My current 3 meals a day

djsb

I'm visiting my doctors surgery on Wednesday for the results of a recent blood test. I asked for the blood test after my weight dropped from 15 stone in 2015 to 11 stone now. Most of the weight has been lost over the last couple of years. I have also been peeeing a lot at night. My GP has told me That I am diabetic and I should get more details at the appointment. I've been reading the forums here for the last few days and I want to start changing my diet straight away. As I am a keen cyclist (I enjoy cycling the 16.5 miles each way to work on my E-Bike once or twice a week) I like to eat a good breakfast every morning.
This is what I was eating (before the phone call from my GP last Friday) for breakfast
2 weetabix
1 chopped up banana
fruit and nut meusli (sultana, raisins, sweetened banana chips, dried apricot, coconut, oat ,weat and barley flakes, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds(not a complete list).
Semi skimmed milk.
1 cup of tea with 2 sugars and semi-skimmed milk.

Now I can't eat this as it feels TOO heavy on my stomach and from what I've been reading over the last 3 day this breakfast has been killing me very slowly (even though I believed all along that it was a healthy choice). I'm currently eating cornflakes with chopped banana and semi-skimmed milk. I'm going to try full fat Greek yoghurt mixed with berries and some nuts later this week. As I eat my breakfast between 5am and 5:30am, I don't really have time to test my glucose level EVERY morning. I will do a blood test this Friday morning however (or as soon as my meter arrives). Is the yoghurt and berries a good choice for a Newby like me?
Now onto my lunch. I normally have 2 slices of wholemeal bread with sunflower margarine, 2 slices of (processed) cheddar cheese 1 sliced up tomato a bit of pickle and a few leaves of iceberg lettuce. Is there an alternative to the 2 slices of bread that is lower carb? Would making my own low-carb bread be economical?
For my evening meal I usually just open a tin of vegetarian soup (green lentil and tomato, country garden, or Mediterranean tomato or a chicken and veg soup). I love my soups, but maybe I would be better making my own with a soup maker.
I'm going to be asking a lot of questions here. Just hoping I can make a start on changing my diet sustainably. Thanks.

Reactions: muzza3 and coby

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I'm guessing that you want something fast and filling for breakfast but don't want to cook. How about low carbohydrate toast (e.g.Hi-Lo bread from Sainsbury's, 5g carb per slice) with toppings e.g. cold boiled egg and butter, trout or mackerel pate, crunchy peanut butter, hard cheese, cream cheese and smoked salmon or any other high protein food that you like.
The same breads can be used for sandwiches at lunchtime. Nothing wrong with soup for supper but any choice should have a maximum of 10g carbohydrate per 100g soup. At the moment your diet is heavily dependent on carbohydrates. Swopping over to more fat and protein will help your blood glucose levels while still allowing you to eat food you like.
Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and nuts is a good option at anytime.
It is also possible that if your meals as described above might be energy deficient depending on portion size and this could also have contributed to your weight loss.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Try to get those carbs down. Bananas are a No-No for us. Read all of the packs you are using for hidden sugar e.g. the muesli. Try to avoid the sugar in the tea. Try sweeteners or at least only use 1 sugar. Basically rethink your approach to diet bearing in mind in the West we have been marketed to to have high carb and high sugar food; move towards fats and proteins.

AlexD14

Like you, I enjoy a substantial breakfast in the morning. My stomach is normally empty after 10-12 hours since I last ate anything so it's normally very ready to digest some food! Unfortunately if you're looking to better control your blood sugars cereals are something you'll want to cut entirely. I'm a Type 1 without any apparent issues with insulin resistance but still find it difficult to bolus for cereals; I've only found a controlled portion of porridge made using water is the only thing that doesn't wildly spike my BGL's.

I'd recommend either scrambled eggs or an omelette. Before whisking the eggs add some double cream or Greek yogurt, the additional fat will keep you statiated for longer. To bulk it out there are loads of options: I tend to add things like cheese, spinach, kale, mushrooms, bell peppers, ham and chorizo. If I want more I find that I can put some chipolata sausages in the oven and theyre ready at roughly the same time. Cooking some bacon in the pan before I cook the eggs and using the residual fat adds some nice flavour. For something more 'grab and go' try egg muffins - they can be made beforehand, put in a food container and eaten on the go.

