SWEATING

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually have 2 slices of wholemeal bread and a scrape of marmalade for breakfast. I never test. I work in an office and sweat and drip at my desk. I don't know if my bloods are too low or high. Usually okay when I have eaten lunch. Why is this? I feel I need to change my breakfast but don't know what to have. I don't like eggs. I don't sweat on my day off. Please help!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are any number of things this could be and I don't feel comfortable expressing an opinion in the absence of information. Questions: if you're T2, how are you managing it? If you don't test, why not? What was your last HbA1c? What does the rest of your diet look like (bread - wholemeal makes no difference - and marmalade would be unacceptable for me)? Are there any other health factors - it doesn't always have to be diabetes? Is it anything to do with the office, if it doesn't happen on the day off and you eat the same things?

Reactions: zand

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I am type 2. I am Metformin tablets and my nurse says I do not have to test. My HbA1c was 54 and is usually about this figure. I have changed my breakfast to porridge and still experiencing the same symptoms.

Max68

Just a thought as this happened to me. Are you on any blood pressure meds and if so have they been changed? My GP swapped me from Amlodipine to Ramipril several months back ands I noticed on my daily walk or on the golf course I was sweating profusely to the extent of discomfort. Wasn't sure what it was at first but switched back to Amlodipine and was back to normal within a couple of days. As I say just a thought.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this. No not on any blood pressure tablets as I have low BP.
Glad you feel better x

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I sweat a lot and feel generally hot when my BG is high

One way to find out would be to get yourself a BG meter and test when you feel like this

If your bg is normal then it's something other than the bg

If your bg is >13 then it could be that.. The more under control you get the worse you can feel at the extremes

While your told don't test how are you meant to know how different thing affect you... It's one way of the NHS saving money... If they want you to test it costs them money

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I am type 2. I am Metformin tablets and my nurse says I do not have to test.

Terrible advice that many of us have been given I'm afraid.
Get a meter & eat to it, it's the only way you know, it's your health.

I have changed my breakfast to porridge and still experiencing the same symptoms.

Same nurse probably recommended the food pyramid or Eatwell plate.
Again, terrible advice, you are carb intolerant & bread/porridge are high carb foods.
Get a meter & school up on low carb, you'll be amazed what improvement is possible.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I am type 2. I am Metformin tablets and my nurse says I do not have to test. My HbA1c was 54 and is usually about this figure. I have changed my breakfast to porridge and still experiencing the same symptoms.

Your nurse is wrong. A low-carb diet should get your BG back into normal range fairly quickly. That's important if you want to avoid further rises, unpleasant symptoms, and possible long-term damage.

If your last A1c was 54, it's evidence that your system cannot manage the level of carbohydrate intake you currently have, but it is probable/possible that it could manage a reduced level. We each react differently to various catbohydrates and the only way to find out what is most problematic is to test. That gives you direct knowledge of how you react to your food and therefore the information needed to cut out the things you really can't cope with.

For example - I react badly to cereals - they will spike my BG. I can eat chickpeas and kidney beans without much of an impact, however. I found this out by testing. So - I don't have bread, or porridge, or pastry, but I can have a chilli with beans and curries with chickpeas.

Unfortunately the advice the NHS insists on giving to T2s is to eat carbohydrates. This is backed up by the media parroting about what's "healthy" and what's not. Unfortunately, if you're T2 diabetic as we are, this "healthy advice" is rubbish and positively dangerous. I got to be diabetic thanks to following that pattern - I never ate a lot of sugar but ate lots of bread, pasta, rice, starchy vegetables etc in the mistaken belief they were good for me.

Reactions: coby

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Though do remember as @KennyA stated in their first reply, it may not be anything to do with the diabetes, just because you have diabetes @lynnedeloo does not mean everything you get is caused by it, we can still get all the rubbish that everyone else can get

Iona May

Your nurse is wrong. A low-carb diet should get your BG back into normal range fairly quickly. That's important if you want to avoid further rises, unpleasant symptoms, and possible long-term damage.

