Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 It would work, I did my best to duplicate a vegan soup I had had at a deli here. So it was amount of stuff added as I went. But I had remembered the ingredients they listed. Which was Carrots, cashews, garlic, ginger and olive oil. And water had to be in it of course. My recipe had a lot less carrots than the one you listed. This one is a pale orange with a bare hint of garlic and ginger. It is blended to make it very creamy. I've had carrot soup before, what had struck me about this one is you don't really taste any of the specific flavors strongly? A slight hint of flavor of everything. A large bowl was eaten within minutes it went down so easily! Soak the cashews overnight and then blend for the really creamy thicker texture.I sprinkle parsley on almost everything I eat cooked, but it comes to mind chives would also be good.

Attachments

• 90289FF5-1FC6-47DC-9ED5-66F570D0C4E6.jpeg
    90289FF5-1FC6-47DC-9ED5-66F570D0C4E6.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 327

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Marie 2 !
I think this will make a lovely soup for hot days, when I don't really feel like eating much.
Do you roast the cashews or soak them raw and use them as they are?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 Soak and use "raw", There is a vegan website, It doesn't taste like chicken. She always is soaking cashews to make things, although you can just blend them, she has said it will make things creamier with them soaked. I don't think she has ever used roasted cashews, not sure? Roasted cashews taste a little different, but maybe they don't soak and soften as much? Instead of letting them soak overnight you can boil them for about 10-20 minutes to soften them. I've not tried to ever do roasted. I actually don't puree them that much as if I can use something like soymilk or vegan cream cheese etc I will because it's easier? But this had such a delightful flavor and I think I got pretty close to it.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/

EDIT You don't really use "raw"cashews, they have a toxin and they have to be roasted or boiled. So "raw" are usually boiled some. But they only sell them cooked. Boiled very slightly or roasted? At least as far as I know:).

Last edited:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I’ve not posted anything for a while, so these are my meals (for yesterday, midweek so not very exciting):

B: Poached eggs on (LivLife) toast

L: Shawarma kebab with low’ish carb wrap (using Asda’s plant based “chicken”). Quite tasty, not too spicy - no idea if authentic as I never eaten the dead-animal version.

D: Bean/lentil chilli with cauliflower rice. I made plenty, so same again tonight!

Snack: Smoked cheddar (I can recommend Tesco’s Finest, tastes closer to Godminster’s smoked) and walnuts.

Reactions: Marie 2

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
@cdpm Hi

This may sound silly, but what was in the can? (Aren’t all canned beans vegetarian?)

some do have P--k in them
so i get the ones that doesnt list it
in the ingredients list
there are beans in tomato sauce and maple beans
and some that actually say they are vegetarian
im not sure whats in them except that i check for the
no p--k
ive never seen any other animal product in beans
there is alot of sugar though
:arghh:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @cdpm

I hadn’t seen any with <you know what>. I do enjoy baked beans and can cope with a small amount - perhaps 1/4 tin (100g). I use a slotted serving spoon to drain most of the sauce.

I tried the Heinz low(er) sugar brand and they’re a good idea, but not enjoyable IMO ☹️

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Regular beans don't have a lot of sugar, but they do have some carbs, unfortunately a lot of the regular canned beans like to add sugar. I get the organic canned beans and they don't add sugar. Baked beans like to add a lot of sugar, maple sugar etc and an awful lot like @cdpm has said like to add p..k. So Heinz and a few other have vegetarian ones.

I love to cut up the fake hot dogs in a can of vegan baked beans. I use about 5-6 hot dogs per can and then eat half or a third of the can at a sitting. It adds more protein and makes it a more rounded meal.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve seen a few recipes to make baked beans, including sugar-free versions, but they seem a faff! ==> Just as easy to make chilli and throw everything else into the pan and make something tastier

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
kd
along with the scarily massive amount of insulin needed
1 hour later- ravenous
so lesson learned here-
its not a good choice for me

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
canned pumpkin pie mix

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Black tea, black coffee, cheese omelette.
L. Ploughmans sandwich on the run.
Snack. Mixed nuts
D. Root vege bake, roasted Hispi cabbage with tarragon and pecorino, small glass pinot grigio, one cherry liqueur chocolate.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
2 Breakfast Scrambled Tofu Tacos
5 Fake Bacon Slices
2 Green Monster smoothies, (Almond Milk, Banana, Spinach, Maca )
1 Small bag of Crispy Cauliflower Bites with sea salt
1 chocolate caramel
All vegan

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

2 Breakfast Scrambled Tofu Tacos
5 Fake Bacon Slices
2 Green Monster smoothies, (Almond Milk, Banana, Spinach, Maca )
1 Small bag of Crispy Cauliflower Bites with sea salt
1 chocolate caramel
All vegan

Sounds like fun! Not really a fan of cauliflower, but I guess if they are more processed they'd lose most of their taste? Also, where do you get your vegan chocolate? Where I live, choices are minimal

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Beating-My-Betes

Rhythm Company The Crunchy Cauliflower Bites have some oil but it's basically "enough heat and pressure applied" to make them pieces of cauliflower shrunk that are crispy. I love them and they are only 6 carbs per small bag............but not cheap. Great to eat or add a crispiness to the top of dishes, but they do still taste like mild cauliflower.

The chocolate caramel was by a company called Avenure Sweets, really really good. There are a ton of choices now (in the US at least) . It used to be only a few choices. I probably have only tasted 20% of the companies out there now, although some of the ones out there are only okay to me. I'm a traditional dark chocolate flavor person. I used to own a store and go to the trade shows so I got to taste and question a lot of the companies. But just over the last few years a tremendous amount of companies are making vegan chocolate now.

Below are companies I have tried and liked their products, Vitacost I believe ships international and has several choices.

But some vegan chocolate companies

Avenue Sweets taffy style caramels
Cocomel caramels, chocolate covered caramels and taffy type caramels
Free2B sunflower butter cups
Sjaaks biggest mix and all of it is delicious, my favorite is the Dream Big bar which is similar to a Babe Ruth, their caramels and truffles are really good too.

These companies make various vegan choices

Alter Eco Crispy Quinoa chocolate bar is like a Nestles Crunch, but many other kinds too
Amy's a few bars
Endangered Species, Blueberry and chocolate, coffee and chocolate, raspberry and chocolate, a huge selection available in bars
Enjoy Life, chocolate chips, chocolate bars
HU mmmmmm cocoa covered almonds,chocolate covered cashews, plus others
Justins dark chocolate nut butter cups
Lily's
Rose City Chocolatier......Gourmet chocolate, delicious, chocolate covered cherries,chocolate covered pretzels, marzipan etc
Unreal, M&M type, peanut M&M type, PB cups

A few others that make vegan chocolate I haven't tried
Beyond Good
Evolved
Goodio Craft Chocolate
No Cow
No Whey foods
Pascha
Taza

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77