From cornplaster to remission

carilina

Hi guys

I registered here some time ago and made a few posts, but became ill and disappeared.

Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed Type 2 after a routine blood test at my new GP surgery registered 122 on the richter scale. I was immediately put on 4 x Metformin and 2 x Gliclazide. After a while I was also put on 1 x Linagliptin.

During those 10 miserable years I became disabled after I put a cornplaster on my toe (not realising that diabetics shouldn't use them) which caused a very severe bone infection and I was on 17 various antibiotics for 18 months - I ended up with Charcot Arthropathy and severe neuropathy and my consultant said that all the bones in my foot/ankle had fused together and were crumbling and I would eventually need to have my leg amputated. I have to wear an aircast 24/7.

Marvellous.

As you may imagine I became demoralised and pretty much resigned myself to this horrible, progressive disease. Being a driving instructor I had to take early retirement.

My diabetes continued to get worse until 2 years ago my new GP said it was time to go on insulin injections. I said "Nope" and told her that I'd read about Tom Watson MP and Jon Gaunt putting their diabetes into remission by doing the Keto diet and I was going to try it. She said it wasn't a good idea because of the state of my health, as I also had kidney problems.

I said I was going to do it anyway.

So, two years ago I stubbornly started the Keto diet having no more than 800 calories and 10g of carbs per day and within a week my morning finger prick tests went down from 17 to 6. That was motivation enough to keep going. I lost 3 stone in 3 months. Even more motivation. My Hba1c dropped from 72mmol to 44mmol within 4 months and I was taken off Gliclazide, then it dropped to 37mmol in the following 4 months.

I was starting to have regular hypo's so I came off the strict Keto diet and upped my carb intake to 50g.

I had my Annual Health Review last week and my Hba1c is still 37mmol and I was told that because I'd kept my Hba1c under control for two years, and was having hypo's, I could come off Linagliptin because I was now classed as being non-diabetic. I'm still on 4 x Metformin.

My question is this: Why the heck didn't my doctor tell me ten years ago that I could put my diabetes into remission by simply following a low-carb diet? If she had, I probably wouldn't have ended up with Charcot Foot, early retirement and a Motability car.

But at least I've still got my leg!

Another question: Even though I'm in the non-diabetic range I assume I will always be diabetic and will have to do low-carb forever otherwise I could easily tip back over into the diabetic range?

And another question: Does this now mean that my pancreas is starting to work properly again?
I'm under no illusion that the damage I've already done to my body whilst being in the diabetic range for so many years won't have reversed, but I'm hoping that any further damage can be slowed down. My GP said that there was now no cause for concern with my kidneys/liver etc.

Even my eyesight has improved - I'd been told I had background retinopathy, but now no longer need to wear glasses for tv or driving.

And I have to say - doing the Keto/low-carb diet was remarkably easy.

Thanks for reading x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys

I registered here some time ago and made a few posts, but became ill and disappeared.

Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed Type 2 after a routine blood test at my new GP surgery registered 122 on the richter scale. I was immediately put on 4 x Metformin and 2 x Gliclazide. After a while I was also put on 1 x Linagliptin.

During those 10 miserable years I became disabled after I put a cornplaster on my toe (not realising that diabetics shouldn't use them) which caused a very severe bone infection and I was on 17 various antibiotics for 18 months - I ended up with Charcot Arthropathy and severe neuropathy and my consultant said that all the bones in my foot/ankle had fused together and were crumbling and I would eventually need to have my leg amputated. I have to wear an aircast 24/7.

Marvellous.

As you may imagine I became demoralised and pretty much resigned myself to this horrible, progressive disease. Being a driving instructor I had to take early retirement.

My diabetes continued to get worse until 2 years ago my new GP said it was time to go on insulin injections. I said "Nope" and told her that I'd read about Tom Watson MP and Jon Gaunt putting their diabetes into remission by doing the Keto diet and I was going to try it. She said it wasn't a good idea because of the state of my health, as I also had kidney problems.

So, two years ago I stubbornly started the Keto diet having no more than 800 calories and 10g of carbs per day and within a week my morning finger prick tests went down from 17 to 6. That was motivation enough to keep going. I lost 3 stone in 3 months. Even more motivation. My Hba1c dropped from 72mmol to 44mmol within 4 months and I was taken off Gliclazide, then it dropped to 37mmol in the following 4 months.

I was starting to have regular hypo's so I came off the strict Keto diet and upped my carb intake to 50g.

I had my Annual Health Review last week and my Hba1c is still 37mmol and I was told that because I'd kept my Hba1c under control for two years, and was having hypo's, I could come off Linagliptin because I was now classed as being non-diabetic. I'm still on 4 x Metformin.

