had my toe nails removed

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners
hi there just thought i would share with you all that i had my two big toe nails removed a week ago. the podiatrist said it will take up too 12 weeks to recover and heal. I can only wear flip flops at the moment and i cant go out when the weather is wet in case i get my dressings wet.My toes are very sore and quite painful at the moment, but im thinking of the long term effects of haveing them removed, i wont have ingrown toe nails to cause me constant pain anymore. I had the nail bed killed off with an acid so hopefully my toe nails will not grow back. well thanks for reading. take care x starlight.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
The thought makes me shudder! Poor you - get well soon :thumbup: :D

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi . That does sound painful .... oooh I feel for you here !
Am sure with resting them and pain relief ? [do hope you were given something] you will soon be feeling much brighter and back on your feet!!! :lol: [pardon the pun !]
Do let us know how you go on. 12weeks is a long recovery time. Will be needed though, bless you.
Anna.x :D

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Owch, Starlight that sounds awful. Hope you have your feet up and are getting some much needed relaxation. 12 weeks is a long time to recover, but hopefully you'll be on your feet (sorry) in time for summer. Thats if we get one this year LOL! Let us know how you are keeping.

Ann

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners
thanks peeps for your replys, i take oxycontin for a back problem which is an opioid so no other pain meds will touch the pain i have in my toes, i hate haveing to wear flip flops all the time and my feet get so cold. i live on my own so resting is not much of an option for me at the mo, although my lovely sister comes every three days to change my dressings for me and if the weather is dry she takes me out for a few hours to visit rest of family. that is my time too rest. im very independant too so i dont mind not being able to just sit back and rest. The podiatrist said it will take longer to heal because of the disbetes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had my big toe nails removed over 10 years ago, best thing I did as they were forever nipping, the skin goes hard where the nail once was, my podiatrist said removing them now would save a great deal of aggravation later in life.......which is very true! :)

Helenababe

I have always had trouble with ingrowing toe nails but then one of my thumb nails started to ingrow, so I had to have that taken off. So know what pain you're going through.

Helena

kazwbb

I think I need mine removed. I had the edges removed about 10 years ago and it worked well, but recently I have been having problems again so I would be better off with them gone.

It's just I hate feet and post op I know it will be weeks of fussing about my toes yukkk. Stupid I know