left at that point ...thanks for advice folks

Reactions: DJC3

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are exactly right, it's called the dawn phenomenon. It's the last number to come down and is not under your control.

Swap out your rice and try cauliflower rice instead.

It took me 4 weeks to get used to keto. So worth it.