Covid vaccine

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I’m getting my first covid vaccine today (Australia)
and I’m terrified. Not of the actual injection - diabetics are experts with needles but I’m so scared of side effects and blood sugar issues.
Any advice :nailbiting:

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sharrryn, do you know which vaccine you will be having?
I had Astra Zeneca and after the first one my BG was low the same day I had the jab, the next day I was a bit high and felt wobbly and a bit grim (aching etc), the day after that I was fine except for a bit of numbness/tingling in my hand, which did worry me a bit but was gone the next day. After my second jab I just had a bit of a sore arm.
Obviously we're all different but the different vaccines seem to vary a bit in side effects.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Reactions: EllieM and Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sharrryn, do you know which vaccine you will be having?
I had Astra Zeneca and after the first one my BG was low the same day I had the jab, the next day I was a bit high and felt wobbly and a bit grim (aching etc), the day after that I was fine except for a bit of numbness/tingling in my hand, which did worry me a bit but was gone the next day. After my second jab I just had a bit of a sore arm.
Obviously we're all different but the different vaccines seem to vary a bit in side effects.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine :)
Thank you. I’m having the Pfizer.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The reactions to the jab seems to vary significantly.
For me, I had a lower level after the jab. I had my second jab more than two months ago and my basal dose is still 15% less than pre jab. On the other hand, I have seen other people with diabetes experiencing higher levels.

Thankfully, I had no other reaction.

My advice would be to do extra testing and be prepared for highs and lows.
You may have a few off days after the jab, or not, but, whatever, I think it is worth it.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had both of my AZ covid shots several months ago with out any problems / side effects.

My bgl stayed around the same level but then again I am a T2 not a T1 diabetic. You have more to fear from covid than the vaccine.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had both jabs, Moderna. no noticable effect on my diabetes, no other side effects apart from a slightly sore arm for a couple of days.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had my first Pfizer a week ago, my husband had his at the weekend. Both of us had slightly sore arms (less than a flu jab) and a day of feeling a bit drousy/tired. I didn't notice any effects on my bgs. Am looking forward to getting my second, though am expecting more of a reaction. I look at it this way, if I react badly against the vaccine, how much worse would it be when I catch the virus?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am fully vaccinated with AZ.
First jab made me really unwell, fever, chills, no appetite, headache, nausea as well as terrible fatigue. The worst of the symptoms began 12 hours after vaccination and lasted 24 hours. After that I was fine, the sore arm and fatigue stuck around for about a week, I spent 48 hours with hypos but after that my insulin resistance shot up and took a few weeks to sort my sugars back out.

second dose, fever and chills 12 hours after for around 8 hours, headache for 24 hours and a heavy arm.. felt absolutely fine after that and had no noticeable effect on Bgl.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi
and I’m terrified. Not of the actual injection - diabetics are experts with needles but I’m so scared of side effects and blood sugar issues.
I had the Novovax on the Covid trial and had a headache, muscle aches and pains, and chills, and tiredness. It was nothing compared to my usual migraine or getting the flu or tonsillitis. It did not stop me from exercising or going about my usual activities. Blood sugar issues are something you must deal with on a daily basis. I'm pleased you're getting the vaccine. (I need enough people to get it to open the borders so I can come home :()

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Assuming you are young and may be offered the Phizer one if in the UK?
Don't assume you are going to get high blood sugars but do have a plan in case you do e.g. your sick day rules of increasing the basal dose, keeping hydrated, having some ketone test strips as you should have in any case.
I didn't notice anything back in February when I had my Ph dose but everyone is different and if you've had covid already this may increase your reaction as will the type of vaccine you're offered.
Note that stress will also spike you so plan some relaxing things to do before and after if you can.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It does seem like a lottery wether you suffer from any side effects , I'me type 1 and have had both my Phizer jabs and didn't suffer in any way , So chin up it will be fine !

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does seem to be a minority that suffers side effects from the Vaccine (I'm one of them btw). And if the experiences shared on this forum are representative it seems like it's more likely to affect people who have had Diabetes longer, regardless of age.

Whilst the side effects are there, they almost always seem temporary. They always seem to relate to Insulin requirements, but... and this is the important thing... that does happen anyway. So really there's not much to worry about, I assure you.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice. I had the Pfizer jab - I’m in Australia- about 10 hours ago now. Sugars a bit high tonight but they are often that way anyway so can’t really blame the vaccine as it could just be me having a high sugar day. Still have some anxiety and high heart rate but then again that’s me in general anyway :bored:
No other issues as yet so hoping the next few days post vaccine will be ok.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice. I had the Pfizer jab - I’m in Australia- about 10 hours ago now. Sugars a bit high tonight but they are often that way anyway so can’t really blame the vaccine as it could just be me having a high sugar day. Still have some anxiety and high heart rate but then again that’s me in general anyway :bored:
No other issues as yet so hoping the next few days post vaccine will be ok.
Yeah, the main advice I'd give is to keep a closer eye on your levels than you normally would and if you spot anything atypical that'll help you get ahead of things.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I wouldn't even say it's related to how long you've had diabetes i'me 62 and had it for 46 yrs and I was fine , I'de say it's just luck of the draw . hope you are fine .

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't even say it's related to how long you've had diabetes i'me 62 and had it for 46 yrs and I was fine , I'de say it's just luck of the draw . hope you are fine .
Oh yeah it’s definitely not a direct correlation. Just the people who have experienced symptoms (and reported them on this forum) have tended to be from this group. And that observation is severely limited by not knowing the demographics users of this site are in, and how that compares to the general diabetic population.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fully vaccinated with 2 Pfizer jabs. First no issues apart from a slightly sore arm. The second was a real stab (felt like he wanted to inject me all the way through my arm) so a very sore arm for a few days and I felt a bit ropey - but no worse than a flu jab. I also had a really heavy period following it which might be too much information but apparently is a side effect they are seeing and its to do with the immune system and hormones, so nothing to worry about.

My neighbour was hospitalised and ventilated in an induced coma with covid so I've seen the effect it can have which meant the vaccine was an absolutely definite for me.