My question is this: Why the heck didn't my doctor tell me ten years ago that I could put my diabetes into remission by simply following a low-carb diet? If she had, I probably wouldn't have ended up with Charcot Foot, early retirement and a Motability car.

Another question: Even though I'm in the non-diabetic range I assume I will always be diabetic and will have to do low-carb forever otherwise I could easily tip back over into the diabetic range?

And another question: Does this now mean that my pancreas is starting to work properly again?
I'm under no illusion that the damage I've already done to my body whilst being in the diabetic range for so many years won't have reversed, but I'm hoping that any further damage can be slowed down. My GP said that there was now no cause for concern with my kidneys/liver etc.

Even my eyesight has improved - I'd been told I had background retinopathy, but now no longer need to wear glasses for tv or driving.

Thanks for reading x
What amazing account of your epic journey from despair to triumph. Hugely inspirational read. Congratulations.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi guys

Marvellous.

Thanks for reading x

Absolutely amazing work from you, congrats and it’s great to see you are now doing so well. I read somewhere that doctors don’t approve of the low carb diet or trial it because most people can’t sustain it for the remainder of their lives and don’t get all the nutrients they should have from an all rounder way of eating. That’s why they swear by the eat well plate, it has everything you need for the day, but for a diabetic it’s everything that doesn’t help keep blood sugars in range. They must make a lot of money from diabetic medicine because if cutting carbs prolongs problems later on and reduces medication intake, you would think they would be in favour ‍♀️

Reactions: jjraak and carilina

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great work!
My dad had Charcot so I know what it's likeand you have my sympathy

As to remission... Yes, in my opinion you will always be diabetic, just as I am in remission I will always be diabetic. Change back to the old ways and it'll come hurtling back. I just need to eat fish and chips to watch my blood levels go very high and sustained... So it's not cured

Being marked as remission means yearly checks, retinopathy scans etc which is important as who knows long term effects. Like you I am a decade past my diagnosis and I hope there is nothing longer term damage wise but I want to keep it checked

As for pancreas working? No idea but I tend to think it's not worth the risk and given how my body can react, I tend to think it's never going to be perfect. Maybe you are the same?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

amazing inspirational account of how even what feels the most hopeless situation can be vastly improved.

Yes you need to maintain a lower carb way of eating as whatever went wrong the first time can go wrong again given the same stressors (imo). I consider myself diabetic for life but hopefully in remission/reversal rather than active and kept there by my actions.

Your pancreas may well have worked just fine all the time. In that it kept on pumping out the insulin at full speed. The problem is more likely that your insulin resistance in your cells etc was so great that no amount a human pancreas can produce would ever be enough. You have reduced that resistance and demand so much that your poor old pancreas can now cope again. In some cases it can become “exhausted” either temporarily or permanently though, so whilst recovery after many years exertion is usual/possible it’s not a guarantee. Sadly many drs assume it’s always the case that you’ve reached “permanently exhausted” without testing that fact or if it’s resistance reaching epic levels.

carilina

Absolutely amazing work from you, congrats and it’s great to see you are now doing so well. I read somewhere that doctors don’t approve of the low carb diet or trial it because most people can’t sustain it for the remainder of their lives and don’t get all the nutrients they should have from an all rounder way of eating. That’s why they swear by the eat well plate, it has everything you need for the day, but for a diabetic it’s everything that doesn’t help keep blood sugars in range. They must make a lot of money from diabetic medicine because if cutting carbs prolongs problems later on and reduces medication intake, you would think they would be in favour ‍♀️
Thank you Dudette.

May I ask what the 'eat well plate' is?

I make a home-made smoothie in the morning which (I hope) is loaded with nutrients - I make enough to keep me going all day. I also take a vitamin/mineral supplement just in case.

Since doing the Keto diet I have lost my appetite and don't crave any food at all, so I rely on these smoothies now.

Yes, I agree that keeping patients as diabetics is about money and not about our health.

smooth19.png

Reactions: jjraak and Dudette1

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a days food? Are you existing long term on a handful of smoothies a day? With no variations of nutrients? Where’s the protein? Are you still on 800 calories a day? Restricting calories is not part of keto. And if you’ve been doing it for a long time it will have slowed your metabolism down considerably, hence lack of hunger. Whilst you’ve got good results on weight and glucose control I’m a bit worried by this

Reactions: KK123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The “eatwell” plate is the U.K. National advised balance of nutrients. Typically shown as a plate divided into protein carbs and fats. It’s not at all helpful for type 2 due the huge amount of carbs and the poor messaging about fats. I hate displaying this so I have kept the image small but included it to make my point clearer

