Can anyone recommend anything?

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have type 2 diabetes. I have been on empaglifozin 10mg for a couple of years. I can’t increase to 20mg as when I tried it made me light headed so had to move back down to 10mg.

My levels aren’t low enough so my GP put me on 3mg rybelsus tablets to take alongside the empagliflozin. I’ve had the worst side effects from the rybelsus tablets and that was just on the 3mg starting dose so I had to stop as it was getting worse.

I’ve got an appointment with my GP next week to discuss this.

I just don’t know what else I can try to help control my diabetes medication wise? Is there anything that doesn’t cause lots of side effects?

Thanks

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
All the drugs will have side effects of some sort. And they affect everyone differently

So you either try to reduce the need for drugs with low carb diet if your not already.. or you keep trying other drugs until you find one that works

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the drugs will have side effects of some sort. And they affect everyone differently

So you either try to reduce the need for drugs with low carb diet if your not already.. or you keep trying other drugs until you find one that works

Any advice on where to start with Keto? Heard such good things about it and although I know it’s cutting out carbs I’m not sure where to start with it? Thanks

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any advice on where to start with Keto? Heard such good things about it and although I know it’s cutting out carbs I’m not sure where to start with it? Thanks
I think you need to talk to your GP before you start because your medication will need to be adjusted to prevent hypos and some can make it more difficult to detect onset of dka.

PeterWATKSP

Hello all. Thought I would post my good experience of Rybelsus. Type 2 (2009), was on Metformin, Gliclazide, and Dapagliflozin. Follower of Low Carb diet for many years, but no positive results in weight loss, though a reduction in HbA1c to around 55, but unable to get lower.
I did study a large amount of the Rybelsus trial data before deciding it was the drug I wished to try. Diabetic consultant was not initially very supportive, but I was equally insistent. Not available as a NHS prescribed drug in SW London, so having to pay for a private prescription (by my NHS consultant). Sadly, it is available in large areas of the UK as an NHS prescription - the 'Post Code' issue.
The one month introductory dose of 3mg now followed by 98 days at 7mg. I have had a slow but consistent drop in both weight and HbA1c (-8.6kg, and 46). No side effects. With agreement of consultant I have now dropped Glicazide. The trial data saw a maximum weight loss of 15kg, and that's what I aim for. My consultant informed me last week he has now started several other people on Rybelsus.
Hope this is useful information....................Peter

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are on a "flozin" you should move towards low carb or keto SLOWLY ie cutting down on carbohydrates a bit at a time. Lots of people on here go in hard and fast but that is contraindicated with your medications as you could go into a dangerous state called dka.

As someone else mentioned, best done with medical supervision

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can get along with it, have a word with your PCP or your endocrinologist about Ozempic. I'm down 23lbs and I don't think I'm actively suffering as from DM. I'm out of town at the moment but when I get back to Los Angeles I'll get a fresh A1c done to confirm.