Away for a while

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found out that my Hba1c was 52 last December.
I had a phone call in January about taking statins, but my diabetes was not even mentioned.
My levels have dropped again now, but I have read that Covid can raise BG levels.

The short story is that I suspect that I was the source of the virus which made the main band members really ill over Christmas, and our bass player died at the end of January.

I really need some time to reflect on this.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take all the time you need @Resurgam , you will be welcomed back with open arms when you have your head straight. Take care xx

Reactions: DJC3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The short story is that I suspect that I was the source of the virus

Hi Resurgam, no one person can be the 'source' of the virus, it's not possible. Please take care of yourself. x

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
No no no, don’t do that, you cannot blame yourself! You were a victim same as everyone else. Sorry for the loss of your friend

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There was no intent on your part, no malice.
Take time to accept that you were not at fault.
These things sometimes happen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a phone call in January about taking statins, but my diabetes was not even mentioned.
My levels have dropped again now, but I have read that Covid can raise BG levels.

The short story is that I suspect that I was the source of the virus which made the main band members really ill over Christmas, and our bass player died at the end of January.

Hi Resurgam,

Have/had you contracted Covid yourself? Where you diagnosed??
A lot of things raise BG levels at that time of year.. Another "C word" Christmas is one of them.
Anyone of your band members could have unknowingly picked it up from anywhere then possibly passed it to you.?

Greif can play some strange tricks on one's reasoning.. If you are isolated? It can be crueller..

Talk it through. I don't quite understand how a coincidental higher than usual A1c equates with having C19??

Best wishes, & sorry for your loss.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam - I'm so sorry you are feeling things are getting on top of you.

Please don't forget that in January COVID was everywhere and case numbers were very large. I don't think it would be possible to pinpoint the source of any virus to an individual and taking that upon yourself is so, so very harsh.

I'm sure it shows how much you cared for those people, but please don't do this to yourself.

Take time to be kind to yourself.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey @Resurgam, I'm sorry about your friend who died. I'm really sorry for you, because of the guilt you feel you believe that it was you that gave him covid.
It wasn't! If you want to blame anyone, it's got to be the fella that lives next door, why aren't you angry with him?

Long story short, a huge part of my depression and anxiety were due to the fact that every time I went shopping during the lockdown, I was gonna bring the virus into my house and the wife wouldn't stand a chance if she got a heavy dose of covid, and everything else that entails. I have had panic attacks and a fear of going to asda in particular but Sainsbury comes a close second, followed by aldi, mind you her indoors loves their quiche. I mumble on.

The point is, you need to get this out of your head, and talking, even posting on here was helping a great deal, even some of the best advice found my way through, I haven't, just making a point, talking to anyone even a stranger, and keep talking.
At one point the realisation will nudge you in the right direction, decision based on logic (Spock fan)

I really know, what you are going through. It's tough, it's horrible, it's nasty, it's worth talking to your GP, mine was brilliant and went total OTT to get me the best treatment and counsellor. It also made me realise that I had to get healthy, if I was going to do anything positive. It was a start.

My anxiety and depression are on their holidays, they went to forgetfulnessland on a long tour doing gigs. The Russians are sending an envoy to Whitehall, telling the government that if there is any more attacks on their motherland, they will reply with nukes!
The government has said that the covid jab is working and its on course, and Britain since brexit and covid is booming.

There is only one person that can do anything about what is going on in your head, and that is you! It's gonna be up to you to make the first positive move, it's up to you to be decisive what you want. You are a band member and the friends you are among would rather have you strumming away on stage in memory of your friend.
Lastly, he wouldn't want to put this on you, he will not be happy with you, your knowledge, your reaction.

Please, please me (as the Beatles sung) and stay around even if it is for a little while longer, your knowledge, your caring, your empathy and you are a major part of the forum.

Enough!

Stay safe and keep playing.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other

Bless your heart Resurgam x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take time to reflect by all means @Resurgam but please don’t blame yourself.
Covid has affected pretty much everyone in some way or another, but no-one is to blame. Please be kind to yourself and come back soon.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree- take all the time you need to take care of yourself. This last couple of years have been difficult for everyone but it different ways. Look after yourself and talk to someone if you need to.

Take time to grieve for your friend but don't blame yourself. There is no way of knowing how he got the virus. So don't blame yourself.

Grief is hard so take care of yourself.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grief is a natural response to loss and part of the healing process.

Guilt is a dark and destructive emotion and will cause great harm to your mental health I know because the guilt I felt over my mothers death almost destroyed my and my families life I still grieve her loss but have come to realize that the guilt I experienced was not truly warranted and that my mother would not want me to self destruct because of it.

I think also the guilt you are feeling is also unwarranted as you have no way of knowing if you actually were the source of that outbreak as it was probably a totally random event that lead to it. and also the source of this particular virus lies somewhere in China not in you.. You and your friend and the rest of us are the victims of an impersonal force of nature..

You have my condolences on the loss of your friend but please do not get into the blame game. You don't deserve it.