General alcohol and exercise advice

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I’m heading to a wedding on the 24th, haven’t been to a big event since being diabetic due to being diagnosed in 2019 whilst pregnant, then the pandemic hit!

I’m so excited but also a bit apprehensive because I want to have a good time and enjoy it without worrying constantly about highs and lows. I have libre 2 which helps but i still haven’t worked out a balance with alcohol intake aswell as exercise - best believe I will be dancing my **** off regardless, because it’s my first child free night since having her in may 2020.

just wondering if anyone has tips or advice on any way to try and help the day/night go as smoothly as possible without me having a hissy fit or a massive mood swing over blood sugar issues!

thanks

Lisa69free

I've no idea but I hope you manage to enjoy yourself. Personally I'm afraid to have any alcohol, unsure how it'll affect my thinking so I don't feel as aware of my body and maybe not check my blood as often. Could put some alarms in your phone as reminders and hope you are in a fit state to react if needed. The being out dancing and with people will be great though. Hope you have an amazing time

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I’m heading to a wedding on the 24th, haven’t been to a big event since being diabetic due to being diagnosed in 2019 whilst pregnant, then the pandemic hit!

I’m so excited but also a bit apprehensive because I want to have a good time and enjoy it without worrying constantly about highs and lows. I have libre 2 which helps but i still haven’t worked out a balance with alcohol intake aswell as exercise - best believe I will be dancing my **** off regardless, because it’s my first child free night since having her in may 2020.

just wondering if anyone has tips or advice on any way to try and help the day/night go as smoothly as possible without me having a hissy fit or a massive mood swing over blood sugar issues!

thanks

Hi,

Probably the first thing I would say is your alcohol tolerance level may have dropped since pregnancy & the lack of social events?
So, pace yourself there, getting back on the horse.. ;)

If you have an L2 set up on your phone you may well be checking BGs anyway. but you may well not hear any "beeps" if it's the classic wedding disco?
My personal experience with late night revelry & the basal tailing off is hypos are rare. (depends is you take yours in the evening & have no fast acting insulin on board during the "activity" too?) However early morning lows can occur as the liver is busy processing the booze from the night before along with my basal taking effect?

Have a great time. Sounds like you deserved it.. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Chloelox - I agree with Jay, your tolerance will of dropped which means you might not feel a hypo coming too if you're under the influence, so it's best to tread with some caution. I know weddings can bring nerves/excitement too which also impact our blood glucose levels, I attended 2 recently and at my first one I drank alcohol and was fine with my levels, at the second I didn't drink but ran high during the day/night, struggling to get levels down then boom a hypo hit me during the night, so there's no rhyme or reason as to how you will respond, except you still have to remain vigilant and keep checking your libre. Hope you have a great time.

Reactions: Chloelox and EllieM

bmtest

Its a one of event so treat as normal dose wise it maybe dancing will balance the extra food.

With regards to alcohol its just like normal person if you are out of practise its tough you will have to go easy

If in doubt teat at key times and throw fruit juice down you neck every 5th drink of alcohol and nibble on goodies often.

If testing is built into this routine you wiil keep good control allowing for absorption rates.

Reactions: Chloelox

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've no idea but I hope you manage to enjoy yourself. Personally I'm afraid to have any alcohol, unsure how it'll affect my thinking so I don't feel as aware of my body and maybe not check my blood as often. Could put some alarms in your phone as reminders and hope you are in a fit state to react if needed. The being out dancing and with people will be great though. Hope you have an amazing time
I can have a glass of white wine and some nice cheese (2-3 oz ) without any rapid acting insulin. Overall this lowers me later so I have to have planned a meal later and take less rapid acting for my meal and add in an extra slow release carb to cover me overnight. A couple of Nairn’s oat gluten free crackers works for me. I too didn’t drink alcohol for over a year after first diagnosed but have got a little braver now 3yrs on. Small experiments to see how you react are a good start. It’s nice to have an occasional treat. Hope this info helps you. The other drink I have tried is amaretti with double cream (50/50)/in a shot glass. Lovely, not much effect.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

thanks
I went to a wedding just before the pandemic, I found out what the meal was, managed to swap the pudding for cheese and oat crackers. Made sure I had eaten some slow release carbs at the meal and took rapid acting insulin, crackers and jelly babies in my bag to cover all possibilities. Checked myself regularly, I did have to eat at midnight as was going low but caught it in plenty of time, I was a bit cautious but it went well. If you are wearing a Libre tell someone to scan you if you get carried away and wear something you can keep your phone really handy. Tell some trusted friends to keep checking your phone. Have a lovely time.
Also my nurse suggested not injecting pre meal in case it’s late arriving at your table, but inject in between courses. If you have a drink at the meal and are dancing later any spike will probably go quite quick. Worked for me, although I am on Fiasp which works fast so depends what insulin you are taking?

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

thanks

Hi there, I know that throwing caution to the wind isn't a good thing but I would say don't stress too much over it. You know yourself better than anyone and I am sure that you know what your current patterns are and how various things affect you. Therefore, you have a yardstick by which to measure. I would (and do) make sure that before the festivities you check and double check your levels and have something to eat beforehand, in the excitement of the day it's easy to starve yourself in the expectation of a wedding buffet/meal later, but that could mean you start out low or get caught out hypo wise.

At the do, I would just be aware that alcohol can have an effect on your levels usually taking them lower, so I make sure I eat regularly along with the alcohol and test, test, test. You will be dancing (exercising) so that too will have an effect and honestly, it is impossible to factor all these things in exactly. Insulin wise, I would take a unit or two less than normal for my meal and I wouldn't take any for the alcohol, if you go a bit higher than usual so what, in these one off circumstances and whilst in the midst of a party, that's better than going hypo by a long shot.

The aim is to keep from going hypo, to have fun and at the end of it all (next day etc) to come back to your normal levels if you have gone higher than you'd like. I am sure that given all the thought you are putting into it you will have a great time. The only warning I would give is not to get ridiculously drunk to the extent you don't know what you are doing as you do need to monitor yourself whilst you are busy doing your Lady ga ga impression on the dance floor. x

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice is to ask what the courses are so you can kinda think about insulin before, I was bridesmaid in April I injected every 2 courses knowing what was coming next. I always find my levels are fine or high whilst drinking its the hangover I struggle with and am always low pretty much all day.
Make sure you go to bed with some quick acting glucose by your bedside and a carby snack. Check sugars a lot the next day and me prepared honest little and often. (Which i do on hangover anyway )