Blood glucose not going down

ZoeinKent

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable could shed some light on an issue I'm having, please?

My blood glucose levels have recently started staying elevated after eating for about three hours. I've tested at various intervals and they are just staying static. The numbers aren't ridiculously high - late 5s/early 6s usually - but they used to peak around 1 hour and be well on the way down by 2 hours post-meal.

As a bit of background, I was borderline prediabetic 6 months ago with an HbA1c of 41. I then got it down to 31 by eating low carb and running. But I couldn't stop losing weight and was heading for underweight territory, so added some additional carbs back in, which stabilised the weight. I'm now on about 85g a day. I'm also running a little less frequently (increasingly active baby!). All this has meant my levels generally have gone up a bit (eg fasting BG from 4.1 to 4.6ish).

The only other thing that's changed is that I had my second Pfizer jab last week...

Thanks so much for reading - would be v grateful for any thoughts.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Average BG of a non-diabetic is 5.5mmol/L, it's what the body runs at.
It can dip lower during fasting & higher after eating but it looks like your body has found it's level & it's perfect.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see anything for you to be concerned about. Your numbers are perfect.

Maybe reduce the carbs again and replace with good fats and additional protein. That would have been a better plan than increasing your carbs when you kept on losing weight. The less carbs you eat the more fats you need, then find the balance that is right for you to control your blood sugars and your weight. It is what I did when I carried on losing weight, and it worked. Keeping to this way of eating has enabled me to maintain stable blood sugars and stable weight over the last 7 years.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Bluetit. Have fats and proteins in favour of carbs where you can. 85gm of carbs, however, is fine. If you have enough fats & proteins it's unlikely you will continue to lose weight unless you do a lot of exercise. Your numbers are really good.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that fats and proteins are a better way of stabilising weight. And your levels are still normal. But that said vaccines are doing odd things to bgl so I wouldn’t be surprised if a change following this has caused a change. I’d wait it out and maybe tweak the carbs and other macros.

ZoeinKent

Thanks so much to you all for your thoughts. I had initially tried upping the fats and proteins to halt the weight loss, but I seem to be a bottomless pit where they're concerned! I was eating tonnes of nuts, cheese, olives etc and still losing at least 0.2 kilos a day. I paid for a consultation with a dietitian (who is actually an advisor on the Diet Doctor website, funnily enough), and it was she who advised being more liberal with the carbs. But it has definitely sent my numbers higher.

Now that my little'un is needing less breastmilk and I'm therefore burning fewer calories, I'll try adjusting the diet again. I was just panicking a bit that the fact my blood glucose was staying elevated might indicate incipient Type 1 or similar. Hard not to overthink everything when it comes to pre/diabetes, I find!

Thanks so much again for the replies.

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugar was higher for a week after my jabs so could definitely be a factor (my blood looked “stickier” too).

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: EllieM

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable could shed some light on an issue I'm having, please?

My blood glucose levels have recently started staying elevated after eating for about three hours. I've tested at various intervals and they are just staying static. The numbers aren't ridiculously high - late 5s/early 6s usually - but they used to peak around 1 hour and be well on the way down by 2 hours post-meal.

As a bit of background, I was borderline prediabetic 6 months ago with an HbA1c of 41. I then got it down to 31 by eating low carb and running. But I couldn't stop losing weight and was heading for underweight territory, so added some additional carbs back in, which stabilised the weight. I'm now on about 85g a day. I'm also running a little less frequently (increasingly active baby!). All this has meant my levels generally have gone up a bit (eg fasting BG from 4.1 to 4.6ish).

The only other thing that's changed is that I had my second Pfizer jab last week...

Thanks so much for reading - would be v grateful for any thoughts.

Beside the numbers looking ok to me there is 2 point to also remember

1, people have experienced bg rise after covid jab

2 home testing monitors are not 100% accurate typically they have to fall with 15 percent of the true reading and this can vary from strip to strip pot to pot so it's possible 1 pot could read slightly low the next slightly high... but your numbers are still good. The real baseline is your hba1c

Obviously if you raise from 4.1 to 7.9 and it stays there you need to start being concerned, but at them moment don't worry too much