Cruising with the mouse low carb style

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So been trying to work out how to handle high carbs as I’m on a Disney cruise (actually right now! :) ) and got a couple of coping mechanisms in place.

Sat in the restaurant as we speak and got a sinking feeling as they said they couldn’t give me specific carb numbers (so time to do calculations).

But they’ve gone one better. They are altering every course to make it low carb!

Might even be a bit lower than my usual evening meal.

Will watch my numbers and correct as needed but may need to munch a cookie rather than take insulin. :)

Reactions: NicoleC1971

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
So been trying to work out how to handle high carbs as I’m on a Disney cruise (actually right now! :) ) and got a couple of coping mechanisms in place.

Sat in the restaurant as we speak and got a sinking feeling as they said they couldn’t give me specific carb numbers (so time to do calculations).

But they’ve gone one better. They are altering every course to make it low carb!

Might even be a bit lower than my usual evening meal.

Will watch my numbers and correct as needed but may need to munch a cookie rather than take insulin. :)
Wow how kind of them to consider your predicament. I watched a Disney Magic cruise ship leave the river Mersey last week by the way :D

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Disney! Your post has helped bring back my good opinion of them.
Have a wonderful cruise!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have fun with Mickey. You may be the only person to go on a cruise and come back Minnie -r!

Reactions: EllieM

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! Well done to Disney! And am envious of the cruise!!

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

So back home and thought you might like an update.

The MDR (Main Dining Room) did their best but while the food was low in carbs it wasn't exactly inspiring. I can't blame them as they had hundreds of people to feed.

So we quickly decided to eat in the signature dining restaurant PALO, and they were amazing, we ate there most nights ant they made a different off menu item for me every night (they tended to be around a theme as they only had so many ingredients) that tasted amazing (If people want I can provide photos).

Again, they couldn't give me specific numbers but they kept it low carb and not once during the whole cruise did I need to do an adjustment bolas dose, just my usual basal dose in the morning and pills.

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t be the magic huh.

Holiday blues? Takes me weeks to get over the Disney grumps, I want to sit in the road and cry when we have to leave :)

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t be the magic huh.

Holiday blues? Takes me weeks to get over the Disney grumps, I want to sit in the road and cry when we have to leave :)

I used the best fix for the holiday blues. I booked another Staycation cruise for September! :)