Type 2 Steriods and monitoring over 4 weeks.

Jimmyd8473

Just been diagnosed with a raging infection in my left eye, which was badly damaged as a kid (now 51). Had the first 2 injections of steriods into eye and going back next week for another 2.

The doc has put me on 20mg of Prednisone for the week then down to 10mg for the next and then 5mg. I was on this steriod over 25 years ago for an autoimmune probelm and caused weight issues after using it.

I was diagnosed with type 2 end of 2020 and today was the first time I have been offered a monitoring kit as the hospital doc had advised me to monitor my blood sugar levels for 4 weeks while on the steriods.

I'l looking for advice on how often per day to check my levels, as I asked when I picked up the monitor and the nurse could not say. I'm on 4 x 500mg Metformin at present. Some links say 4 times a day and the I've only got enough test strips for twice a day at present.

If anyone can advise based on experience the number of times to test, that would be brill.

Thanks

Jim

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I’m in the same boat but on very high dose of steroids. I’m now being put onto insulin to help me whilst I’m on the steroids as my blood sugar has been getting up to 28 whilst I’ve been checking it at times. What I’ve been doing is checking when I wake up, then 2 hours after I’ve had breakfast, then 2 hours after I’ve had some lunch and finally 2 hours after I’ve had dinner. The steroids tend to increase the blood sugar throughout the day, then it tends to come down again by the evening.
I know it probably doesn’t help you but would be good to get peoples answers as I’ve never monitored my sugar levels before either as the doctors here don’t recommend it on T2 unless on something that can cause hypos.
I’m sad that I’ve spent years trying to get my weight down but one of the big side affects is weight gain. Good luck

Reactions: Jimmyd8473

Jimmyd8473

Hi chaoticliloj,

Thanks for your reply. I hate Prednisone, in my 20's I was an athlete and then an IBS illlness caused issues and I lost a lot of weight fast and that nearly killed me. They stuck me on Pred and it destroyed my whole metabolic system. Gained too much weight too quickly and never got back to my BMI.

I've only lost weight in the last week, but you don't want to go with no sleep and constant pain :(

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the 2 hour testing and see.

Losing weight will come, you just need the right combo. I'm scared of my weight and also the ever increasing health issues since lockdown, mainly the diabetes. I'm pushing myself to go out walking when I can for as long as I can, even after a heart attack and a stent (work stress over too many years).

I hope your steroid treatment is not a long one and you can get back to some normality.

Look after yourself and take care

Jim

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Many thanks Jim, hope your eye recovers quickly.

take care,
Jo

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jim
You can probably buy more strips for your meter quite cheaply, £10 for 50 is common, as most of us get addicted to testing and want to know quite frequently.
Although the steroids may have an overall raising effect you'll be surprised how much more the wrong food raises bg.
So a regime of low carb eating while on steroids may help offset any negative effects.

Jimmyd8473

Hi MrsA2,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on a mixed low carb diet. I need to be picky what I can take due to IBS and somtimes that even has some issues ( if i was cattle I would have been at the knackers yard by now :)). I'm going to see if my pharmacy tomorrow can get me the supplies, as they have been great in the past for getting me what I need at a good price. I'm going to keep testing even after the steroid treatment, as I go every 12 weeks or so for blood, but I would like to keep on to of it.

Thanks again

Jim

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
At the moment I am on 15 mg of prednisolone a day and have been taking preds for about 17 years used to be on a higher dose my weight went up to 18 stone at one point then became diabetic I tend to test with every meal if possible before and after meals but at least after meals and test for fasting blood sugar in the morning on waking.

Preds I have found can be a little unpredictable at times.

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi JohnEGreen,

That’s useful to know as I’m also new to all this. My doctor is putting me on Novorapid whilst I’m on the Preds to help, so I was just guessing when to test so hearing others recommendations is very helpful. I’m still so worried about putting on the weight I’ve managed to lose so far and go back to square one but I’m really hoping that I’m not going to be on the steroids for long term

thanks
Jo

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me the weight gain happened over a longish period being on them short term most likely won't be to damaging and the effects will soon disappear in a relatively short time once you ate no longer taking them. I found a low carb and lower calorie diet helped me manage my weight as I was and am on preds indefinitely.

But if on a short term course I would not be too concerned.