Low carbing, good BS, keytones ++

s230787

Hi wondering if anybody can help me.

I am type 1, my blood sugars are fine between 4-7mmol, I've not had one today in double figures. I am following a low carb diet and have had about 40gs of carbs today. out of interest I have just done a keytones strip and the results are coming out at ++ 2 (a purpley colour)

I know my body will be using the fat stores in my body to power itself, but having looked online I can't find an explanation as to whether this is good or bad, should I be worried about the high level? Last time I had high keytones I ended up in hospital for 3 days! I don't want that again!

s230787

Managed to get the keytones down to 0 last night after drinking lots of water, but there back again now ++ again. drinking lots again to help get rid, I also have this terrible stomach cramping and feel sick.

Feel shocking, dont think this low carb diet is for me.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm not an expert on low carbing at all and I assume one our our low carbers here on the forum will be able to give you good advice.

However, coming at this from a common sense perspective, if the diet you are following is making you feel awful then surely it is better to change it?

As far as I know, 40g of carbs is really pretty low and maybe it just doesn't suit you. Personally, I would increase the level of carbs and keep testing..no diet should make you feel like this.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
s230787 said:
Managed to get the keytones down to 0 last night after drinking lots of water, but there back again now ++ again. drinking lots again to help get rid, I also have this terrible stomach cramping and feel sick.

Feel shocking, dont think this low carb diet is for me.
If you are cutting carbs and also insulin it is possible that you don't have enough insulin to prevent ketones from 'rising' .Please keep checking on your ketone levels.
There is absolutely no difference between 'starvation' ketones (ie produced by low carbing) and those that cause DKA and it is not true that high glucose levels are absolutely necessary for DKA to develop. A non diabetic or someone with type 2 normally produces enough insulin to stop the production of ketones so they never get too high.. in T1, this isn't always the case particularly if you have a concurrent illness. .
The glucose a presentation in DKA varies widey from less than 180mg/dl to 1000mg/dl/ If a patient is not eating well prior to the onset of DKA the glucose may be lower than with a prior good food intake. Young people with good kidney function or pregnant patients with increased glomerular filtration rate and lowered glucose threshold can develop DKA with normal blood sugars.............. DKA may develop unusually rapidly during fasting or dehydration because these conditions increase the counter-regulatory hormone glucagon and increase the pace at which acidosis occurs when insulin is withdrawn
Principles of diabetes mellitus
Leonid Poretsky
see also:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17049&p=155199&hilit=euglycemic#p155199
and a discussion about ketones here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17726&hilit=euglycemic&start=15

s230787

Thanks for all your replies, I started to feel worse so I went to hospital, to be on the safe side, and I have gastritis. Been drinking plenty and taking some pills that the doctor gave me and I'm starting to feel better.

Sugars are still very good and keytones gone :D