Which BG monitor do you use?

Lisa69free

I've seen lots here that use the CGM and I've not got 1 yet so I'm curious at other monitors that are being used. In my short time of being diagnosed, I've acquired 3. A Caresense Dual, liked how it does ketone testing but found it more panic causing when it was flashing to test for ketones. Then I got a Gluco Nexus, the shape was groovy but I found it hard to contain in bag. Finally I got a Contour Next. Love the size, reminds me of an old MP3 playing device lol. The lancets I have found to pretty much fit all of my finger stabbing stocks too. They all give different readings at same time so I'm thinking unless way off, just use own judgement?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They all give different readings at same time so I'm thinking unless way off, just use own judgement?

My understanding is that (US requirements) a meter is only required to be within 15% of the "correct" number 95% of the time and 20% 99% of the time. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, but I find they are good enough to dose from. And there are studies to say whether some meters are more accurate than others.

I currently have a caresens dual, which I don't like as much as my previous abbott freedom lite, but has the advantage that the NZ government will pay for it and extra strips are available is pharmacies if I run out. I'm not bothered by the ketone warning, as I've had that on previous meters and know it just comes on if I'm over a certain level. Several reviews on the net like the contour next, for what it's worth. I also self fund a dexcom g6, so I don't use the caresens as much as I used to, though it's useful when I'm hypo or when I don't believe the dexcom.

I personally think it's probably best to use one meter and stick to it, and do more than one test if you think the reading is out (it's easy to have contaminants on your hands which mess things up.) If you end up doing 3 because you disbelieve the first then throw out any obvious outlier and otherwise pick the middle one. (Note that this is just my personal technique, it hasn't been recommended to me by a nurse, who would probably be horrified that on rare occasions I've ended up doing 3 tests.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LucySW

Lisa69free

It's handy to have a meter for different places. I have 1 for the bedroom as I often forget to check before going to bed but looking at the little bag by where I charge my phone reminds me lol. I have 1 for the rest of the day and 1 spare for them times when you get angry at a few strips giving error codes (Dodgy batch) or you can't believe the reading which happens lol. One time I actually used 20 strips and all had error codes. I thought machine was faulty. Glad I didn't bin it as it was just the testing strips.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For a while I've been using 2 different meters and seeing which one is more "efficient". But, I'm switching insulins when all my paperwork gets filled out and signed. My NP wants me to stick with just 1 for a while so that I'm not using varying numbers while I'm getting used to dosing the new insulin.

My first meter is made by a company called Diathrive, and I am going to keep this one in my purse as the strips are an arm and a leg. My second one is an Accu Check Guide me with the mySugr bundle, I pay $49 a month for unlimited strips, a diabetes coach, a nutrition coach, and a medication coach. My NP recommended this because the clinic is only open 4 days a week. She wants her diabetes patients to have medical access when the clinic is closed.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have 3 contour next one meters... when I test on all 3 at the same time the numbers are always close

I like the 'countors' they are small.. have a big memory and conn6well with mobile phones

Reactions: LucySW

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had three different meters since I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic, my first was a Accu-Chek Performa a nice accurate meter but the software for t was not free.

I then got a Abbott Freedom Lite which I still have, the free software is available for download for Windows. A great meter but not blue tooth unfortunately.

I have tried several blue tooth meters and settled on a Contour Next meter, it's pretty accurate comparing the readings to the Freedom Lite, Being blue tooth there is a android app for, it which fills my need for a logbook mainly, it does various charts though.

All the meters I have tried are eligible for subsidised strips from the NDSS here in Australia.

Reactions: EllieM

Tribal61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One Drop since 2015, before I had a Sanofi MyStar plus (both are bluetooth and made by Agamatrix) and I find’em very accurate in readings. One Drop has also a variety of plans for strips and lancets, that you can surely find the one that fits for you.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz - Bluetooth, very happy with it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an SD Codefree monitor. For me, my only concern is the difference between my pre and post meal readings, to monitor that my food intake is ok.

My fasting blood sugar level has been about 8 every day for 9+ years, so I rarely check that anymore.

Lisa69free

I'm trialling a Libre 2 sensor when it arrives. For the 2 weeks I'll be still finger pricking to check is accuracy as many here state it's a little off. I do love the Contour Next though, cool looking and great app. I'll miss that, it's the best I've seen so far

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Caresens, this meter gives results that match my laboratory BG test results time after time.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trialling a Libre 2 sensor when it arrives. For the 2 weeks I'll be still finger pricking to check is accuracy as many here state it's a little off. I do love the Contour Next though, cool looking and great app. I'll miss that, it's the best I've seen so far
I also have contour next and Libre 2, and a code free for Ketones. Usually the Libre and contour are within 1 mmol of each other. Remember if you are driving you still have to finger prick beforehand. Also if I am ill and going over 13 I find the Libre doesn’t always keep up and I have to double check with the contour next, but apart from this I love the Libre, I feel a lot more confident getting on with my day as my range can vary widely and quickly and a lot of things other than food effect my levels eg the weather, carrying something heavy, walking the dog in the cold, having a cold, getting stressed…..I was given about 3 other monitors before having the contour next, being told this one is a bit better. Haven’t been offered another one since and I am happy with the contour next. Good you are getting a Libre to try, honeymoon period is very frustrating, constant changes!

When you put the Libre on, wait 24 hrs before activating it by scanning. It will be much more accurate straight away.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's handy to have a meter for different places. I have 1 for the bedroom as I often forget to check before going to bed but looking at the little bag by where I charge my phone reminds me lol. I have 1 for the rest of the day and 1 spare for them times when you get angry at a few strips giving error codes (Dodgy batch) or you can't believe the reading which happens lol. One time I actually used 20 strips and all had error codes. I thought machine was faulty. Glad I didn't bin it as it was just the testing strips.
Definitely check before going to bed, a night time hypo is dangerous and I wake up feeling dreadful on the odd occasion I have had this. At the moment when things are changing for you this is important.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the UK you can legally use the Libre for driving now, no need to finger prick. Of course, if you're not finding the Libre reliable, or you feel low etc you should still finger prick.

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK you can legally use the Libre for driving now, no need to finger prick. Of course, if you're not finding the Libre reliable, or you feel low etc you should still finger prick.
I didn’t know that, thank you! That’s great, much easier!

Reactions: Hopeful34

Lisa69free

I also have contour next and Libre 2, and a code free for Ketones. Usually the Libre and contour are within 1 mmol of each other. Remember if you are driving you still have to finger prick beforehand. Also if I am ill and going over 13 I find the Libre doesn’t always keep up and I have to double check with the contour next, but apart from this I love the Libre, I feel a lot more confident getting on with my day as my range can vary widely and quickly and a lot of things other than food effect my levels eg the weather, carrying something heavy, walking the dog in the cold, having a cold, getting stressed…..I was given about 3 other monitors before having the contour next, being told this one is a bit better. Haven’t been offered another one since and I am happy with the contour next. Good you are getting a Libre to try, honeymoon period is very frustrating, constant changes!

When you put the Libre on, wait 24 hrs before activating it by scanning. It will be much more accurate straight away.
Thank you, I will wait to active