Attachments

• A0C0868D-B13D-453E-A68A-61CF1FE93346.jpeg
    A0C0868D-B13D-453E-A68A-61CF1FE93346.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: EllieM and Dudette1

carilina

Is this a days food? Are you existing long term on a handful of smoothies a day? With no variations of nutrients? Where’s the protein? Are you still on 800 calories a day? Restricting calories is not part of keto. And if you’ve been doing it for a long time it will have slowed your metabolism down considerably, hence lack of hunger. Whilst you’ve got good results on weight and glucose control I’m a bit worried by this
The protein comes from the flaxseed, hemp, almond milk - if you look at the screenshot I'm actually getting 20g of protein.

The smoothies were what I used to kick-start my Keto, and I was doing 800 calories per day (to lose weight) until my bg dropped and I started having hypo's (that took about 6 months)...so I upped my carb limit to 50g and also upped my calorie intake to 1200 to maintain my results as I didn't want to lose any more weight and didn't want my bg to drop any lower.

I usually have 2 eggs or cheese per day now, sometimes a plate of green veg but, yes, I don't have an appetite anymore - I eat things even when I'm not hungry only because I know I need them!

I also hate cooking for one. Smoothies are easy as is a plate of steamed veg. I think I do ok for nutrients. I don't eat meat - although have the occasional tin of mackrel fillets for omega3.

To be fair, I don't even know how to do Keto properly - I just thought I'd cut out carbs to lose weight and reduce my bg. I'm not so strict these days. I've lost a bit more weight but my bg has been stable for two years.

I'll keep doing this forever now to maintain my results and hold off any further disability. I still take finger prick readings several times a day to monitor what's going on.

I actually feel fine these days, and can even walk better with my poorly leg and don't need my walking stick anymore.

And I'm sure that's down to cutting the carbs.

Reactions: jjraak and Oldvatr

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The protein comes from the flaxseed, hemp, almond milk - if you look at the screenshot I'm actually getting 20g of protein.

The smoothies were what I used to kick-start my Keto, and I was doing 800 calories per day (to lose weight) until my bg dropped and I started having hypo's (that took about 6 months)...so I upped my carb limit to 50g and also upped my calorie intake to 1200 to maintain my results as I didn't want to lose any more weight and didn't want my bg to drop any lower.

I usually have 2 eggs or cheese per day now, sometimes a plate of green veg but, yes, I don't have an appetite anymore - I eat things even when I'm not hungry only because I know I need them!

I also hate cooking for one. Smoothies are easy as is a plate of steamed veg. I think I do ok for nutrients. I don't eat meat - although have the occasional tin of mackrel fillets for omega3.

To be fair, I don't even know how to do Keto properly - I just thought I'd cut out carbs to lose weight and reduce my bg. I'm not so strict these days. I've lost a bit more weight but my bg has been stable for two years.

I'll keep doing this forever now to maintain my results and hold off any further disability. I still take finger prick readings several times a day to monitor what's going on.

I actually feel fine these days, and can even walk better with my poorly leg and don't need my walking stick anymore.

1200 calories a day is bare minimum for females and probably a little too low for males, think 1500 is recommended. But of course depends on a lot of other factors depending on height, current weight, sex etc...

I'd just be wary on long term sustainability but congratulations on your results

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even the Minnesota Starvation Experiment had almost 1,560 for males
Nearer 2,500 is the official "recommended' level.
Yes agreed, I meant recommended bare minimum. It was kind of inferred but admitted not stated as such. Language and me don't always align! :)

The Fast 800 and similar crash diets under supervision aren't something I think I could personally go for but they work for some, but diabetes T2 management needs a lifelong change, it does take some getting used to

@carilina 10 years ago and even now, doctors wouldn't in general have said low carb as it's not the NHS guidance. It takes a long time for recommendations to change and its forums like these and is actively training our doctors to help them see there are other ways to address T2 and that it isn't as progressive as they (and I have been told myself I will 100% end up on insulin) think it is. Eat well and "healthy carbs" were the advice, it just in many (most) cases didn't work

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

20g of protein a day is probably less than half what you need. It should be in the realm of 0.75g per kilo up to 1.5g per kilo. So best rough estimate would be 1g per kilo. I’m sure you don’t weigh 20kg. Protein is absolutely essential and many have found their well being is much improved when they eat sufficient protein. Lots more mackerel for you perhaps. Theres some relate info and links here about protein https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=protein+&search=&st=any

800 calorie diets are usually 8-12 weeks to avoid metabolism damage. Not 6 months. 1200 calories is simply not enough for many people at all. You could have kept carbs down but increased protein and fats and maintained weight and bgl.
Sorry but I agree you don’t seem to fully understand keto (as the calorie counting/lack of protein shows). Have a read of this for some key points https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

I hear you loud and clear about hassle and cooking and even lack of hunger. But bodies need real solid food not just liquids (if nothing else fibre is lost that way).

