Low BP, at the end of my rope

Heatherkins

Female, 58 yrs. I was diagnosed on March 30, and my A1C was 13.3. I got myself set up with a dietician, have shed about 35 lbs, -- currently about 181 lbs -- and I WAS DOING GREAT. Felt better than I had in years. Hadn't gotten onto much of an exercise program, but at least was doing a brisk 5 - 7 km walk per day and enjoying it.

Three-month blood test on June 30, and my A1C was down to 6.4.

Then my doctor decided to put me on blood pressure meds. My BP was NORMAL, but apparently this is a typical strategy for managing the disease. By the middle of week 2 on the BP pill I was crushed with fatigue (which I attributed to work) but by Friday I passed out on my living room floor, so no mistaking it was a problem with meds.

Since then my BP has stayed in the toilet -- more than a week. All I want to do is lie down and rest. I have no appetite, no energy, I can barely drag myself through a workday. I feel like a sack of sh*t.

I told myself when I was diagnosed that I would find a way to make this the best thing that ever happened to me, and I was on the road to doing that, but I have been completely derailed. There's no upward trend on the BP. I just can't go on feeling this ****** all the time.

Anyone else been through something like this? Any advice?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome

I assume you’ve asked doctor and stopped bp meds? Tried eating salt etc? You are doing great, this is just a little blip that will go away as quickly as it came. Best of luck.

Heatherkins

Oh yes! I stopped the meds right away & confirmed with the doctor. I've upped my salt intake. There doesn't seem to be a ton that can be done on the low bp side. I'm trying to be good about my diet and especially not to lose any more weight. Thanks for the encouragement Fenn!

Reactions: muzza3 and Antje77

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Oh yes! I stopped the meds right away & confirmed with the doctor. I've upped my salt intake. There doesn't seem to be a ton that can be done on the low bp side. I'm trying to be good about my diet and especially not to lose any more weight. Thanks for the encouragement Fenn!

I haven't seen BP pills as a standard response to normal BP before.
I've seen statins prescribed (because of alleged heart risk) on diagnosis which can have most of the side effects that you report (but not low BP) and may take a while to get over.
What was the name of the pill you were taking, then stopped?

Edit: how often are you checking your BP and what readings are you getting?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Female, 58 yrs. I was diagnosed on March 30, and my A1C was 13.3. I got myself set up with a dietician, have shed about 35 lbs, -- currently about 181 lbs -- and I WAS DOING GREAT. Felt better than I had in years. Hadn't gotten onto much of an exercise program, but at least was doing a brisk 5 - 7 km walk per day and enjoying it.

Then my doctor decided to put me on blood pressure meds. My BP was NORMAL, but apparently this is a typical strategy for managing the disease. By the middle of week 2 on the BP pill I was crushed with fatigue (which I attributed to work) but by Friday I passed out on my living room floor, so no mistaking it was a problem with meds.

Since then my BP has stayed in the toilet -- more than a week. All I want to do is lie down and rest. I have no appetite, no energy, I can barely drag myself through a workday. I feel like a sack of sh*t.

I told myself when I was diagnosed that I would find a way to make this the best thing that ever happened to me, and I was on the road to doing that, but I have been completely derailed. There's no upward trend on the BP. I just can't go on feeling this ****** all the time.

Have you had covid? You may have long covid.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What kind of eating regime are you following?

Great news on the weight loss but are you eating enough.

Doctor sounds like an idiot giving you unnecessary meds.. my sympathies, unfortunately there seem to be a lot of them around.
Are you on any meds for the T2?

Edit to add... are you monitoring your blood glucose at home and if so what kind of levels are you seeing?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
You may have white coat, so your BP might be high at the docs. My doc recognized this for me, so I test at home, and bring the results.
I was on two meds to bring my BP down, but as I got control of my BG levels and lost weight, my meds have been greatly reduced.

Heatherkins

Thanks All, I really REALLY appreciate this.

I missed no meals for the weight loss! Never went hungry for one second -- just improved my diet and reduced my intake somewhat. I've been eating around 1500 calories per day. (Anyone else using MyFitnessPal.com?) Generally, I cut out baked goods, potatoes, white rice, corn and alcohol and emphasized fresh fruit & veg, as well as protein (meat & dairy). Nut butter is the new treat.

For scale, I round myself down to 5' 9" and BMI says that "overweight" is 170 lbs and over. I'm at 181.

The BP med was Candesartan, AKA Atacand -- a 4mg tablet which my doctor said was the lowest dose. It took about 10 days for me to start feeling crummy, 15 days to have the faint.

