scurvy and carnivorous (no fruits keto diet)/LC and dental health

Drfarxan

i have gum recession in some of my teeth,it started before i was diagnosed with type 2 diab. Understandably i don't want it to get worse,since starting a LCHF diet i stayed away from fruits for a year now.
My gums get inflammed sometimes but i don't use sugar anymore and have a normal dental hygiene routine. It crossed my mind that lack of vitamin c might make it worse since for a year it has been meat,butter,veggies?,cream,nuts and tea only for me(roughly).
I have seen videos from Dr Paul Mason talking about carnivore diet and scurvy,also a video from baker but i would like to know how you guys who practice it have to say.

So how is the LCHF/keto diet/carnivore diet affecting your dental health? how do you deal with low vitamin c? Are you worried about scurvy?

PS: On the Joe Rogan broadcast Dr Jordan Petterson said after he went carnivore for a month his gum disease got better which suprised him since he was told they were never suppose to "reverse"

Last edited:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I had very bad gum disease, but not sine I switched to a very low carb diet 8 years ago. In my opinion, don’t worry about sugar, just the carbs (sugar is a carb). I do take a multi vitamin pill each day through the winter months.

Reactions: zand and LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My gums and overall dental health has significantly improved since cutting out the sugar and processed foods.

Reactions: Geordie_P

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no knowledge about LCHF diet and dental health.

However, I have been told that high blood sugars can affect dental health. When our levels are high our bodies try to flush out the excess sugar through every way possible. This is why frequent peeing is a common symptom. I experienced sugary tears.
Saliva is another route for the excess glucose. And sweet saliva leads to tooth decay. My dental hygienist told me that she has advised some patients get a test for diabetes based on their teeth.

So low blood sugars are good for dental health.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I lost a tooth at the height of Type 2, literally just crumbled away.

I know what is said in carnivore circles. I accept that long term stricter carnivore does not cause scurvy. I still have half a lemon or lime (and the occasional tangerine).

I don't do dogma, as far as I know lemons and limes have not been as adulterated as the other fruit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how is the LCHF/keto diet/carnivore diet affecting your dental health? how do you deal with low vitamin c? Are you worried about scurvy?
My teeth have got better and gum disease has gone on a virtually sugar (carb) free diet
Meat contains vit C so I don't worry about it although I do sometimes have raspberries and strawberries with cream as a treat dessert.
Not worried about scurvy as 3 years worth of eating this way has shown its unlikely,

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My gums are healthy when I stick to a low carb diet. When I don't they aren't. Also I have noticed that my dental hygienist (who is unaware that I low carb) always remarks on how well I am cleaning my teeth when I follow LCHF, and complains that I am not doing so well when I lapse from LCHF, even though I am cleaning them in exactly the same way and for the same amount of time.

Reactions: Geordie_P

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Broccoli is high in vitamin C, and it has negligible effect on blood sugar- load up on good green veg!

Jo123

I low carb probably less strictly than some, I'm under 90 a day but that includes lots of green veg and salad vegetables, with occasional berries.
My teeth and gums are excellent according to my dentist, she says the low carb is good for teeth. I only get warned about my red wine as it's acidic which can erode enamel.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
it isn't just fruit which contains vitamin , many veggies do too (even potatoes which of course we avoid).
Meat also contains some vitamin C, as was discovered when somebody actually tested for it rather than assuming it didn't!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Hotpepper20000

Scurvy was a problem in history when sailors where at sea, because the meat they ate was not fresh. For long trips meat had to be preserved in salt Barrels.
In modern days we have access to fresh meat year round and it has enough vitamin C.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My teeth are like the stars - they only come out at night. I lost most of my teeth while still eating Eatwell, but as a diabetic, it was not unexpected. I have not been back to the dentist since taking up LCHF and my gingivitis has gone completely,

As Bulkbiker says, meat contains vitamin C and the offal bits contain the most. So liver, kidneys, lights, sweetbreads - these are good for vit C. I am eating more healthy foods than when eating Eatwell and processed factory muck, but I too do not eat fruit anymore except as an occasional treat. However, since having a touch of anemia, I did take a Vit C supplement while I was taking folate and iron tablets, and my bloods have recovered.

Reactions: zand

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My teeth are like the stars - they only come out at night made me laugh oldvatr :)

Reactions: zand