You could also try some toast using Keto bread - a mugbread recipe that is ready in no time can be found here and find makes really nice grilled cheese sandwiches - to make with coconut flour you just need 1 tbsp. There are all different types of Keto bread and they have varying textures and tastes. SugarFree Londoner I've tried the Coconut bread and the Everyday Low Carb bread - both are nice - one is a little sweeter and another is more plain tasting.

What I've done is turn Sunday into a baking day where I'll normally make a loaf and a low-carb cake; that way I've got things lined up that I can just pick up and eat without the temptation to have a loaf made with glutenous flours or a cake full of sugars. I've found looking into low-carb baking really interesting and even if it's not the cheapest, I've found it highly satisfying and I've gained a far greater knowledge of various ingredients and their differing properties. To keep costs down I'd buy in bulk from an online shop, I've used Buy Wholefoods and found their prices aren't too dear and orders over £30 have free shipping. If you're looking to keep your carb count to a minimum than opt to Almond Flour, but if cost is an issue, Coconut flour is cheaper and is more absorbant so you use less.

In my experience tinned foods tend to contain plenty of added sugar. If you can make your own soups that will be better, then you can control what is going in there, omitting any added sugars or starchy vegetables. If making your own isn't an option than I'd opt for cream of chicken or cream of mushroom over Lentils, tomato and the other soups with veg as they tend to contain lots of starchy vegetables.

If you're looking for snacks: pork scratchings, babybel's and mozzarella balls are my good to. Various precooked meats are also an option: grilled chicken breasts, satay chicken, wafer ham, cocktail sausages (be careful as he's contain a surprising amount of carbs if you portion control issues!).

Your diet seems to contain lots of obvious carb sources so changing a few fundmanetals and you'll reduce your intake greatly, which should allow you to get control of your BGL's pretty quickly.

Reactions: liarsdance

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
That does sound like a lot of carbs you're having for breakfast , maybe just 1 weetabix and cut out the banana , theres also a lot of sugar in those berries and be a good idea to cut the sugar from the tea .

djsb

Just got a copy of my results from my GP today. My HbA1c level is (was on the 23rd July 2021) 17.2% (164.0 mmol/mol). My GP actually phoned me this morning and said I could come in early for the results.
I also took a urine sample in, and it tested at the top of the range (dark green). I mentioned that I'd prefer to manage this with my diet but he insisted that I go on medication immediately. So I pick up a prescription this afternoon.
My glucose meter is on the way and I will be using it as soon as I get it. Need your advice on how I can drop my levels ASAP. Would just eating the salad sandwiches be a good start. Or would gentle or moderate fasting help more? My doctor has told me to carry on with the cycling so that's good.
Glucose meter has just arrived in the post. Got to get used to using it.
About keeping a diary. What should I be recording apart from Date, time, food (what should I record about the food?) and glucose level? What is the essential information and what is nice to know? More later. Thanks.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Which medication has your doctor prescribed?

