Fasting blood sugar results so disappointing

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone
I got diagnosed with diabetes so starting this Monday, I’ve changed my diet…no carbs and using my peloton almost daily. This is my second day this week of fasting, in fact my 16 hour fast is due to finish in an hour. I decided to test my bloods and it was 7.9, wow so high even after 16 hours of overnight fasting. Last meal at 7pm last night. Does the morning fast levels take a long time to come down? Am I doing something wrong? The only things I’ve consumed since I woke up is a litre of water and green tea
Thanks for reading

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone
I got diagnosed with diabetes so starting this Monday, I’ve changed my diet…no carbs and using my peloton almost daily. This is my second day this week of fasting, in fact my 16 hour fast is due to finish in an hour. I decided to test my bloods and it was 7.9, wow so high even after 16 hours of overnight fasting. Last meal at 7pm last night. Does the morning fast levels take a long time to come down? Am I doing something wrong? The only things I’ve consumed since I woke up is a litre of water and green tea
Thanks for reading
Morning levels are notorious at taking longer to come down. Often due to something called dawn phenomenon where liver dumps glucose ready for you to start the day

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning levels are notorious at taking longer to come down. Often due to something called dawn phenomenon where liver dumps glucose ready for you to start the day

Phew thank you for replying. Was thinking I was doing something terribly long that I wasn’t aware of.
Will that get better with weight loss and a healthier lifestyle?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew thank you for replying. Was thinking I was doing something terribly long that I wasn’t aware of.
Never guaranteed but many on the forums have had improvement, some better than others so hopefully

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brill thank you
No worries. Hopefully you'll see improvement. I did, but we are all unique and how your overall health iimproves with weight loss and overall lowering of levels is a good aim. Fasting levels often are the last to lower, so good luck

Robbie64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My morning readings are the worst for the reason mentioned above, the dawn phenomenon. On a morning my blood sugar levels are 7.5 or so. However during the rest of the day they are lower. I've read in a few posts here that the morning level can sometimes take a while to come down even when the readings for the rest of the day are fine. I've taken my level in the middle of the night and it is fine. A few hours later and it has spiked even without me eating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plus your body is probably taking the opportunity to dump out the stored glucose in muscles etc that has stored up over the years.
As one of the Two Keto Dudes used to say.." my body is running on that doughnut from 10 years ago".

Reactions: Iona May

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha quote that made me chuckle and cheered me up
Thank you for the information

Jo123

I've never ever been overweight, always exercised and was only prediabetic in 2009 and have had hba1c's under 35 for 12 years but my fasting bg's are still often in the prediabetic range!

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never ever been overweight, always exercised and was only prediabetic in 2009 and have had hba1c's under 35 for 12 years but my fasting bg's are still often in the prediabetic range!

thanks for sharing your experience, can I ask, do you take any meds?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Morning everyone
Thanks for reading

Please realise that there is no quick fix.
You seem to be going about it the right way, but it is very early days.
My lame advice for the newly diagnosed is:

(1) DON'T PANIC!!!

(2) You will probably rush around for the first 6 months trying loads of different things you have read or heard about. It will take a while for all the information to sink in and for you to learn what suits your body. Don't beat yourself up if you try something that doesn't work, or seems silly in hindsight. Most of us have done much the same before we settled into long term strategies.

It took a long time for you to develop the symptoms.
It will take a while to control them.
Just keep plugging away.
You look to have made a good start.

Reactions: EllieM

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please realise that there is no quick fix.
You seem to be going about it the right way, but it is very early days.
My lame advice for the newly diagnosed is:

(1) DON'T PANIC!!!

(2) You will probably rush around for the first 6 months trying loads of different things you have read or heard about. It will take a while for all the information to sink in and for you to learn what suits your body. Don't beat yourself up if you try something that doesn't work, or seems silly in hindsight. Most of us have done much the same before we settled into long term strategies.

It took a long time for you to develop the symptoms.
It will take a while to control them.
Just keep plugging away.
You look to have made a good start.

Thank you for the advise especially the first one! Yep definitely in the panic stage at the moment, hoping my anxieties will decrease as I get better informed and make lifestyle changes that don’t just last few weeks/ months and more forever.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the advise especially the first one! Yep definitely in the panic stage at the moment, hoping my anxieties will decrease as I get better informed and make lifestyle changes that don’t just last few weeks/ months and more forever.
You sound like you're on the right track: just keep at it and you should see things go your way.

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat at 12 hour intervals to keep my BG levels steady. Not eating first thing just results in ever higher levels as my liver tries to be helpful.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
We are still all learning. For someone exercising, I would say split the time between resistance and and cardio, with a bias towards muscle building resistance. Exercise will increase the requirements for glycogen, so you may be also getting glucose in your system from your liver to fuel the workouts.

I think there are differing levels of clearance, that can either be static if nothing else changes or influenced by diet, food timing and exercise. For some time I was getting fbg in the 5's, whilst doing alot of cardio, a little resistance exercise and eating low carb / keto. Switching to more resistance (and maybe less veg) has kept me in the 4's and low post prandial. This may be confounded as I have tried lots of things, but heavy resistance has definitely improved post prandial numbers.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Some of us have a tendency to get extra glucose from our liver to help with the energy depletion whilst exercising, because you are new to this, as with diet you will have to find a balance between the amount of exercise you can tolerate without having to carb up, until you are in ketosis for a few weeks will it be evident.

Everything needs to be a balance, designed by you and put into practice what does work for you.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us have a tendency to get extra glucose from our liver to help with the energy depletion whilst exercising, because you are new to this, as with diet you will have to find a balance between the amount of exercise you can tolerate without having to carb up, until you are in ketosis for a few weeks will it be evident.

Everything needs to be a balance, designed by you and put into practice what does work for you.

thank you, what is ketosis please? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? I thought ketosis was a bad thing

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are still all learning. For someone exercising, I would say split the time between resistance and and cardio, with a bias towards muscle building resistance. Exercise will increase the requirements for glycogen, so you may be also getting glucose in your system from your liver to fuel the workouts.

I think there are differing levels of clearance, that can either be static if nothing else changes or influenced by diet, food timing and exercise. For some time I was getting fbg in the 5's, whilst doing alot of cardio, a little resistance exercise and eating low carb / keto. Switching to more resistance (and maybe less veg) has kept me in the 4's and low post prandial. This may be confounded as I have tried lots of things, but heavy resistance has definitely improved post prandial numbers.

Oh I’ll definitely have to try some resistance training. Never tried it before, but I’ll have a look on the peloton app thank you

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ketosis is when your body is NOT reliant on carbs for your energy levels.
It will be beneficial for your blood glucose levels. You will be confused with ketoacidosis.