Alternative to Gliclazide

Neo88

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice, if possible :)

Has anyone had a situation where their GP practice has stopped prescribing your usual medication? I have been on Gliclazide since the rigmarole of my diagnosis was sorted out. I have to admit once my HBA1C dropped down I started taking it as and when needed, as I had been advised by my consultant but recently I have been very lax about it + recently bereaved, lost my job and the whole Covid situ which I know everyone has found hard. I had been doing so well that I dropped out the system.. so to speak.

I had my review in Jan this year which flagged the increase in HBA1C but they have now said they no longer prescribe Gliclazide ( I have enough to last until May!). I do have kidney function issues (change of GP practices, not able to read my notes on their system and refused to read the letters I had taken with me).

I said I was reluctant to change meds until I was able to do some reading about medication, but the nurse didn't seem to think the kidney issue was important and I was being "difficult"!.

So far, I haven't seen a suitable alternative which doesn't have some impact on kidney function. I may be being a bit pedantic but through fear and knowing the sheer frustration of having to constantly provide samples to check it really isn't a road I want to go down again.

All thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Neo88

Rusty Walsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Neo88
Just wondering if you got any responses to your post in Jan as I can't see a thread here.I now find myself in same position Nurse Practitioner & GP now refusing to prescribe Gliclazide 40 mgs "because of risk of hypos in over 60s' I'm 65 yrs old. Been on it for a few years, took myself off voluntarily 2 about 2 yrs ago as BS' were much better then. Never been near a hypo in 9 years. No kidney probs etc. Other people I know are still on 160mg a day, Dr wants me to have Ozempric. Nurse got very irritated with me when I questioned why I couldnt have Glic which works well for me. I don't understand it and that makes me very unsettled. I hope you're doing ok . Thanks Rusty