Is this normal?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Today I got some 'Lo Salt' as it seemed that people on here recommended it because of lower sodium content plus potassium.
I sprinkled a small pinch onto my dinner (of beefburger, broccoli, green beans, kale and spinach leaves)
I don't usually have ANY form of salt, but hoped it would be beneficial for the early morning cramps.
Anyway, that was well over an hour ago but I feel really thirsty.
I've downed two cups of tea, brushed my teeth, and now have some water, but still feel as if my tongue is salty.
Did I do wrong having the salt, or is this a normal reaction for someone who never uses any?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is this a normal reaction for someone who never uses any?
I think so. I too swing between eating very low salt and adding Lo-Salt for the sake of the potassium in it. Every time I add Lo-Salt to my food I notice getting extra thirsty. I really can't decide whether no salt or Low-Salt is better.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think so. I too swing between eating very low salt and adding Lo-Salt for the sake of the potassium in it. Every time I add Lo-Salt to my food I notice getting extra thirsty. I really can't decide whether no salt or Low-Salt is better.
Glad it's not just me then Alexandra! I am always so nervous when trying anything new

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using lo Salt (or equivalent) for a number of years.
I don’t add salt to every meal, especially if it include naturally salty ingredients such as cheese, soy sauce or stock.
If I need to add salt, I use much less than most people and I am very sensitive to the flavour.
My reaction to lo salt is no different to normal salt.

Reactions: EllieM and coby

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use pink Himalayan salt, which contains sodium, potassium and magnesium, if I use any at all, generally only in recipes that call for salt. However to stop night cramps which I got in the early days of low carbing I used to use magnesium spray. Magnesium deficiency can cause cramp and magnesium is better absorbed through the skin than orally. It worked for me!

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been using lo Salt (or equivalent) for a number of years.
I don’t add salt to every meal, especially if it include naturally salty ingredients such as cheese, soy sauce or stock.
If I need to add salt, I use much less than most people and I am very sensitive to the flavour.
My reaction to lo salt is no different to normal salt.
Thank you for the comment. I'm not someone who ever even has salt in the house (well apart from when my path is icy in winter) so I don't know how I would react to it? Perhaps just the same as I have to this Lo Salt today

Reactions: In Response

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use pink Himalayan salt, which contains sodium, potassium and magnesium, if I use any at all, generally only in recipes that call for salt. However to stop night cramps which I got in the early days of low carbing I used to use magnesium spray. Magnesium deficiency can cause cramp and magnesium is better absorbed through the skin than orally. It worked for me!
Rachox I have never heard of that before?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The pink salt and the magnesium spray were info I picked up from this forum :)
I am learning so much right now Rachox. I am now three weeks into eating low carb .. still a little hesitant to say that I truly know what I'm doing, but I have felt lighter, healthier and more energetic than I have in a very long time, and have lost 14 lbs too :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am learning so much right now Rachox. I am now three weeks into eating low carb .. still a little hesitant to say that I truly know what I'm doing, but I have felt lighter, healthier and more energetic than I have in a very long time, and have lost 14 lbs too :)
We’ll done on the weight loss, I lost a shed load of weight in the first 18 months, as you can see from my profile pic :) And I agree I feel healthier than I had for years.