If your last A1c was 54, it's evidence that your system cannot manage the level of carbohydrate intake you currently have, but it is probable/possible that it could manage a reduced level. We each react differently to various catbohydrates and the only way to find out what is most problematic is to test. That gives you direct knowledge of how you react to your food and therefore the information needed to cut out the things you really can't cope with.

For example - I react badly to cereals - they will spike my BG. I can eat chickpeas and kidney beans without much of an impact, however. I found this out by testing. So - I don't have bread, or porridge, or pastry, but I can have a chilli with beans and curries with chickpeas.

Unfortunately the advice the NHS insists on giving to T2s is to eat carbohydrates. This is backed up by the media parroting about what's "healthy" and what's not. Unfortunately, if you're T2 diabetic as we are, this "healthy advice" is rubbish and positively dangerous. I got to be diabetic thanks to following that pattern - I never ate a lot of sugar but ate lots of bread, pasta, rice, starchy vegetables etc in the mistaken belief they were good for me.

What I dont understand is the doctors and nurses telling us to eat carbs and then I am taking the Diabetes X-pert course and they say we need to stick to a low carb high fat diet in order to sort our blood glucose out and that the eatwell plate is unsuitable for diabetics!

Reactions: Struma

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
What I dont understand is the doctors and nurses telling us to eat carbs and then I am taking the Diabetes X-pert course and they say we need to stick to a low carb high fat diet in order to sort our blood glucose out and that the eatwell plate is unsuitable for diabetics!
Iona May that's a really good move on your part to take a course that gives you the real facts!
I made the mistake of initially going by my GP and the Diabetic nurse's advise, which was really pushed onto me in a big way. Because we trust them, we think they must be right!
Could you try Greek yoghurt with a few berries for breakfast?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel I need to change my breakfast but don't know what to have. I don't like eggs.

Many, many years before I was diagnosed (25 plus) I spent a lot of time in my office sweating. I know how awful it is. It was nothing more than the menopause. I have no idea how old you are or whether this could apply to you, and I apologise if I have overstepped the mark with this.

It is a great shame you don't like eggs. They are an excellent nutritious food for everyone, not just T2 diabetics.
You could try a full fat Greek yogurt with a couple of strawberries cut up and added, or raspberries. Perhaps even try missing breakfast completely, but have a coffee with plenty of cream rather than milk. This will fill you up nicely.

You must absolutely buy yourself a meter. It is the best tool we have without spending a fortune on a CGM. If you test yourself before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite you will see what that meal has done to your body. Your blood sugars will rise, as would anyone's, but the idea is to keep any rise below 2mmol, preferably lower. Keeping a food diary alongside the testing will allow you to spot trends and patterns.

Of course your nurse told you there is no need for a meter. She is very wrong, but you can't blame her as she is following NHS rules - other than those on certain medications are not allowed meters/test strips on prescription. If they advised us to use them they would have to prescribe them. You will see from the posts on this forum that the vast majority of us self fund our own meters and would not have managed without one. Please consider self funding. We can help you with this if you ask.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of it is due to when they were trained. Younger professionals seem to be much more open to low carb, older ones less so (sweeping generalization, based on my limited experience). I had that experience on my course - the diabetic nurse pushing the "eatwell plate" and the (much younger) dietitian advocating low-carb.

A lot of GPs are deskilled because nearly all diabetic care is handled by a diabetic nurse these days and so doctors in training in a GP practice won't actually often see, evaluate, and treat diabetes - they'll see diabetics, but for other illnesses. The other factor is that the health service usually sees a lot more of people who aren't managing their condition (as opposed to people who are) and therefore will miss a lot of the success stories.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Though do remember as @KennyA stated in their first reply, it may not be anything to do with the diabetes, just because you have diabetes @lynnedeloo does not mean everything you get is caused by it, we can still get all the rubbish that everyone else can get
Try telling a gp this... anything I goto the doctor with the gp says that will be the diabetes

It was thought I had broken my foot recently and the gp text me saying he wouldn't rule out diabetes as the cause of the pain

But you of course are correct we are just as likely or even more likely to get everything else under the sun