Should I Do a food cupboard clear out

Sandy-55

Ive just started clearing mine out today, I'm a new T2 and i'm sick of having it in the house. Everything I am not going to eat has gone, pasta, rice, lentils, granola, porridge etc etc. Its actually disgusting how much food I have in the cupboards and made me ashamed at the waste. I have contacted the local food bank and they are really happy to take my carbs off me, im dropping them off on Thursday. Good luck with your sorting.

Well done you! It’s amazing what we accumulate in the kitchen ……ahhh but it’s not waste really cos it’s going to a good cause.
I thought lentils was in the good food to have but I’m no expert…….. I’m unsure of the dolmo sauces and quinoa and also couscous which are sat on the side at the moment awaiting their fate

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought lentils was in the good food to have but I’m no expert…….. I’m unsure of the dolmo sauces and quinoa and also couscous which are sat on the side at the moment awaiting their fate
Dump them all and have a nice steak!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t had a steak for years I’m not a veggie just not a big meat eater thou I did homemade burgers sandwiched between 2 mushrooms thoroughly enjoyed them-so you never know I might convert
Would do your blood sugar no end of good..

Iona May

Well done you! It’s amazing what we accumulate in the kitchen ……ahhh but it’s not waste really cos it’s going to a good cause.

I just dont want the carbs in the lentils when I am trying to stick to 30-50g carbs a day. I only use them to bulk up mince as I thought it was healthier that way but deffo not for T2. I would get rid of the sauces, if you are getting rid of the pasta and I have got rid of the couscous but kept the quinoa but only because I love to make a tabbouleh type salad with it. Again im new to this so my advice may not be 100% accurate!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Just wait for the good feeling as you have to pass on all your wardrobe of clothes that are too big! Now that's a good feeling , although my hubby doesn't seem to believe me that I need to replace everything! (I do, even my knickers fell down )
Well done for losing so much weight

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it will free up my cupboard for nuts nuts and more nuts
Depending on how low carb you want / need to go, you may need to ration the nuts. In the beginning I made the mistake of thinking nuts, especially walnuts, were "carb free" foods. No such thing! I was filling myself up at the end of my meals with walnuts and wondering why my bg was going so high. Even my favourite almonds, one of the lowest carb nuts, "cost" 9g carbs per 100g. Nowadays I ration myself to 10g almonds at a time (9-10 small nuts). NB cashews and peanuts are not even true nuts, rather pulses, and are quite beyond my budget.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a screen shot from Diet Doctor. I was surprised to see that quinoa is even more carb heavy than baked beans. Personally, I am trying to keep under 30g carbs daily, so I avoid anything rating more than 3g carbs per 100g (except for almonds and 100% dark chocolate). Many can have great success while consuming more.

Sadly, just because a food is "good" doesn't mean it is good for diabetics, just as peanuts may be good for many, but deadly for those with a peanut allergy.
upload_2021-8-12_13-43-56.png
upload_2021-8-12_13-43-56.png

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I cleared all mine out, mostly donated to family but the foodbank is a good idea.

Sandy-55

@Alexandra100 thank you for that!! oh why can’t peas and sweet corn be low carb..
gutted
Well the man from the food bank picked up the food today 1 1/2 bags of food he did have a shocked look on his face, but was very grateful …I’ll probably be giving him another ring to pick up the quinoa packets and anything else that springs to mind
In hindsight I could have given them to one of my clients who’s a tad thrifty but I’m not sure she should have used them

Reactions: TriciaWs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the man from the food bank picked up the food today
You did well! It took me YEARS to get rid of some things. The worst was the perfectly good stuff that had been opened so just had to be chucked. I still miss some foods. There was a programme on Radio 4 today where an Israeli chef went on about his love of hummus and how utterly delicious it can be. I rather wish I hadn't heard it. And above all, fruit ... But the upside is, I have found bok choi and chicory leaf and bottled artichoke hearts and 100% "Absolute Black" chocolate. I am proud that at the age of 79 I am discovering new (to me) foods.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did homemade burgers sandwiched between 2 mushrooms
What a brilliant idea! Were the mushrooms raw or cooked? I am planning to make sandwiches using Chinese leaf, but I haven't bought it yet.

Sandy-55

What a brilliant idea! Were the mushrooms raw or cooked? I am planning to make sandwiches using Chinese leaf, but I haven't bought it yet.
I cooked the mushrooms in the oven with garlic and cheese then assembled with lettuce …..it was a knife an fork job to messy to pick up mushroom abit watery …but It was enjoyable with a side portion of imaginary french fries lol
Oo never thought of Chinese Leaf I’ll give that a go

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I cooked the mushrooms in the oven with garlic and cheese then assembled with lettuce …..it was a knife an fork job to messy to pick up mushroom abit watery …but It was enjoyable with a side portion of imaginary french fries lol
One alternative is halloumi 'fries' - slice into chip shaped sticks, coat with a little ground almonds for the crunch and fry on each side or bake in a hot oven.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was enjoyable with a side portion of imaginary french fries lol
Celeriac is often used as a lower carb french fries substitute. At 5.9gc per 100g it is outside my budget, but it may work for you.