newby

jayney

i have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, i dont have a clue on the foods i should have and shouldnt have. I have increased fruit and veg, cut right down on carbs eg bread,pots and i dont eat sweets, biscuits, cakes, sugar and i stick to 3 set meals a day, any advice on this.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi jayney, you are already on the right track. Have a read of the information I posted you on your other thread. Then have a look at the diabetes low carb forum which will give you lots of low carb ideas. And again, ask questions if you want to know something in particular. There are several members who could provide you with some very good recipes.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Jayney

Daisy has given you good advice but it sounds like you have started off just fine to me by cutting down your carbs, pasta, rice etc.
There are many differing opinions here on how much carbohydrates are acceptable, some prefer to go "low carb" which can often be very low indeed and some of us prefer to just reduce our amounts, not exclude these things from our diets.

Not sure if your doc has given you a meter for self testing, they often don't but if you can manage to buy one, it is the best way to find out how different foods affect you personally.

Main thing is not to panic, you're doing all the right things. :)

jayney

Hi no the doc did not give me one, but will buy one myself although i dont even know what the sugar levels should be.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi jayney - if you read the information I posted, the levels you should aim for are listed there. These are the NICE recommended guidelines, and lower than these if you can is better.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Janey, welcome, if you want more details of the sort of food to eat when cutting back your carbs, this is a good example of one way of doing it:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

alliebee

Hi there Janey, welcome to the site,
There is so much information on here, and the search box is helpful too,
Any questions you may have will be answered by some of the great friendly people on here.

It is a bit daunting at first, but you will do fine

Take care
Alison x :D

Grazer

Hi janey, and welcome. Yeah, seems really daunting but it does get easier. Daisy's post is a really good starter, so start there then ask questions and you'll always find someone here with an answer; sometimes, we're even right! Just remember you won't necessarily get your sugar levels down to ideal levels to start with. You need to let your body settle in to your diet. But you'll get there. Diabetes can be nasty, but if you commit to doing the right things you can get on top of it.
Good luck and welcome again

jayney

Thanx to everyone thats commented, found some things that makes sense although im not sure about fruit, muller lite yogurts and sweetners any ideas. Thanx

Grazer

Most sweeteners are ok. I use canderel, but there's a wide range you can choose from. Some fruit is good, but all have some carbs (all of which turn to sugar in our blood) so don't go mad. Bananas have more carbs than most and lots of us avoid them. Berries are the most carb friendly on the whole.

jayney

hi everyone bit worried tonight done my test before dinner results were 6.2, i had dinner done another test and the results were 9.0 dinner was boiled bacon. small spoon of mash green beans and carrots i also had today a muller light yogurt, 2x ryvitas with philidelfia and an apple, my breakfast was a bowl of fruit and fibre, where have i gone wrong.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You haven't done too badly as the guidelines are 8.5 two hours after food. By testing you will find out what makes you go higher. I'd blame the mash and the carrots, you would have been better with a boiled new potato instead of the mash.

jayney

thankyou Denise i was worried probably too worried but i suffer from a number of things so this just tops it thanx

jayney

Trying to understand all the jargon but how do you get your hba1c readings i think thats what its called dont even know what it is and do you get your cholesteral tests done at the doctors.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi newby, it is all a bit overwhelming and confusing in the first few months. If they are not scaring you with possible complications, its blinding you with numbers!

Your GP will sort out the Hbac1 test - it usually consists of a urine and blood test and an annual eye test. When I was disagnosed I was initially put on 3 month checks which then dropped down to once every six months and then once a year.

I was like you when diagnosed, cut everything bad out and worried about everything I ate and my sugars. I don't test every day as I am no longer on medication which gives me hypos. I go by my blood test results, the most recent was 7.1. My doc was very happy with this, although it has been lower in the past.

Its very easy for me to say, but I think its about finding the right balance between living well and being healthy. I would echo what others have said about researching different ways of eating to help your diabetes and testing them out. I have gone from a GI approach - little and often, low sugar, low fat - to the swedish diet which is low carb/high fat. It is about what works for you.

Hope this helps and good luck.

All the best
Jane

Grazer

Jayney, the 6.5 was great. Your earlier high of 9 would almost certainly be down to the mash - worst way to have potatoes I find as it releases the starches. A couple of small boiled NEW potatos are better. The tests you do measure your blood sugars at the time. The HbA1C looks at the average of your sugars over the previous few months. The test will be done at the doctors or a clinic at a hospital. It's a simple blood test. They'll probably check your cholesterol at the same time. Just keep checking how different foods affect you 2 hours after eating and cutting out the bad ones. Your doing great with readings at 6.5! :thumbup:

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
jayney said:
hi everyone bit worried tonight done my test before dinner results were 6.2, i had dinner done another test and the results were 9.0 dinner was boiled bacon. small spoon of mash green beans and carrots i also had today a muller light yogurt, 2x ryvitas with philidelfia and an apple, my breakfast was a bowl of fruit and fibre, where have i gone wrong.
As diabetics our bodies dont really like carbs, and although what youve ate seems healthy just check out the carbs in your yougurt, ryvitas and you fruit and fibre breakfast. ( it should be no more than 5grms of carbs per 100 grams) Also some of us cant eat much fruit, so that could be affecting your BG levels. like volorg I'm now on a LCHF diet, and it really is working for me, but none of us or exactly the same, it really is trial and error for the first few months, and if you can test, test, test, :thumbup: