Should I Do a food cupboard clear out

Sandy-55

Will I ever get back to a “normal diet “? Probably not
When I was first diagnosed as prediabetic I bought loads of pasta rice all whole meal etc and a lot sauces as directed by the district nurse ….since I’m now type2 and on a low carb diet what do I do with the pasta and sauces etc will I be able to incorporate them into my diet or shall I give them to the food bank ….it will free up my cupboard for nuts nuts and more nuts !!

Reactions: Dandelade and coby

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I'd get rid of them. You're unlikely to want them and to have them around would be a temptation to use them. Assuming you can afford to give them away of course.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I can't answer what is right for you,
But I wanted to thank you for your generosity of thinking of giving away your unwanted food to foodbanks.
It is too easy to put it in the bin and waste it.

Thank you.

Sandy-55

You’re probably right… I’m only cooking for myself so they would get wasted, not sure if I’m ready to part from the choccie even though I haven’t touched it since being on a low carb diet I guess it’s a comfort thing knowing it’s there.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yep, donate them. Unless you have family members that can eat carbs. I have family members that eat carbs. I only get one little tiny shelf in the fridge. It’s not fair, I should demand equal shelf space… but they don’t like sweets , so at least I’m not surrounded by chocolate

Sandy-55

Sorry I can't answer what is right for you,
But I wanted to thank you for your generosity of thinking of giving away your unwanted food to foodbanks.
It is too easy to put it in the bin and waste it.

Thank you.[/
I don’t like wasting food though I have done those pesky fruit flies have been having a field day on my veggies and fruit I can’t fit them in the fridge

Reactions: In Response

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
, not sure if I’m ready to part from the choccie even though I haven’t touched it since being on a low carb diet I guess it’s a comfort thing knowing it’s there.

If it’s milk chocolate, I would give it away! Convert to dark chocolate if you think you can restrict yourself to one or two squares at a time. If you start at maybe 70% and gradually increase the percentage you’ll probably find your tastes change now you’re on low carb (the higher the percentage the lower the carbs). I’ve even been know to eat 100% :wideyed: Hotel Chocolat buttons now!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I would give it all away before it hits best before dates. Then put some low carb treats in the new space ready for those ' need something now' moments.

Jo123

I keep a few carby bits for family members visiting and I sometimes make something for my grown up kids. And a packet of nice biscuits to offer visitors with a cup of tea.
I'm never ever tempted now.

Sandy-55

If it’s milk chocolate, I would give it away! Convert to dark chocolate if you think you can restrict yourself to one or two squares at a time. If you start at maybe 70% and gradually increase the percentage you’ll probably find your tastes change now you’re on low carb (the higher the percentage the lower the carbs). I’ve even been know to eat 100% :wideyed: Hotel Chocolat buttons now!

the only time I’ve had dark chocolate was at Christmas time when the after eight mints come out . If I have the urge I’ll give dark chocolate a go

Reactions: Rachox

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I keep a few carby bits for family members visiting and I sometimes make something for my grown up kids. And a packet of nice biscuits to offer visitors with a cup of tea.
I'm never ever tempted now.
I wasn't for the first 5 years either!

Lisa69free

I'm not type 2 so unsure but personally I would keep the wholemeal pasta. Fibre is great and if you weigh it, you know how much you are having. How are you coping without all the carbs? Are you replacing all carbs? Obviously not veg, beans and pulses

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not type 2 so unsure but personally I would keep the wholemeal pasta. Fibre is great and if you weigh it, you know how much you are having. How are you coping without all the carbs? Are you replacing all carbs? Obviously not veg, beans and pulses
@Sandy-55 is controlling her type 2 with a low carb diet, so along with us other low carbers she’ll want to avoid pasta. I for one don’t eat pasta but get my fibre from seeds and vegetables.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
You’re probably right… I’m only cooking for myself so they would get wasted, not sure if I’m ready to part from the choccie even though I haven’t touched it since being on a low carb diet I guess it’s a comfort thing knowing it’s there.
But you can still have deliciously chocolaty Lindt 85% in? I have one square (they are large squares) and break into several pieces to get my chocolate fix when needed, and it's good for you too :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you can still have deliciously chocolaty Lindt 85% in? I have one square (they are large squares) and break into several pieces to get my chocolate fix when needed, and it's good for you too :)

I do too but dropped down to the 75% one, one large square. I love the mint one and I can seriously say that one square is all you need, not too bitter, very creamy tasting with a hint of mint flavour....mmmmmmmm....sorry, where was I? :)

Sandy-55

Thank you to all the replies the mint choc sounds lovely but strangely enough I haven’t had craving for chocolates which surprises me as I was a secret choco holic …guess my secrets out now!
As to the pasta ….we’ll what’s the point it being in my cupboard if I can’t eat it it may as well get put to good use somewhere else

Sandy-55

It’s not easy but knowing the weight is coming off spurs me on and knowing I could get myself into remission, I’m still learning about carbs but thanks to the lovely people on this site with their knowledge and recipes it’s a big help

Reactions: coby and EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
may as well get put to good use somewhere else
Just wait for the good feeling as you have to pass on all your wardrobe of clothes that are too big! Now that's a good feeling , although my hubby doesn't seem to believe me that I need to replace everything! (I do, even my knickers fell down )

Reactions: KK123

Iona May

Ive just started clearing mine out today, I'm a new T2 and i'm sick of having it in the house. Everything I am not going to eat has gone, pasta, rice, lentils, granola, porridge etc etc. Its actually disgusting how much food I have in the cupboards and made me ashamed at the waste. I have contacted the local food bank and they are really happy to take my carbs off me, im dropping them off on Thursday. Good luck with your sorting.

Reactions: Redshank and MrsA2