Nutrition and supplements

Lisa69free

Ok, so I recently posted about fiber being magic for diabetics and I thought I would post a few more things I've found to help.

I was diagnosed June this year and I am enjoying being educated about how to live better with my T1 life.

I've found that magnesium is a great addition to our artery.
Magnesium has an important role in insulin action, and insulin stimulates magnesium uptake in insulin-sensitive tissues. Impaired biological responses to insulin is referred to as insulin resistance.

Zinc I've found to be another powerful soldier in our fight.
Zinc itself may be a crucial element in insulin metabolism. Zinc is well-known as a powerful guardian against viral infections, and may also act to protect beta cells from destruction. Type 1 diabetics are often zinc deficient, and supplements have been shown to lower blood sugar levels in some type 1 cases.

Feel free to add your little tips

Lisa69free

Thiamine B1 too.
Thiamine administration can prevent the formation of harmful by-products of glucose metabolism, reduce oxidative stress and improve endothelial function. The potential benefit of long-term replacement in those with diabetes is not yet known but may reduce cardiovascular risk and angiopathic complications.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i take supplements as i am doing the carnivor diet. I take these cod liver oil and multi vitamins from holland and barrett https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...l-with-multi-vitamins-capsules-500mg-60005405. I also take zinc and magnisium from them as well.

For my elecrolites i take a one a day tablet, going to order these next https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nu...ncy=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&variation=10529468.

A good video for supplements is by kendberrymd

I find this works ok for me but everyones milage will vary :)

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
While I'm prepared to agree that supplements are probably a good idea if you are deficient in various minerals/vitamins, I personally would want to be sure I was deficient before I blithely took supplements of things that might be dangerous if I overdosed on them.
eg google says that zinc overdosing can occur from supplements.
7 Signs and Symptoms of Zinc Overdose (healthline.com)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My personal strategy is only to supplement if I can't or won't eat those foods naturally or have some kind of absorption problem or some symptoms of having less than optimal intake.

I assume that I will not absorb vitamins in supplements as well as if I digest them the way nature intended i.e. with other foods that help (iron and vitamin C for example) or fat with A,D, E and K and avoiding or limiting those substances that hinder such as cigarettes, alcohol and sugar. I find it hard to trust the sellers of these products as in the US there is overt marketing claims for nutraceuticals ,and presumably covert campaigns here, to make us think we need these products.

If you are vegetarian and vegan especially I don't think it is possible to live healthily without supplements unless you are very careful.

I take vitamin D and K2 because I live in the UK. No idea if I am deficient in any other vitamins/minerals.

I do remember being told by a well know nutritionist to take chrominum but upon reaching the till, being told that this was of dubious benefit for a type 1 like myself.

I get that we live in a world where our vegetables may grow in deficient soil so where people can't afford organic, supplementation may help those with a definite deficiency or symptoms of deficiency.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’m just taking a multi and D3 at the moment. I take zinc, magnesium, B complex and creatine when I’m training, but gyms are closed here, so no need to over do it

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info everyone. Will keep taking the codliver oil+multi vitamin as it had Vit D and K2 in it and leave the rest off and see how it goes :).

Just checked my zinc tablets and they only got 15mg of zinc in them so i was well below the 40mg a day limit. Thanks for the info Elliem

Reactions: LaoDan

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just take a miltivitamin and Vit D3, along with BP and T2 oral meds and insulin.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Do we really need these vitamin pills?
Surely any deficiency would show in our regular blood tests?

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My dermatologist recommended the Vitamin D3 for me and my mom because we both have extremely fair skin (burn at the drop of a hat) and we don't get out in the sun much.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Ok, so I recently posted about fiber being magic for diabetics and I thought I would post a few more things I've found to help.

I was diagnosed June this year and I am enjoying being educated about how to live better with my T1 life.

I've found that magnesium is a great addition to our artery.
Magnesium has an important role in insulin action, and insulin stimulates magnesium uptake in insulin-sensitive tissues. Impaired biological responses to insulin is referred to as insulin resistance.

Zinc I've found to be another powerful soldier in our fight.
Zinc itself may be a crucial element in insulin metabolism. Zinc is well-known as a powerful guardian against viral infections, and may also act to protect beta cells from destruction. Type 1 diabetics are often zinc deficient, and supplements have been shown to lower blood sugar levels in some type 1 cases.

Feel free to add your little tips

Have you considered food sources for Magnesium and Zinc rather than supplements:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-foods-high-in-zinc#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-foods-high-in-magnesium

Reactions: EllieM

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do we really need these vitamin pills?
Surely any deficiency would show in our regular blood tests?
It is amazing that mankind managed to survive for thousands of years without Holland & Barrett.

Lisa69free

Food source is an option but personal choice as we don't always like the food that contains the nutrients we need

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
google says that zinc overdosing can occur from supplements.
I Googled to find out the food sources of zinc, and it seemed to me that given I'm not eating oysters daily (or indeed at all) it might be a good idea to supplement. I read that our supply of zinc needs to be renewed every day, so we can't even binge eat it to stock up for a while. My current solution is zinc + magnesium supplements, but I'm not particularly happy with that.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I need a trip to hotel Chocolat for some high cocoa content bars
The lowest carb chocolate I have been able to find is Montezuma Absolute Black 100%, available with orange / peppermint oil (my favourites) and other flavours. Only 8gc per 100g, which puts it level with almonds! It is horribly expensive, but is often offered at a discount on Amazon or elsewhere. I used to be addicted to Hotel Chocolat 100% drops, but they disappeared during the pandemic and now I prefer Montezuma, which are also lower carb.