Whilst you’ve got great results so far the last thing you want is to cause new issues by not fuelling your body well over a prolonged period.

carilina

20g of protein a day is probably less than half what you need. It should be in the realm of 0.75g per kilo up to 1.5g per kilo. So best rough estimate would be 1g per kilo. I’m sure you don’t weigh 20kg. Protein is absolutely essential and many have found their well being is much improved when they eat sufficient protein. Lots more mackerel for you perhaps. Theres some relate info and links here about protein https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=protein+&search=&st=any

800 calorie diets are usually 8-12 weeks to avoid metabolism damage. Not 6 months. 1200 calories is simply not enough for many people at all. You could have kept carbs down but increased protein and fats and maintained weight and bgl.
Sorry but I agree you don’t seem to fully understand keto (as the calorie counting/lack of protein shows). Have a read of this for some key points https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

I hear you loud and clear about hassle and cooking and even lack of hunger. But bodies need real solid food not just liquids (if nothing else fibre is lost that way).

Whilst you’ve got great results so far the last thing you want is to cause new issues by not fuelling your body well over a prolonged period.
Many thanks for the links HSSS.

When I first told my doctor I wanted to try the Keto diet to avoid going on insulin injections, she said I needed to do 800 calories and limit protein - she said protein converts into sugar. Maybe it's because being disabled I was inactive and also had kidney problems? Given that appointment times with the doctor are only 7 minutes I couldn't get much info out of her. Because of lockdowns I have only seen her once in 18 months.

I was left to my own devices.

See, I didn't even know 800 calorie diets are usually 8-12 weeks either!

I'll have a read through the links...many thanks!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for the links HSSS.

When I first told my doctor I wanted to try the Keto diet to avoid going on insulin injections, she said I needed to do 800 calories and limit protein - she said protein converts into sugar. Maybe it's because being disabled I was inactive and also had kidney problems? Given that appointment times with the doctor are only 7 minutes I couldn't get much info out of her. Because of lockdowns I have only seen her once in 18 months.

I was left to my own devices.

See, I didn't even know 800 calorie diets are usually 8-12 weeks either!

I'll have a read through the links...many thanks!
Your dr is confusing keto with the Newcastle studies done by dr Taylor, and then mixing them in together. Which quite frankly is a recipe for starvation. 2 yrs of restricted calories and liquids is why you’ve lost your appetite imo. Keto has nothing whatsoever to do with physical activity. Obviously it’s an advantage if you can be active but it’s not part of the program.

Kidneys might be an issue with excessive protein but that’s obviously not your problem ,and if kidneys are now normal you could consider gradually increasing protein whilst checking they do not deteriorate again. It’s quite likely it was the excessive glucose levels that caused the problems and without that they will be fine. But do be safe and check as you go.

Taylor’s is a very low calorie protocol and of limited duration. And by it’s very nature is low carb due to the overall calorie restriction. Some people do find it useful as a kick start. For a few weeks. A few whose diabetes is solely caused by excess weight do gain some longer term results on this alone. Most need more than this long term. It still needs a follow up plan to maintain the gains made, both weight and blood glucose wise. This is often low carb/keto. Even if calories remain the focus it should be much closer to normal levels than 800cals.

I’ve never needed to recover metabolism from your very low long term level. And I’m no exercise expert. If activity is physically limited it does present challenges. Can you do seated activities? Any at all? Muscle building, weight based activities are usually best not cardio. A slow increase of proteins without increasing carbs and a return to at least one real meal a day would be a start. Add in whatever extra movement and muscle building you are able to. Even bicep curls of tin cans, raising and lowering into a chair or steps on the staircase could help if your base is zero.

Reactions: jjraak and danziger

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My ongoing way of eating is two meals a day - I have two small but 'proper' meals - even having meat and veges for breakfast.
I then eat 12 hours later meat, fish vegs and a couple of times a week I have a dessert - maximum of 40gm of carbs a day, but no restriction on calories.
I am one of the few people in my home circle who seems to have avoided putting on weight during lockdown.
Staying at a very low calorie level for an extended period would cause my metabolism to slow right down.

Reactions: jjraak

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi guys

Marvellous.

Thanks for reading x
Fantastic. My sister had a below the knee amputation 3 weeks ago - so very well done. I am going to b so healthy now and your story should encourage everyone. X.