Gallbladder removed Type 2 diabetic diet

mimimushroom

I have recently had my gallbladder removed and struggling with diet. I am following the Dr Micheal Mosley diet but that says full fat, then I read low fat for gallbladder? My head is confused. Any advice from anyone with the same

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently had my gallbladder removed and struggling with diet. I am following the Dr Micheal Mosley diet but that says full fat, then I read low fat for gallbladder? My head is confused. Any advice from anyone with the same
After gallbladder removal the advice is to go easy on the fats at first to see how you react to them. Some people find it takes some time getting used to eating higher fat after a gallbladder removal.
If nothing untowards happens you can eat as much fats as you like.
Mine was removed years ago and I have no issue with eating fats at all.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my gall bladder removed in 2000, following this I struggled with chronic diarrhoea, it was no better on reduced fat. I went on low carb, higher fat diet when diagnosed type 2 in 2017 and my chronic diarrhoea disappeared!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people don't have issues after a while.
The article you've linked is written by a company selling the product.
I have no idea if there are many people without a gallbladder needing those bile salts, but I tend to distrust any seller of a product when they try to convince me I absolutely need their product.

Quite a lot of my friends and family have had their gallbladder removed, and none of them have had problems with digestion after the first few weeks.

Without a gallbladder, you still produce bile, the only difference is that it gets released in a steady trickle instead of the bladder pushing out extra in reaction to a meal. So I'm rather puzzled as to how a gallbladder removal would lead to a deficiency. Mind, I'm not saying it's impossible, I don't know a lot about it, but I'd expect doctors would tell patients about needing to supplement if it happened often, especially because it's such a common procedure.