Birthday Foot Spa! Help

aprilsnail

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone is able to help…

it’s my lovely mums birthday on Friday and I have bought her a footspa, just a plug in thing from Argos… since reading up on how to use it etc, I’m seeing lots of searches saying for a diabetic NOT to use a footspa…

does anyone here have and use a footspa??
If so do you use any herbal things - I’ve seen also not to use Epson salt (I think that’s how it’s spelled.)

Any help is much appreciated

april xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I have read, it can be dangerous if you have no feeling in your feet, danger of scaulding. Ensure feet are dried thoroughly after.

aprilsnail

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
She’s still got all feeling, and I’ve read that as long as you check the temp with your hand or ask someone else, it shouldn’t be something to worry about x

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @aprilsnail, I have and use a foot spa but I have full feeling in my feet and avoid prolonged soaking (not because of my diabetes but because I have other stuff to do :D)
As @xfieldok says there is a risk of scalding and also a quick google suggests soaking may cause small cracks on the feet to open up, which doesn't sound ideal. But if your mum has full feeling etc I would think it would be ok, after all we aren't told not to have a bath or swim or anything like that.
I tend to use a bit of bubble bath or the emollient I get on prescription so can't offer any advice on using epsom salts.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She’s still got all feeling, and I’ve read that as long as you check the temp with your hand or ask someone else, it shouldn’t be something to worry about x
Sounds like a lovely idea and as long as she is being sensible with water temp it could be a good way for her to check her feet as she dries them thoroughly and applies some lotion. I am assuming she's able to reach them still or has a foot stool or a partner to assist?
Many of this precautionary advice is rather general as we know that many diabetics that are very foot aware and keep an eye on such problems.
I hope she has a great birthday.