Neuropathy or PVD?

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just paid to go to a private hospital to sort out once and for all what’s going on with my feet. Had NHS x rays, ultrasound, nerve tests and blood tests. After 46 years of being type 1 it appears I have mild neuropathy in my hands and feet plus vascular disease in my lower legs and feet? I can walk 10 minutes before my feet throb ( middle two toes cramp then go numb ) and my calves are tight. I could walk 10-20 miles a day but everything is hard work now. Even walking round a supermarket. I’ve tried loads of shoes. My right leg is cold but has the best pulse. My left leg has a very faint one but doesn’t feel as bad. The consultant is sending me for a very expensive mri and putting me on a blood thinner. I’ve not had a diabetes check up, foot check or cholesterol test since before Covid. Sadly all of this is making me extremely down and affecting my marriage. My husband has tragically lost a parent and all I can focus on is myself Any help much appreciated. The consultant seemed puzzled I’d had foot pain for years that’s suddenly got worse and a sudden calf pain. It’s usually the other way round x

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Connie.
My sympathies, sounds awful for you.
I was diagnosed 5 years ago with PAD just after a T2 diagnosis.
I had already stopped smoking but that had undoubtedly caused problems over the years.
I had also put weight on pre diagnosis.
Walking had become painful, Calves particlarly (which is typical of claudication) and hip area. Like you many miles to a couple of hundred yards before it was painful.
I had mild neuropathy in my feet,

I changed my diet to (very) low carb because I was told (and read) that glucose if inflammatory.
I see you are T1 so honestly don't understand how diet / glucose works with that apart from it being insulin regulated. At least that discussion is one to have with your medical team.

My vascular guy said: No smoking, keep your glucose in good order and exercise.
Those measures have helped me and (touch wood) I've have improved.

I hope you find any underlying cause. Not being able to walk like you used to is very hard to take. I really hope these latest tests put you on the right road.
Best of luck.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Connie.
My sympathies, sounds awful for you.
I was diagnosed 5 years ago with PAD just after a T2 diagnosis.
I had already stopped smoking but that had undoubtedly caused problems over the years.
I had also put weight on pre diagnosis.
Walking had become painful, Calves particlarly (which is typical of claudication) and hip area. Like you many miles to a couple of hundred yards before it was painful.
I had mild neuropathy in my feet,

I changed my diet to (very) low carb because I was told (and read) that glucose if inflammatory.
I see you are T1 so honestly don't understand how diet / glucose works with that apart from it being insulin regulated. At least that discussion is one to have with your medical team.

My vascular guy said: No smoking, keep your glucose in good order and exercise.
Those measures have helped me and (touch wood) I've have improved.

I hope you find any underlying cause. Not being able to walk like you used to is very hard to take. I really hope these latest tests put you on the right road.
Best of luck.

Thanks so much. It’s really depressing as I was a hill walker and we moved from Hampshire back North to Yorkshire to enjoy it all. Now my husband walks alone and I sit in the car. I was diagnosed with coeliac disease 2 years ago and it seems to have triggered all sorts. It’s causing lots of stress as I’m ‘always ill.’ I am obsessed with health, and lack of it. I’ve never smoked. My husband’s mum died in May tragically and he’s trying to cope with the fall out. It’s hard to have so many hidden problems and he’s becoming increasingly intolerant. Lovely bloke too, even after 30 years of all of my issues! Luckily I don’t have epileptic seizures now so that’s a bonus. My coeliac is a pain and restrictive as a lot of things are very carb heavy. I try and eat low carb to get a grip on things. He’s a nurse ironically! Sorry to moan but you seem very kind and like you get it

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So sorry you're having such a hard time @conniecar. Sending hugs, and hope that you can get a breakthrough with your health. Unfortunately i can't offer any words of advice, but hope the MRI gives you some answers, as it must be so frustrating having to sit in the car whilst your husband goes for walks. It would get anyone down, I'm sure. Take care.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. We are just planning a motorbike tour of the Highlands.. that suits everyone I’d say as it’s not heavy on my feet I’ve never had private health care before but it’s a 4 month wait on the NHS. I just want some answers before I get back to work in September with 6 hours of standing up all day! Thanks again xxxxx

Reactions: Hopeful34