I'm on Metformin, 1 500mg tablet and Januvia (AKA Sitagliptin) 1 100mg tablet. My dietician keeps asking me why there's been no change to the meds when I did such a number with weight loss. ~215 lbs down to 181 is almost 16%! The Dr. has no plans to change it, but I'm wondering now myself whether I'm getting the best care... And, at what point down the road I might get a reward for being such a good scout about weight loss, diet change and more exercise ----- i.e. reduced meds.

At the Dr's office on July 8 (before starting) my BP was 130/80. The day I fainted (July 23) I got my sister to come get me (I'm single & live alone) and we went to her pharmacy, which has a BP machine. On that day it was 107/59. Overall, systolic has ranged from 102 to 112 and diastolic has ranged from 59 to 69. At my latest Dr's visit this past Tues, she measured it at 102/69. I've been able to take 5 readings over the last 10 days -- not every pharmacy has those things -- and I've ordered a home BP monitor so I'll be able to monitor myself regularly.

I checked with the pharmacist: Candesartan takes around 2 days to clear out of the system -- so it's long gone, but my BP is basically flat.

The Dr. is saying that the rapid weight loss is having an effect on my ability to recover -- but honestly I'm wondering at what point I might want a cardiologist's help.

No white coat syndrome. No COVID.

She's also telling me NO NEED to measure glucose. I've pressed on this a couple of times, but she's saying that unless insulin is involved there's nothing to be gained by monitoring at home. I'm A) grateful not to have to prick my finger but B) flying blind. No idea what effect various foods have, or what my glucose might be at any given moment so I've just tried to avoid everything that might be problematic. FWIW at the last dietician appointment we set a goal for consumption of healthy starches, so I'm working on that.

I'm fed up with this. I run a business and I can't afford to be lollygagging around feeling woozy! Any thoughts on stepping up to the plate and starting some cardio? Or at the very least getting back to long walks?

THANKS again!! You are all so very generous, and I really appreciate this!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely recommend. that you get. a home blood glucose testing monitor so that you can check what certain foods do to your glucose levels You seem to be doing all you can , Keep on asking questions on the forum we are friendly and helpful
Carol:)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
You can’t fix what you can’t measure. A BG monitor is an absolute must.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She's also telling me NO NEED to measure glucose.

One of the listed side effects of Januvia and Metformin is low blood sugar... how are you supposed to know if you have low blood sugar if you aren't measuring.. ? Sorry but your doctor is an idiot.

I'd seriously recommend getting a meter and start testing your blood sugar levels.

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 13.32.37.png

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Candesartan

Please see https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/candesartan/ which seems to say that the drug is a secondary one which should be used if a primary one has failed to produce the desired result.

"Candesartan is meant for people who have tried taking blood pressure-lowering medicines called ACE inhibitors (such as ramipril and lisinopril) in the past, but had to stop taking them because of side effects such as a dry cough.".
So have you tried other BP medication in the past, with side effects?
[From your previous posts I am guessing not.]

"
Candesartan isn't suitable for some people.

To make sure candesartan is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:

• diarrhoea (or if you've recently had it) or you're being sick (vomiting)
  • been on a low salt diet
  • recently had a kidney transplant
  • if you have had an allergic reaction to candesartan or any other medicines in the past
  • severe liver disease or a problem with the drainage of the bile from your gall bladder (biliary obstruction)
  • diabetes
  • heart, liver or kidney problems
  • low blood pressure (hypotension)
  • are trying to get pregnant, are already pregnant or you're breastfeeding
"

Note the reference to diabetes.

I will say again that I hadn't before heard of BP lowering medication being a standard treatment on diagnosis of T2.

We can't diagnose, but I would be very tempted to get a second opinion from another GP.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I've never had problems with high BP - just with lowish BP (as a student I once fainted in queue for dinner at University Hall of Residence), yet when I came out of hospital after my 3x CAB they still put me on BP reducing meds though just the minimum dose. Apparently a BP med or 2 is part of the standard suite of drugs for heart patients regardless of whether our BP is raised or not.

After T2D diagnosis I went Low Carb ad ditched the BP meds so as not to suffer from fainting.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was offered on diagnosis, and continue to be offered the big three: BP meds, stations and Metformin despite no clinical need for them "because I am a diabetic" according to various diabetic nurses. Taking them is seen as standard, due to "higher risk of heart trouble"

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's standard procedure at our clinic to put all type 1 diabetics on bp meds when they get to 40. I was told it's to help protect the small blood vessels in the kidneys.