ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi. I'm slightly surprised by this. How many people have a fasting glucose of 18mmol? I agree a mid-range C-Peptide doesn't tell you much. I would challenge that a low-C-Peptide and normal BS indicates normal insulin; it certainly doesn't in my case or anywhere near it. I wonder how many other universities such as Exeter would agree with the Oxford group? My second C-Peptide was a urine one analysed by Exeter and didn't involve measuring my fasting BS so how does that work?
You can have low C-peptide (lower end of normal range) and normal blood sugar means your insulin repsonse has been used up to normalise your blood sugars.

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
You can have low C-peptide (lower end of normal range) and normal blood sugar means your insulin has been used up to normalise your blood sugars.
So I could get 0.05 and still be making my own insulin?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Which is of course a classic T1 or LADA diagnosis.
I think the fact my daughters both have hyperinsulinism, dad was T2, mum T2, Sister T2, brother PreD, found out last night closest T1 is a Nan, strongly suggests a T2 with worn out pancreas to me. I’m ok with that because it makes sense to me.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
So I could get 0.05 and still be making my own insulin?
C-peptide is just a snapshot of your insulin. It's not a 3 month average like HbA1c. It needs to be interpreted with your fasting blood glucose. If your blood sugars are normal then you had an insulin response to bring them down.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the fact my daughters both have hyperinsulinism, dad was T2, mum T2, Sister T2, brother PreD, found out last night closest T1 is a Nan, strongly suggests a T2 with worn out pancreas to me. I’m ok with that because it makes sense to me.
Did they ever test for antibodies? It’s not conclusive if negative but would be if positive.

Some people are type 1 without any family also being so. Some type 1 also carry some extra weight. Not being overweight initially and having low insulin doses (suggesting little IR) to me adds weight to the type 1 argument.

I’m glad you’re happy enough and practically if you’re staying on insulin the treatment doesn’t vary much other than access to tech like libre and pumps. But really nothing you’ve given as a reason that you are a worn out type 2 prevents you being a LADA/type 1 as far as I can see.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
C-peptide is just a snapshot of your insulin. It's not a 3 month average like HbA1c. It needs to be interpreted with your fasting blood glucose. If your blood sugars are normal then you had an insulin response to bring them down.
Isn’t it relevant what the blood sugars were (ie how far they had to come down) and how much insulin it took to do so? If the meal was very low carb for example and insulin resistance was minimal only a little insulin would be required and someone still producing a little insulin - for now - could cope and achieve a normal push bgl. Whereas a high carb meal with high starting bgl takes more insulin, and high IR would too, to achieve normality. Much easier to “fail” either due to underproduction or high IR.

or am I confusing everyone else as much as I am myself here. (My head is going in circles tonight) Someone hopefully will understand my gibberish and translate.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Tested on the top edge of negative for GAD, the cpep test for me had to be 2 hours after my biggest meal of the day, I had eaten, eggs, sausage, mushrooms, tiny bit of bacon as I’ve gone off it, fried in vinegar tomatoes and two toast, I injected 4 units of novo as a complete guess and was 8 @ 2 hours but no idea after that, when I say low insulin dose, tonight I ate chicken from the butchers with bbq sauce no idea what was in that, 200g of cauliflower cheese and 200g of oven chips, about 2 hours ago, I injected 5 units and I’m currently 5.0, from what I gathers that isn’t high? All I really wanted was to not be putting more on top of already a lot. And to be honest I can afford the libres.

sorry OP

edit I was over weight on diagnosis 8 years ago so that’s like 6 years before insulin

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Isn’t it relevant what the blood sugars were (ie how far they had to come down) and how much insulin it took to do so? If the meal was very low carb for example and insulin resistance was minimal only a little insulin would be required and someone still producing a little insulin - for now - could cope and achieve a normal push bgl. Whereas a high carb meal with high starting bgl takes more insulin, and high IR would too, to achieve normality. Much easier to “fail” either due to underproduction or high IR.

or am I confusing everyone else as much as I am myself here. (My head is going in circles tonight) Someone hopefully will understand my gibberish and translate.
Insulin resistance is when cells in your muscles, fat, and liver don't respond well to insulin and can't easily take up glucose from your blood. You're right. If you have a stimulated c-peptide it would give a better picture of this case.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t really understand but that’s prolly normal when an intelligent person tries to explain something to an imbecile :)

My hba1c was 126 on diagnosis and I was Fat around the middle, that’s classic T2

Je21

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
So I did get referred for the c-peptide and GAD shortly after I posted this and got the results back this week. I have been diagnosed with late-onset type 1 (26) Xx

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
So I did get referred for the c-peptide and GAD shortly after I posted this and got the results back this week. I have been diagnosed with late-onset type 1 (26) Xx
Do you know your results? Are you happy to have that diagnosis?

Je21

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Do you know your results? Are you happy to have that diagnosis?

I was just told I had the antibodies present , she’s didn’t give me a figure as it was a phone appointment.
I wasn’t sure what I was hoping for really? Just to have an answer and be on the correct treatment plan Xx

Reactions: Fenn