Type 2 Low car-low calorie diet

antonym

Are there any weight loss benefits with a low carb-low calorie diet? And if so what are the recommended intakes for carbs and calories.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I found low carb with some intermittent fasting was more effective without the metabolic slowdown that low calorie can bring.
Having been on multiple calorie restricted diets over the years I found cutting carbs to a minimum far more effective without restricting amounts consumed. So no hunger and long term sustainable results.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would echo what @bulkbiker says. I have lost about 5 stone with just low carb (keto under 30g carb per day). What is more I have kept it off for the first time ever. I did not feel hungry or deprived and therefore was not tempted to cheat. I also put my T2 into remission after less than 4 months

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes a low-carb diet will help with weight loss as there will be fewer amounts of glucose for the body to store as fat. There is no set amount but how about starting with 150gm/day max and going less if you can? Fill up with proteins and fats. I would ignore calories as for us they are based on bad science. For example 100 Kcal of fat will have less fattening potential then 100Kcal of carbs yet they are both 100 Calories and dietitians will treat them the same regardless of food group content. Fats are less fattening than carbs due to the way the body's metabolism works.

Reactions: antonym

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not convinced that calories don't count for weight loss. The body stores excess energy as fat whatever its origin.
A low carb diet reduces glucose in the bloodstream and helps control type 2 diabetes but also many people, including myself, have lost weight easily with a low carb diet. I gave up all things sweet, cakes, biscuits, desserts, fruit, confectionery etc. These foods are high in calories and I suspect my weight loss was a result of giving them up.
The big advantage of using a low carb diet to lose weight is that many people find it much easier to do, and more importantly, sustainable, than just trying to reduce calories in general.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 50 years of various people hammering on about eating fewer calories being how to use weight. It never worked the first time, nor the 12th nor the 20th - but you can't tell those who know better. I was the one doing it wrong.
When I went back to low carb they would beam and congratulate me on finally doing as I was told, and to keep it up now I had converted to their dogma on diet.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a reason that slimming clubs tend to use low calorie diets. They work short term, but long term the weight often goes back on. This is perfect for them as they want to keep their customers on their books, if their diets worked long term they would be out of business.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
There's a reason that slimming clubs tend to use low calorie diets. They work short term, but long term the weight often goes back on. This is perfect for them as they want to keep their customers on their books, if their diets worked long term they would be out of business.
Funny yet true :D

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
If you want to look into low carb/cal, then look up the blood sugar diet. It's an 800 calorie diet that is 50g carb per day. I did it for the initial 8 weeks and wasn't hungry on it. Which surprised me quite a bit.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any weight loss benefits with a low carb-low calorie diet? And if so what are the recommended intakes for carbs and calories.
In my experience, no. Low calorie for me will have a (very) short term impact but (again in my experience) doesn't lead to long-term change. Low carb, on the other hand, works a treat - 20+kg gone, six inches off my waist etc. I don't count calories and am never hungry. I would guess under the "calorie-counting " approach I am taking in more calories now via my keto diet than I was in, say, 2018 - but not in the form of carbohydrates. Calories aren't an issue in this respect.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure the reason the 800 Cal diet works is because the Carbs are low e.g. 50gm and they are the main cause of weight gain.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low calories, on its own, is counterproductive for me. Lower calorie in the form of low carbing is what has kept my weight stable. I cant eat lots of fats and not gain weight. However, this lower calories is around 1400 cals a day. So not very low calorie.

Reactions: zand

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I agree that Low Carb is better (for most) then Low Calorie. I replaced carbs with extra Protein and Fat when I went Low Carb to reduce my Blood Glucose. But I also lost weight despite the fact that I was consuming more calories (Fat has twice the calories of Carbs or Protein).
So the effect was to boost my Resting Metabolic Rate ( ability to use energy from my food) rather than cutting Calories which would have:
A). Made me hungry.
B). Made me have less energy because of reduce calorie intake.
C). Made it harder to keep my weight from going up ( due to lowered Resting Metabolic Rate).

Yet no matter how many times I say this, there are always more people who didn't try Low Carb first but still claim that they needed to cut calories. - As though there is some virtue in reducing BG and weight by trying the hardest (and potentially damaging ) way first rather than the easier way!

antonym

Personally I found low carb with some intermittent fasting was more effective without the metabolic slowdown that low calorie can bring.
Having been on multiple calorie restricted diets over the years I found cutting carbs to a minimum far more effective without restricting amounts consumed. So no hunger and long term sustainable results.

antonym

Many thanks to all who posted replies. The consensus seems to favour concentration on low-carb. I have followed low-carb (40g max per day) for 9 months, and have lost weight (just over 1 stone). I will certainly continue with this diet.

Reactions: zand

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I met up with some friends tonight and realised just how much weight some have put on during lockdown - some seriously affected. There is going to be some seriously slow morris dancing done to work up to the level of fitness they were at before lockdown.
I was having a serious conversation about working out a dance with low energy requirements for them - I'd hate to have them keeling over.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I met up with some friends tonight and realised just how much weight some have put on during lockdown - some seriously affected. There is going to be some seriously slow morris dancing done to work up to the level of fitness they were at before lockdown.
I was having a serious conversation about working out a dance with low energy requirements for them - I'd hate to have them keeling over.

i gained 2 stone during lockdown, I’m 4ft 11 and a pimple so the weight is horrendously noticeable. I look unwell - not surprised I came out of remission. So glad I found this thread and taking the right steps to rectify the damage

Last edited: