3am rise in BG levels

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, over the past few months at 3am every night my BG levels suddenly shoot up. I go to bed on a normal range last night for example is was 5.3mmol/L when I went to bed at 11.30pm, 3am it was 12.1 and when I got up at 7am it was 17.6, it's been doing this every night since March, I have no idea what is going on.

Any suggestions please, during the day I am staying in normal range yesterday for example I stayed between 4.4 and 7.1

I've been type 1 for 50 years so have no idea why this has suddenly started happening.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my bgs rise every morning between 3am-6am i take a couple of units of insulin b4 i get up this is known as dawn phenomonen .i have had this since diagnosis 4 years ago.the rest of the day my levels are fine .also if i have eaten a particulary fatty tea i find bgs rise in the early hours .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think my blood sugars have been doing this since diagnosis of type one 46 years ago and I think my problem has been trying to get it down again with extra insulin in the morning and then being low for the rest of the day , I find the best plan for me has been just give my normal dose and would you believe it works better and quicker sometimes if I reduce my dose slightly , If i'me high at seven o clock say 15 I give myself my normal dose have my breakfast and by 10 o clock it's will be about 6 - 7 and 5 by lunch time . I retired two years ago and I think it has just been more noticeable because I now do more blood tests .

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novorapid and Insulatard, take both at 7am and again at 6pm before my evening meal

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my bgs rise every morning between 3am-6am i take a couple of units of insulin b4 i get up this is known as dawn phenomonen .i have had this since diagnosis 4 years ago.the rest of the day my levels are fine .also if i have eaten a particulary fatty tea i find bgs rise in the early hours .

I don't eat fatty foods as I can't eat it due to getting tummy pains if I eat anything really fatty, it doesn't matter what I eat it still happens, I will have a look on google to read up on dawn phenomenen, thanks.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has your Insultard dose ever been higher or lower than it is currently? If so, what was happening when that was the case?