Not told about Diabetes

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in case they didn’t make it clear the free prescriptions are only for people on diabetic medication (diet control only don’t get it) and you must get the certificate from the forms you been given first before you claim the exemption. If he’s not been on diabetic medication then date of diagnosis is irrelevant to claiming ppc back. I too use prepaid certificates as I don’t qualify because I declined metformin.
Yes, claiming free prescriptions where you aren't entitled is not good and there are fines for doing so. You need a medical exemption and that needs prescription of diabetic drugs and a completed form. Once you have your medex it lasts for 5 years

@RosB You need to get a refund form at the time of picking up prescription, you cannot back date, sorry and as no drugs prescribed, he wasn't entitled I'm afraid

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions-and-pharmacies/who-can-get-free-prescriptions/

Your receptionist might have given you false info, it depends what was prescribed.

Reactions: RosB

RosB

thanks HSSS I will keep that in mind. Hubby's BG level 2 hours after eating tonight was 11.1. Not terrible (I understand it's supposed to be under 8.5 two hours after eating?) but not great. At least we have a point of reference to work from now.

Nicole, I wish I'd known about the diet link and mental health sooner! I've been obese most of my adult life and was always told low fat, low fat. This year I've cut my sugar intake and I've lost 20lbs!! I'm assuming it won't cure my Bipolar ;) but if it helps with the depression it's worth sticking with!

RosB

Yes, claiming free prescriptions where you aren't entitled is not good and there are fines for doing so. You need a medical exemption and that needs prescription of diabetic drugs and a completed form. Once you have your medex it lasts for 5 years

@RosB You need to get a refund form at the time of picking up prescription, you cannot back date, sorry and as no drugs prescribed, he wasn't entitled I'm afraid

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions-and-pharmacies/who-can-get-free-prescriptions/

Your receptionist might have given you false info, it depends what was prescribed.

I saw on the form the receptionist gave me that you have to be on medication for diabetes to be exempt. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what the Diabetic Nurse says on the 9th August. I wasn't really expecting to be able to back date the free prescriptions. Our luck is never that good! :rolleyes:

RosB

Right, Dr phoned hubby today (about something else). Hubby asked Dr what his blood sugar level was at his last test about a month ago. Dr said "54. ok, considering your age." that was the end of the convo. Now we're even more bemused! FYI hubby is 51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, Dr phoned hubby today (about something else). Hubby asked Dr what his blood sugar level was at his last test about a month ago. Dr said "54. ok, considering your age." that was the end of the convo. Now we're even more bemused! FYI hubby is 51
54 is in the diabetic range. (Diagnosis starts at 48. It’s not particularly high but it’s there) Bog all to do with age, certainly not 51. Much older people may balance quality of life and diabetes management if balancing competing demands but ridiculous to bring age into it in your 50’s. Easy for a dr to be complacent when it’s not their body. This makes me so mad. But on the flip side I guess they are used to people not doing much about it (maybe because they aren’t getting the message it’s possible and important!)

Reactions: EllieM and RosB

RosB

54 is in the diabetic range. (Diagnosis starts at 48. It’s not particularly high but it’s there) Bog all to do with age, certainly not 51. Much older people may balance quality of life and diabetes management if balancing competing demands but ridiculous to bring age into it in your 50’s. Easy for a dr to be complacent when it’s not their body. This makes me so mad. But on the flip side I guess they are used to people not doing much about it (maybe because they aren’t getting the message it’s possible and important!)

MIL was diabetic. Pills then insulin. So we know how important this is. TBH I'm in shock and incredulous about the complacency of the Medical Centre in question. I've complained to NHS England and they're very keen to get on and investigate them, I just have to sign and return some forms.

I'm most worried about any damage that might have already happened to hubby's body, because he didn't know about it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MIL was diabetic. Pills then insulin. So we know how important this is. TBH I'm in shock and incredulous about the complacency of the Medical Centre in question. I've complained to NHS England and they're very keen to get on and investigate them, I just have to sign and return some forms.

I'm most worried about any damage that might have already happened to hubby's body, because he didn't know about it.
To be fair 54 whilst not good is a lot lower than many people spend many years at and many are diagnosed much much higher. Whilst problems can start to occur at this level take some solace in that it is a lot less likely than with higher levels. It’s still early days and lots can still be done to improve his situation. That’s not meant to minimise your complaint in any way but to reassure you given that you can’t now change the past, only the future and it’s a long way from hopeless.

Reactions: DanW13 and RosB

RosB

To be fair 54 whilst not good is a lot lower than many people spend many years at and many are diagnosed much much higher. Whilst problems can start to occur at this level take some solace in that it is a lot less likely than with higher levels. It’s still early days and lots can still be done to improve his situation. That’s not meant to minimise your complaint in any way but to reassure you given that you can’t now change the past, only the future and it’s a long way from hopeless.

Thank you, I understand what you mean completely xx

DanW13

Thank you, I understand what you mean completely xx

Think you’re right to look to move GP’s, yours sounds absolutely appalling, hope things improve for you and your husband going forwards.

Diet wise others have pretty much covered this off, I’ve been low carb for a year now & my diet now includes lots of fish, omelettes, Greek yoghurt & nuts! The latter are good if your hubby is the type who tends to snack between meals. Best nuts I’ve found in terms of low carb & health benefits in general are pecans, macadamias, walnuts & almonds. All delicious, filling, very healthy & low carb.

Fruit wise I stick to berries - small handful of raspberries, strawberries or blueberries.

Best of luck.

Reactions: RosB

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saddens me to read this, 2 years of potential damage that could have been avoided with a simple phone call, borders on malpractice in my eyes. Luckily he's only just over the diagnostic threshold so might be in the clear complications wise.

Diet will be the same for both of you regardless, embrace low carb & start enjoying a healthier life together.

Reactions: DanW13 and RosB

RosB

Hubby spoke to the Diabetic Nurse on monday, via phone. He said she was lovely. He told her about the situation and she said "oh you poor love!" so it's nice to know there's some staff there with empathy!

She made an appointment for him tomorrow afternoon to have his blood pressure and feet checked. That will be fun, he's worked on a farm his whole life and has, over the years due to injury, lost both toenails from his big toes and they have regrown, but they never look the same, do they? :grumpy:

The nurse is allowing him to try and control it by his diet (I think he insisted) and in 3 months time he will have another blood test. Pills will follow if his sugar hasn't gone down. He's also had his eye screening.

The Practice Manager phoned and left us both a message about our NHS England complaint last week, saying she wants to meet to discuss this. She said she'd keep phoning, but she's not phoned us again since, so I guess that's how important it is to her. :shifty:

Thanks again for all your help and replies