Any fish recipes that are easy and quick to do

Sandy-55

Hi everyone in a quest for fish recipes thou I’m Not a fan of fish and don’t like seafood to fishy but I’m trying to incorporate fish into my diet but I don’t know of any recipes that would mask the taste of fish if you know what I mean
Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cook a lot of fish in parcels which are quick and easy to cook in a microwave.
A couple I make regularly are
  • Salmon with pesto and green beans. I add a drizzle of lemon juice.
  • Salmon with creme fraiche, leeks and peas. I add a pinch of dried tarragon.
Place the fish, vegetables and sauce on a sheet of baking parchment and wrap up into a parcel. I tend to use the weight of the fish to hold the parcel together.
Put on a plate in the microwave for 5 minutes and serve.

Salmon does not have an overly fishy flavour so makes a good "break-in fish".
If you want something with stronger flavour you could substitute the pesto with harissa or the tarragon with cayenne pepper, for example.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I like salmon a lot, smoked, cooked, raw.. pretty mild. I also like cod, I usually air fry it an squeeze a little lemon on it

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone in a quest for fish recipes thou I’m Not a fan of fish and don’t like seafood to fishy but I’m trying to incorporate fish into my diet but I don’t know of any recipes that would mask the taste of fish if you know what I mean
Thanks
Not a fan of fish either so tend to avoid if possible but if I have to cook I usually bake it in the oven wrapped in foil with a glaze of melted butter, coriander (or parsley) chilli and garlic. Salmon, cod, halibut all work well with that and aren't too "fishy". Apart from that lightly seared tuna is another fishy dish I like.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a fan of tinned red salmon. Just as good as fresh as far as nutrients are concerned. Doesn't require any cooking, tastes non-fishy. I add a drop of vinegar, plenty of real mayonnaise, and eat it with any salad items on hand. (usually cherry toms feature).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You could steam (or microwave) some white fish (such as cod or haddock) with a little butter, then cover it with a cheese sauce to mask any "fishiness".

Cheese sauce - heat 300 ml of double cream up (but don't boil) and add some grated cheese.
Cook until the cheese has melted and blended in.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I like my fish (salmon or cod usually) with lots of lemon juice. But add butter and black pepper to the green veg.
Then cooked and cooled salmon in mayonnaise and another squirt of lemon juice, wrapped inside lettuce with those small sour gherkins (not the large sugared ones).
You can also add cooked fish (white or salmon) to stir fried cauliflower rice with soy sauce - I do it stir fired with spring onion and broccoli.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We either grill or bbq fish fillets, whole fish are done in the oven wrapped in alfoil.

Normally we have either salad or cooked veggies to go with either of them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know if you like Oriental flavours but cod or salmon sprinkled with Teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman best) and grated ginger and if you like it a bit of grated chilli is very delicious. I have it with cauli rice which I make myself by blitzing cauli and storing 100g bags in freezer after they take a few mins in microwave.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On some whole fish we stuff it with lemon and onion wedges, puts a nice flavour through a mild tasting fish such as a sleepy cod.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basa AKA River Cobbler fillets taste of nothing at all, IMO, fresh or frozen. I tried them once and won’t be repeating that since I like fish to taste of fish! But they might suit your requirements, I imagine that nutritionally they are fine. Tinned sardines are nice on a chaffle or in a salad, though. The ones in springwater are milder in flavour than those in brine or oil.

Reactions: set-in-stone

Sandy-55

I cook a lot of fish in parcels which are quick and easy to cook in a microwave.
A couple I make regularly are
  • Salmon with pesto and green beans. I add a drizzle of lemon juice.
  • Salmon with creme fraiche, leeks and peas. I add a pinch of dried tarragon.
Place the fish, vegetables and sauce on a sheet of baking parchment and wrap up into a parcel. I tend to use the weight of the fish to hold the parcel together.
Put on a plate in the microwave for 5 minutes and serve.

Salmon does not have an overly fishy flavour so makes a good "break-in fish".
If you want something with stronger flavour you could substitute the pesto with harissa or the tarragon with cayenne pepper, for example.
Thank you I’ve got some salmon in the freezers so I will give this ago I never thought to nuke it , I do have a habit of leaving things to the last minute including cooking

Reactions: In Response

set-in-stone

Recipes making me hungry already!

I cook a lot of fish. Would usually make a marinade using some of these ingredients, depending on the fish.
Greek yoghurt- keeps the fish moist. Olive or rapeseed oil, salt, pepper / hot chilli, mixed herbs, curry powder, sliced onions.
Sometimes I toss a few frozen spinach or sliced mushrooms in the base of the oven dish before laying the coated fish and cooking. Saves me making a separate veg dish to go with the fish.

Sandy-55

Not a fan of fish either so tend to avoid if possible but if I have to cook I usually bake it in the oven wrapped in foil with a glaze of melted butter, coriander (or parsley) chilli and garlic. Salmon, cod, halibut all work well with that and aren't too "fishy". Apart from that lightly seared tuna is another fishy dish I like.[
Thanks I’ll give that a go thou I did cook cod yesterday with peppers and onion usually the peppers mask the fish I didn’t enjoy it tasted fishy whether that was a bad fish I don’t know ….I’ve done this before and it’s tasted ok…..for fish

Sandy-55

Basa AKA River Cobbler fillets taste of nothing at all, IMO, fresh or frozen. I tried them once and won’t be repeating that since I like fish to taste of fish! But they might suit your requirements, I imagine that nutritionally they are fine. Tinned sardines are nice on a chaffle or in a salad, though. The ones in springwater are milder in flavour than those in brine or oil.
Are sardines not strong in taste and what’s a Chaffle

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you really dislike it then don't bother.. just have more meat.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can cook it in a tomato, onion and garlic sauce with curry powder to taste or as in the Spanish med with with peppers, onions, garlic, tomato and paprika.