Type 1 Hypo

Nadia19

Strange question, hoping to get a answer. Does anyone else think food tastes better when your in a hypo?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Strange question, hoping to get a answer. Does anyone else think food tastes better when your in a hypo?

Not sure it actually tastes better, but when I'm hypo I'm just desperate to eat... so certainly the desire for food (any food, nom, nom, nom) is much greater.

Reactions: Nadia19

Nadia19

Not sure it actually tastes better, but when I'm hypo I'm just desperate to eat... so certainly the desire for food (any food, nom, nom, nom) is much greater.

I think that is the case, I’d actually eat any food when it’s low. Feels satisfying. Lol.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
When I have a hypo food taste like everything I want it too, I can eat the contents of a fridge during a really bad hypo and even stuff I don’t really like , I tend to pig out on. Chocolate which I’m not really fussed on , I suppose it’s a survival instinct kicking in

Reactions: Nadia19

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
If my sugar is low but not hypo then i treat myself and that can taste better because its a treat that i can appreciate.......
If i'm very low i just eat because i have to.

Tony

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To exemplify that we are all different, one of my hypo symptoms is a complete loss of appetite. I really don't want to eat anything so whatever I do eat is just fuel and I am not interested in the taste.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately when I go low the thought of having to eat makes me feel ill and I am not interested in taste in the slightest, our brains work in mysterious ways when deprived of glucose :confused:

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
To exemplify that we are all different, one of my hypo symptoms is a complete loss of appetite. I really don't want to eat anything so whatever I do eat is just fuel and I am not interested in the taste.
Unfortunately when I go low the thought of having to eat makes me feel ill and I am not interested in taste in the slightest,

That must make it really difficult for you both when treating hypos. My other problem when hypo is that it often makes me want to just lie down and do nothing (not great when you are already in bed) and I just can't be bothered to take out the glucose tablets that are right next to me. I avoid the eat the fridge issue by having glucotabs as my emergency tab, which I only want to eat when I'm hypo because (in my opinion) they taste pretty nasty.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am the same, I only use glucotabs so it limits the opportunity to over eat even if I ever did want to, tbh when hypo I struggle to even treat sometimes as i'd either carry on what I was doing which is cleaning the house or gardening and treat when getting the sweats, but I also prefer to lie down too, and have been known to sleep for a good hour after one.

Nadia19

Unfortunately when I go low the thought of having to eat makes me feel ill and I am not interested in taste in the slightest, our brains work in mysterious ways when deprived of glucose :confused:

That is true the brain works differently when low on glucose. That must be hard knowing you have to have a sugary snack or drink and your not feeling yp to it.