djsb

Hi,
I've just got back from the Chemist. I've been prescribed Diagemet XL 500mg (Metformin) (1 tablet twice per day) and Atorvastatin 40mg (1 tablet per day). Hope there are no major side effects from these drugs. Review is in January.
Did my first test with the Gluco Navii at 12:37 (did not follow directions properly and used the first drop of blood instead of the second, so result may not be accurate) and measured 21.00. I then did a second test at 12:46 and measured 19.8. I normally eat a sandwich, but only had an apple today. Have had nothing else to eat all afternoon, I will test again around 4:30pm before my sandwich lunch and then 2 hours after first bite. I'm not starting the meds until the morning. I have a follow-up doctor's appointment next Thursday. So I will be expected to give the drugs a try.
Are these meters to be trusted? Strange that the readings from the hospital test are so high, and yet the meter shows them dropping within 10 minutes.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did my first test with the Gluco Navii at 12:37 (did not follow directions properly and used the first drop of blood instead of the second, so result may not be accurate)
I regularly test with the Gluconavii. I only very recently came across the instruction to wipe away the first drop of blood and test the 2nd. I have never done this, and I strongly suspect that very few people here do. (Of course, I could be so wrong!) I do always wash my hands before testing. Imo that may be more important.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would just eating the salad sandwiches be a good start.
As you want to handle this with diet, better to forget about sandwiches made with bread, although some people here do manage to eat special low carb bread. You could try putting your sandwich filling between slices of lettuce or Chinese leaf etc. (or even bacon!) You might find the Diet Dr visual guides inspiring:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides
Elsewhere you mention eating an apple. You will see on Diet Dr that there are fruits that are much lower in carbs and at the same time more delicious eg raspberries. Frozen berries are really convenient and you can add a spoonful to your high fat low carb Greek yoghurt whenever you want.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got a copy of my results from my GP today. My HbA1c level is (was on the 23rd July 2021) 17.2% (164.0 mmol/mol). My GP actually phoned me this morning and said I could come in early for the results.
I also took a urine sample in, and it tested at the top of the range (dark green). I mentioned that I'd prefer to manage this with my diet but he insisted that I go on medication immediately. So I pick up a prescription this afternoon.
My glucose meter is on the way and I will be using it as soon as I get it. Need your advice on how I can drop my levels ASAP. Would just eating the salad sandwiches be a good start. Or would gentle or moderate fasting help more? My doctor has told me to carry on with the cycling so that's good.
Glucose meter has just arrived in the post. Got to get used to using it.
About keeping a diary. What should I be recording apart from Date, time, food (what should I record about the food?) and glucose level? What is the essential information and what is nice to know? More later. Thanks.
Your levels are rather high - it would be a good idea to remove high carb foods from your diet in stages, and you should be able to see your progress by testing two hours after starting to eat.
I was prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin, and they had a rather devastating effect on me - I thought I would have to go into a care home - though as Christmas 2016 approached I was having thoughts of suicide. Luckily I decided to give up on the tablets and then found that I did not need them. I am now happily low carbing to keep my blood glucose numbers in the normal range - under 7mmol/l and my Hba1c just at the top end of normal and it seems to be doing the trick.

Reactions: filly

djsb

Just been reading up on Metformin. It's been banned by the FDA in the US. The side effects are worse than any symptoms I have at the moment. I don't want to be taking this stuff long term. Am I within my rights to refuse to take this stuff?
Just done a test and my glucose has dropped to 14.5 (simply because I missed a meal at lunchtime-On purpose). Will do another measurement at 6:45pm.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been reading up on Metformin. It's been banned by the FDA in the US. The side effects are worse than any symptoms I have at the moment. I don't want to be taking this stuff long term. Am I within my rights to refuse to take this stuff?
You absolutely have a right to refuse any treatment. I regularly do!

On these Forums you will come across metformin enthusiasts and metformin haters. On the whole, I am one of the former. Metformin is not banned as such, but certain excipients (non active ingredients) in certain batches from certain brands have turned out to be contaminated. Having done my homework before starting, I chose to begin with Glucophage (not one of the contaminated versions), extended release. I began with the lowest possible dose and worked up to the highest. I always take it with food. By taking these precautions I have been able to avoid the gastric distress suffered by many.

The other possible side effect to watch out for is long-term B12 reduction. This seems to be rare. B12 levels can be checked during routine blood tests and action taken should it show up. Other than that, metformin has been prescribed for decades and appears to be remarkably safe. All sorts of health and even longevity claims are made for it quite aside from its effect on bg, which I believe is relatively minor.

My attitude is that unless/until I can lower my bg to absolutely normal levels by diet, exercise and perhaps stress reduction, I want whatever small aid metformin can give me.

My advice is to research diabetes, low carb and meds by Googling, surfing the Forums and reading trusted writers such as Dr Richard K Bernstein and Jenny Ruhl. Both have written excellent books and both offer a lot of free reading material on the internet. In addition, Dr B has made numerous Youtube videos which he calls his "Diabetes University".

