Hypo treatment Slow to act

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I've started to notice that when I take my hypo treatment it either is very slow to work or I need to take more before I start to feel better.
I was wondering if it's some sort of sugar resistance ( if that's a thing)

Any and all comments are welcome

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I've started to notice that when I take my hypo treatment it either is very slow to work or I need to take more before I start to feel better.

Do you test with a meter or with CGM/Libre?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Some valid questions asked above by other members. It would be great if you let us know your procedure for treating lows.

Personally, few minutes after treatment, they sometimes can drop lower before they return in range. Pending on what insulin is on board & if there was a meal alreasy in the digestive process?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Some valid questions asked above by other members. It would be great if you let us know your procedure for treating lows.

Personally, few minutes after treatment, they sometimes can drop lower before they return in range. Pending on what insulin is on board & if there was a meal alreasy in the digestive process?

A few months go I had issues with lows due to returning to work after the lockdown and I seemed to be always having hypo treatment.
When I noticed the slow acting time I started to wonder if my body has gotten used to it.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

My treatment is

150ml can of Coke
Small bag of haribo sweets
Chocolate biscuit
Hi I have been told not to have any biscuits as they take longer to digest therefore will slow down the absorption rate of anything fast acting such as the coke or sweets that you have just had. My nurse says drinks or jelly babies are the quickest thing. Are you sometimes having a coke then choc biscuit? Maybe another coke if you are still not going back into range.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been told not to have any biscuits as they take longer to digest therefore will slow down the absorption rate of anything fast acting such as the coke or sweets that you have just had. My nurse says drinks or jelly babies are the quickest thing. Are you sometimes having a coke then choc biscuit? Maybe another coke if you are still not going back into range.

Hi thanks I take the Coke then haribo then the biscuit.
The biscuit is to keep my sugars steady so the drink and haribo doesn't make my sugars rise and then crash

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thanks I take the Coke then haribo then the biscuit.
The biscuit is to keep my sugars steady so the drink and haribo doesn't make my sugars rise and then crash
The biscuit is to be taken once your levels have risen.
If you take it with the fast acting carbs, the fat from the biscuit and chocolate will slow down the absorptiono f the fast acting carbs.
Due to the way that CGMs work, there is a delay - always check hypos with a finger prick before treating and always check recovery with a finger prick.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Dextrose tablets which are 100% glucose. They are small, low cost and fast acting. I may also have a cereal bar for longer-term glucose release. Don't forget the CGM 15 minute reading delay.

Reactions: jonathan183

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I use dextro tablets - pure glucose and they act quite quickly. Coke formulation has been altered because of the sugar tax, it is mainly sweetened with artificial sweeteners, much less sugar then previously (same goes for Lucozade).

If you prefer a liquid anti-hypo google Lift® glucose liquid for some possibilities.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
ive always found hypos to be a little bit of a battle.. whatever you have will take 10 or so minutes to start to take effect and in that time the insulin can still be reducing the bg further.. the risk of taking more to counteract the hypo, is that by the time it takes effect you'll go high then end up battling that

again correct choice of treatment is essential.. biscuits for example will be slower to act, but last longer where as the drinks/sweets will act sooner but be there less time..

as a HGV driver we have to carry both fast acting carbs, along with slower acting carbs to sustain the BG

my current choice is dextrose tablets to treat the low i normally need about 3 depending on how fast im dropping.. and i carry something like belvita for longer acting

Reactions: Struma

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a 4 oz box of Juicy Juice at first, then wait 15 minutes and test again. If I'm still low, another 4 oz box of Juicy Juice and 3 pb and honey crackers. This advice came from my NP who is also a T2 insulin-dependent diabetic.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
either is very slow to work or I need to take more before I start to feel better.
Another thought: For me it always takes longer to get rid of the hypo feeling than of the actual hypo according to a finger prick.
Can it be your BG is already above hypo level with a finger prick before you start to feel better?

Reactions: Struma

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few months go I had issues with lows due to returning to work after the lockdown and I seemed to be always having hypo treatment.
When I noticed the slow acting time I started to wonder if my body has gotten used to it.

What do you do, work wise?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice
I don't rely on cgms during lows just blood testing.
I think my issue is the biscuit it slowing the absorption down,
I will leave it next time I go low and see how I get on

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my issue is the biscuit it slowing the absorption down,
I will leave it next time I go low and see how I get on
The idea is to have the quick acting stuff first, and wait until you're out of your hypo.
And only then have the biscuit to prevent dropping again.