Is 16:8 fasting safe (type2)?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I am a type 2 diabetic in US. My glucose is pretty well controlled with keto diet and metformin, but my weightloss has stalled. I am thinking of intermittent fasting. I already sometimes skip breakfast and feel fine. I don’t have hypoglycemic episodes.

Is this something I should ask my dr before I start?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Perfectly safe.

Although you might consider the PE diet.
I’m of the opinion that it’s better to have an even distribution of protein throughout the day to preserve or build muscle mass. but this normally not an issue if you’re starting from a high body fat percentage

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're not on insulin or sulfonylurea drugs, it's perfectly safe. I would go so far as to say that 16:8 is barely fasting. Not to knock the accomplishments of people who do it (inlcuding me much of the time), but realize that for most people the span from dinner to breakfast is likely around 10 or 11 hours. 16:8 is really just adding two or 3 hours of fasting to a standard 3-meal schedule.

Reactions: lorib64

Gosport_Nancy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lorib64 yes it’s perfectly safe to do, metformin should be taken with food though I believe so you might have to change the time you take it.
Have you looked at the diet doctor website? It’s a mine of information.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

I first came across intermittent fasting on the Diet Doctor site and I first saw Dr Jason Fung there too. I have several of his books on my Audible account and listen to them while having a lie down in the afternoon.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if 12 to 14 hrs everyday without food is classed as intermittent i just have 3 meals a day and seems to work ok for me, i am just slowly shrinking away with just walking the dogs now and again :). Last meal is 4-5 o clock and thats it till breakfast at 7-8 in the morning. I am losing 1-2 pounds a week and lost 2.5 stone so far

I dont think i could fast for a couple of days as i am a bit hungry when i get up but i do admire people on this forum that do it regular and have good results eith there bloods

aryavrielle

If you are diabetic and want to fast intermittently, then who has observed you? The fast that you cannot fast should be given to a poor Muslim who has no money for food and drink. Such people get a lot of reward by fasting.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use intermittent fasting.
And the best advice I can give you is that fasting is very good for you in my experience especially if you find the dietary balanice that suits you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are diabetic and want to fast intermittently, then who has observed you? The fast that you cannot fast should be given to a poor Muslim who has no money for food and drink. Such people get a lot of reward by fasting.

Religious fasting is a choice!
There are millions of children around the world, forced by political decisions to be condemned to go without.
and some of the richest countries governments use it intentionally. These children don't have a choice!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t be ok, I do it by accident often, leaving early for work then being too busy to stop, I often don’t eat until maybe 12-1pm then dinner around 6-7pm and I’m doing 16:8, not sure it does me any good either but don’t think it can hurt. I did Omad for a month to lose some flab, I added 4 pounds lol

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @aryavrielle
I am interested in what you are suggesting here. I do intermittent fasting for my diabetes. I also do other types of fasting for my faith (not muslim). These two have very different motives. For my diabetes the only person interested is me (and my meter lol). For my faith then I believe God is aware and yes in my faith we are encouraged to use any money saved from fasting to give to the poor (not just those of my faith).

So I don't think your post is relevant to fasting for diabetes as that is a completely different motive. I'm interested in why you posted here.