New to type 1

Wadeybunch

Hi everyone please can you help us , my husband has recently reconnected with his daughter who is 14 and has been diagnosed with type 1 for six years . Can you please recommend any course/books that we could use to help us understand the minefield that is type one diabetes and what she has to live and go through on a daily basis .
Kind regards
Cheryl

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recommend the learning zone on Diabetes UK
I also recommend not thinking about it as “what she has to go through” but more about how she can live a full and adventurous life like others with Type 1 diabetes such as sportsmen like Henry Slade, pop stars like Este Haim, politicians like Theresa May, ...

Wadeybunch

Thank you I’ll get on and have a look , obviously this is all very new to us so hope I didn’t cause offence with my wording x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I’ll get on and have a look , obviously this is all very new to us so hope I didn’t cause offence with my wording x

Hi there, I'm sure you didn't. You'll find that in the main we are a positive bunch and view type 1 diabetes not as an illness but a condition that can be managed whilst living a normal life like everyone else. I don't mean to make it sound easy, it's not but outside of the diabetes we're ordinary people and what your daughter may 'go through' on a daily basis is likely to be as different to other type 1s as a non diabetic compared with another non diabetic. Welcome! x

Reactions: Wadeybunch

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ill always recommend Adam Brown's Bright Spots and Landmines written by a type 1.
She has had it since she was 8 though so let her tell you what its like as she is likely to be a pro by now! I am sure that she'll appreciate the effort he is making to understand her.

Reactions: Wadeybunch

Wadeybunch

Ill always recommend Adam Brown's Bright Spots and Landmines written by a type 1.
She has had it since she was 8 though so let her tell you what its like as she is likely to be a pro by now! I am sure that she'll appreciate the effort he is making to understand her.

Thank you xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @Wadeybunch
I would recommend the Digibete app -- which is aimed at young people with type 1 and their families and is approved by the NHS
here is the link https://www.digibete.org/