Good luck!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your previous diet was very carb heavy. And the new version whilst an improvement still way higher than many here can cope with. The drs hba1c test reflects the average levels over 3 months. The fingerpricks you do show a snapshot in time. Lots of high “moments” add up to a high average.

can you see the links in red below this message? (Try looking in landscape). Have a read. There’s lots of useful links and explanations in them.

djsb

Just an Update as I've not been on here for a while. I've managed to avoid ANY medication and my last blood test was borderline diabetic (the doctor said my cholesterol could do with being a bit lower though-Probably because I'm eating more fat and protein). I had the test quite a while ago. However, I have been doing the finger blood test regularly EVERY DAY using a Gluco Navii meter and writing the results down. I test at the time of every meal and around 2 hours after. The lowest reading I've ever seen is 3.8 mmo/L after 24 hours of fasting, and the highest around 10 mmo/L or so (this is off the top of my head-Id have to review the readings for a definitive max reading). I'd still like to see my morning readings to regularly be less than 7.5 mmo/L, but I'm working on that. I am VERY responsive to exercise (I regularly walk a mile to and from work 5 days a week) and I try to cycle when I can (I do a 16.5 mile ebike ride to/from work when I can, weather permitting). I'm experimenting with fasting, and at the moment 24 hours seems to be the maximum I can stand without my concentration going to pot. But the fasting DOES reduce my base glucose levels. I need to vary my diet a bit more, as I'm still stuck in the kind of "emergency" diet I put myself on. Any just thought I'd do a quick update. Just off to cook my sesame seed, flax seed, Almond flour, chia seed, almond milk and wonky fruit porridge and another episode of "Happy Valley". Maybe another update later.

HolgateEnd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you attended a DESMOND course? I found it really useful. It was also interesting to note that, contrary to a lot of advice on here, NHS advice is that you should still include some carbs in your diet. The recommendation is to treat every meal like a Mercedes badge - 1/3 each of protein, carbs and veg.

Fasting for 24hrs will not, in my opinion at least, be good for your BG at all. You will eventually get significant lows at the end of the fast and then significant highs when you eat again. It’s better to have consistency and moderation and avoid spikes.

Be really careful with fruits, they’ve told me to limit to 2 pieces/portions per day max (I was previously having 6-7-8 portions of fruit per day), but I’ve currently got it down to around 4. Understand what constitutes a portion too, for example 7 average sized grapes is one portion. I’d usually eat 1/3 to 1/2 a punnet in one day!!

Diabetes is an absolute minefield, with lots and lots of conflicting advice, but carefully pick your way through it. Ask amongst your family, friends and colleagues as there may already be some diabetics who can help to guide and coach you. I was surprised to find a couple of colleagues are diabetic, and talking to them about managing it, meal plans etc has really helped.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason you are flagging whilst fasting, is that you system is still running on sugars rather than fats.
If you were properly fat adapted, your body would just burn it's own store of fats for fuel.
You are hitting the equivalent of the wall in marathon runners terms. Fat adapted athletes don't suffer that.
If you got 1/3rd of your energy from carbs, you will never reach fat adaption, you might control your blood levels, but will struggle to lose any weight necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I avoid most fruits as they spike my blood sugar - a few berries are OK (blueberries and strawberries are a little higher so I usually have raspberries). Also rhubarb in season.
As David Unwin says - bananas are evil, as are most tropical fruits. I can manage half a medium apple or orange but not a whole one.
I eat mainly protein and fats - and I find most pulses can only be eaten in small amounts eg in hummus, not enough protein for my daily needs.
It is possible to do low carb as a vegetarian but very hard for a vegan.
Add butter and olive oil to your diet, on green veg or green salads. Swap to full fat milk and full fat Greek yogurt.
I found hard-boiled eggs convenient as they will store in the fridge for at least 3 days, and I pre-cut or slice blocks of cheese (never processed).
There are lots of recipes online, search fro keto too.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting for 24hrs will not, in my opinion at least, be good for your BG at all. You will eventually get significant lows at the end of the fast and then significant highs when you eat again. It’s better to have consistency and moderation and avoid spikes.
Your liver should stop any excessive lows and there’s no reason why you should spike at the end if you choose the right foods. Fasting and intermittent fasting is recognised widely as a useful tool for T2 diabetes. The only real concern is if you are on fixed doses of a medication that has been matched to your usual carb/food intake that causes hypos As you need more flexibility than that to avoid the hypos caused by more medication than you need under the different but temporary circumstances

Reactions: Hezzal